PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Hand Statistics, real money games versus Play money?

Amix1
05-19-2003, 03:37 PM
Could anyone tell me please, in terms of percentages, what is considered the ideal statistics for hands played? For example I have received the following report from Poker Stars:
(This was of a short play money game)
31 hands played and saw flop:
- 3 times out of 5 while in small blind (60%)
- 6 times out of 6 while in big blind (100%)
- 11 times out of 20 in other positions (55%)
- a total of 20 times out of 31 (64%)

Pots won at showdown - 3 out of 8 (37%)
Pots won without showdown - 0

Problem is, I do not know in which direction shall I aim to make adjustment in my play style?
I sure would welcome all suggestions.
Also, about what is considered the ideal statistics in play and real money games?
Thanks
Amix1

Nottom
05-19-2003, 05:32 PM
It pretty hard to compare play money games with real $$$ since the avg play money table has about 542925756282 people seeing the flop, but I'll give it a go.

You are seeing way too many flops (with only 31 hands it could just be a good run of cards). My flop % is a little under 30% total (~ 65% from BB, ~35% from SB, and ~25% from elsewhere). In a play game, you can loosen up a bit if people aren't raising too much (unlikely) since people will be showing down all sorts of trash, but I would still be concerned to see a flop % over 40 in any extended session.

As for showdown %, I like mine to be above 50% (I think mine is just under 60, but I can't promise anything) if its too low, you are staying in too long with shady hands and are likely getting out-kickered quite often. If its too high, then you are probably folding too many winners.

Anyway, stats are pretty meaningless without anything else to really back them up. If you want to improve your play, post some hands and let people critique your play. You'd be surprised how much it helps.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-19-2003, 05:55 PM
First off, play money don't mean jack, so forget it. People will do anything with play money, but they get serious with real money. You can't compare the two.

Second, forget the statistics. There are really only two things that matter: Standard deviation and hourly rate after a statistically significant # of hours (which is a LOT). The stats available from online sites are probably going to confuse you more than help.

However, if you MUST look at the online stats, I'd focus on % of showdowns won, and % of flops taken. Just keep in mind that unless you have played many many thousands of hands, these stats are basically 100% meaningless. Since they reset every time you log out, you'll never have a meaningful # of trials, so why bother anyway.

al

SittingBull
05-19-2003, 06:32 PM
to play in the 100/200 "play money" game,one needs at least 5000 play money chips.
Hence,these players are approximately simulating "real money" play--but only because they are striving to maintain their 5000 bankroll.
Happy Pokering, /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
SittingBull

flopdanutz
05-19-2003, 07:10 PM
Whenever I find a loose passive player online playing for real money, I look for them later to find out that they revert back to play money. I wish some of these players would just rebuy.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-21-2003, 06:44 PM
Perhaps.

But I still think it's pointless to maintain stats on non-real money games.

I've never played on the site you mention, so I certainly can't refute what you're saying. And I do respect your opinions, you're a good forumite.

I think tho for the purposes of answering the original poster's question, that he needs to stop worrying about meaningless statistics, as they are not the ticket to winning play for real money.

al

Piers
05-23-2003, 05:42 PM
>Since they reset every time you log out, you'll never have

>a meaningful # of trials, so why bother anyway.

On paradise you can prevent the stats resetting. Hit the palm tree in the top left hand corner of the "Stats for ..." dialog box and select "Preserve stats for next session." menue item.

SittingBull
05-25-2003, 04:09 AM
i" LOL! I agree. one should channel his energies in more productive ways..
Hppy Pokering. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
SittingBull