PDA

View Full Version : Triple Draw Lowball

Buz
10-03-2005, 04:10 PM
TD sounds like it might be fun to try for my Wednesday Night group. Does anyone play it at home? It seems like you would run out of cards all the time. How do you deal with it? Maybe I just don't understand the game.

With 8 people at the table, 40 cards are dealt. Do you collect and shuffle all the discards with the undealt cards or do you deal out all cards first and then shuffle up discards to complete the rest of the draws? It also seems like, by the time you get to that third draw, there will be a very high concentration of high cards in the deck - especially if it is primarily discards. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

SheridanCat
10-03-2005, 04:23 PM
This game is usually played with a maximum of 6 players. If you run out of cards, the discards are shuffled and used. I think you wait for all the discards before shuffling again, but I'm not positive on that.

Yes, you will end up with an inordinant amount of higher cards in the shuffled discards.

Playing with 8 players would be kind of weird. I'd think you'd end up with some pretty poor hands winning. But the normally good but not great low hands would be very powerful.

Though I'm no 2-7TDL expert. For strategy adjustements, you might want to ask in the Other Poker forum.

Regards,

T

TomHimself
10-03-2005, 06:46 PM
yes its 6-max

John Bedtelyon
10-04-2005, 01:25 AM
You shouldn't run out of cards as this game is a 6 player max game. Not sure about the discard but it seems it would be odd in a game to discard a card and be dealt that card back at some point.

Are you playing No Limit or PL or Limit?

Maybe I'll drive and play if you can't find enough interest with your regulars.

JMB

PokerGoblin
10-04-2005, 01:27 AM
TDLB gets called in my home game once or twice a night. I prefer A-5, deuce to seven is a little tougher.

Yes, the mucked cards are recycled once the stub is gone.

Eight handed is a bit rough...but it is manageable.

PG

smoore
10-04-2005, 11:31 AM
there are always a few low cards in the discards because someone paired a low card and had to toss one.v Draw is best played 5 handed.

Buz
10-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I get the feeling that Quarter/Half might not be worth your drive to Ann Arbor???

StevieG
10-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Try splitting your table of 8 into two tables of four for a quick dozen hands of TLD. Then you can recombine.

If you have looser players there will be plenty of action. You'll know soon enough if you don't because no one will want to repeat the experiment ever again.

StevieG
10-05-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there are always a few low cards in the discards because someone paired a low card and had to toss one.v Draw is best played 5 handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you might also try this if some of your players leave and you get a little short handed.

Try that or the splitting up technique. Good luck, and have fun at your game tonight.

10-05-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
TDLB gets called in my home game once or twice a night. I prefer A-5, deuce to seven is a little tougher.
Eight handed is a bit rough...but it is manageable.

PG

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, especially when you two-draw to A-5, you luckmonging bitch.

messenger309
10-06-2005, 05:34 PM
TD is the only limit game allowed in my dealers choice home game (although you can play it PL). My players have really taken to it. It gets a lot of action. We have played with as many as 7 abd the much doesn't get reshuffled as often as you might think.

Careful though, I have been playing a lot online and have concluded that TD is poker's version of crack.

Rob

PokerGoblin
10-07-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, especially when you two-draw to A-5, you luckmonging bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as I know you'll pay pot sized bets with 7-5 chasing is +EV.

PG

Lottery Larry
10-14-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Yes, the mucked cards are recycled once the stub is gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you reshuffle and deal the discards halfway through the round, only when you run out of fresh cards in the stub?

Or do you count the remaining deck (as we do) and if there aren't enough fresh cards, everyone's discards are mixed into the stub, shuffled and then everyone has the same chance to get discards back?

8-9 players should be fine, as long as you reshuffle the discards every time. Makes for a longer game...