PDA

View Full Version : OOT Cornellians?

Paluka
10-03-2005, 03:52 PM
So who else here in OOT went to Cornell? I miss so much of the food in Ithaca.

Los Feliz Slim
10-03-2005, 03:54 PM
[censored] Cornell. My sister and my mother both went there and they still wouldn't let me in - to the ILR school, no less. The day Wash U was ranked above Cornell on some list or another was a good one for me. Enjoy your winters, you bastards.

dtbog
10-03-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm there now. I love it.

Where did you eat when you were here?

We go to the Indian and Thai restaurants fairly regularly, and CTB kicks some serious nubile-freshman-ass.

istewart
10-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Have either of you heard of/do you like the Mahogany Grill? I have spoken with resident ex-2+2 Cornellian CallMeIshmael and he was an idiot on the subject.

I remember it being awesome.

istewart
10-03-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they still wouldn't let me in - to the ILR school, no less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pwnt.

dtbog
[ QUOTE ]
Enjoy your winters, you bastards.

[/ QUOTE ]

winter here is fun /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paluka
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm there now. I love it.

Where did you eat when you were here?

We go to the Indian and Thai restaurants fairly regularly, and CTB kicks some serious nubile-freshman-ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the pizza in Ithaca is pretty good. The Nines has exceptional deep dish, and Rogan's was pretty good in my time for a place that was cheap and delivered. Hot Truck of course is fantastic. CTB is great for breakfast or lunch. Thai Cuisine on 13 by Wegman's is really good. The Chariot is great and has fantastic corn nuggets. Viva Taqueria is very tasty as well.

Paluka
10-03-2005, 04:00 PM
By the way, I'm vegetarian so that makes Ithaca about 100x better than the average town.

dtbog
10-03-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Chariot is great and has fantastic corn nuggets.

[/ QUOTE ]

My girlfriend brought me to the Chariot at the end of last semester because she said I needed to try their corn nuggets before they closed up for good...

... and yes, they boarded up the Chariot over the summer. it's a shame! those corn nuggets were in fact damn good

dtbog
10-03-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I'm vegetarian so that makes Ithaca about 100x better than the average town.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moosewood rocks, and I love meat.

Paluka
10-03-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Chariot is great and has fantastic corn nuggets.

[/ QUOTE ]

My girlfriend brought me to the Chariot at the end of last semester because she said I needed to try their corn nuggets before they closed up for good...

... and yes, they boarded up the Chariot over the summer. it's a shame! those corn nuggets were in fact damn good

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man, that blows. I liked their pizza too.

dtbog
10-03-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oh man, that blows. I liked their pizza too.

[/ QUOTE ]

did they have the cheap Chinese restaurants in ctown when you were here?

We now have Peace Restaurant and Hong Kong Restaurant which each serve Chinese food costing about $4 for a very generous portion. The food isn't great and I never go there, but those two restaurants have become a staple of the ctown community.

BIGRED
10-03-2005, 04:10 PM
"Far above Cayuga's waters, la la la laaaaaaa"
Class of 1994, but didn't leave until 1996. I loved Ithaca that much. Stayed in Mary Donlon my freshman year.

asb165
10-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Class of '00

dtbog
10-03-2005, 04:16 PM
RPU is the best dining hall; the amount of choice they have there now is pretty insane.

- pizza, pasta, burgers/fries/chicken nuggets, quesadillas, soup, salad with every meal.. as well as fruit and desserts
- 2 'stations' that have different entrees every day, along with accompaniments: for example, they'll have turkey in one line, so they'll also have mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, etc.

people actually complain about it, which I think is unreal. have you ever visited friends at other schools? some of the dining halls have one vegetarian choice and one meat choice every day, and that's it.

sfer
10-03-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't miss Ithaca food if you lived in Berkeley.

scrub
10-03-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dated a girl who went to Cornell my first two years in college. The food up there was fantastic--so were the gorges in the summer. So was the golf course, come to think of it.

scrub

scrub
10-03-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't miss Ithaca food if you lived in Berkeley.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are mistaken.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't miss Ithaca weather if you lived in Berkeley.

[/ QUOTE ]

scrub

chisness
10-03-2005, 04:48 PM
i visited but didnt end up going

http://www.chisness.com/cv/DSCF0060.JPG
the campus was really nice but the area is of course very isolated and the suicide stuff was kinda scary :|

have any of you heard the song by cayuga's something, "we didn't go to harvard"?

zokbarjazz
10-03-2005, 04:50 PM
um...and if you don't want to eat out, there's Wegmans. no other supermarket can compare. it's not close.

also
[ QUOTE ]
Moosewood rocks, and I love meat.

[/ QUOTE ]

dtbog
10-03-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

the campus was really nice but the area is of course very isolated and the suicide stuff was kinda scary :|

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't your fault (obviously)... but I hate hearing that, because it gets blown so far out of proportion.

My ex-girlfriend in high school would constantly bring this up: "how can you want to go there? i bet it's so morbid.. with everyone killing themselves and all!" She got it from the media and those infamous 'top 100 colleges' guides, but it's a total exaggeration.

First of all, this is my junior year and we've had 3 notable deaths the entire time I've been here. One was a lacrosse player who was struck in the heart by a ball during a game, and died because of a freak heart-rhythm interruption from which he never recovered. The second was a drunken partygoer who fell into the gorge by accident (as reported by the 10 of his friends who were there and watched him hop over the wrong fence), and the third was a missing person who may or may not have been a suicide (his body was found in the gorge, but he didn't leave a note or anything).

one possible suicide in 3 years -- in a community of 15,000 college-aged kids -- is not a cause for alarm.

Secondly, well, our historical suicide rates aren't even above the national 'per-student' average... but there have been statistically more suicides here because we are a large school (15,000 undergrads, plus grads etc), making the sheer numbers larger.

chisness
10-03-2005, 04:58 PM
i didn't mean i'm concerned about the suicide rate itself, but just the apparent overworking of students, especially in the engineering department didn't make it seem like a very fun atmosphere (could be wrong, but this was the impression i had when searching)

scrub
10-03-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cayuga's something, "we didn't go to harvard"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they're called "Cayuga's Waiters," and that song is hilarious.

scrub

dtbog
10-03-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think they're called "Cayuga's Waiters," and that song is hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

they are, and it is. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

HolyBejeesus
10-03-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The Nines has exceptional deep dish, and the Chariot is great and has fantastic corn nuggets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The Nines has really good corn nuggets now too. Class of 07, but not much of an OOTiot.

10-03-2005, 05:47 PM
the wannabee ivy league

Paluka
10-03-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the wannabee ivy league

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure Cornell is in the Ivy League.

Paluka
10-03-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The Nines has exceptional deep dish, and the Chariot is great and has fantastic corn nuggets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The Nines has really good corn nuggets now too. Class of 07, but not much of an OOTiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good lord I might drive up just to go to The Nines.

10-03-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the wannabee ivy league

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure Cornell is in the Ivy League.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i know that..now read it again.

JordanIB
10-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Class of '04. Miss it every day. Especially Lynah /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for food. 3 words: D.P. Dough.

For real food, Nines is good...so is Franco's up in Rogan's Corner.

And if you still want corn nuggets, my sources tell me they're now being served @ the Nine (same people owned Nines and Chariot).

JordanIB
10-03-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the wannabee ivy league

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody say something about Tufts?

InchoateHand
10-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Didn't go, but grew up in the area.

College Town Bagels, back before bagels were known all over the world, was serving better bagels than anywhere else west of the Hudson before or since.

Still use our two Moosewood cookbooks, and visit most every time I'm in the area.

When I was real small I'd go to the hockey games, and in summer go gorge jumping.

Only problem is that Ithaca is centrally isolated, other than that, great town, and great school. Especially for my current research interests---the Echols library, with over 2 million volumes of Southeast Asian material is the best resource on the planet.

chisness
10-03-2005, 08:38 PM
i dont know why im responding given that any ivy school is so far above the average, but:

cornell is the best ivy for engineering and while not in the HYP class is still better than at least two others

geormiet
10-03-2005, 08:49 PM
I went for my freshman year (98-99) and then transferred. Definitely remember chariots...

scrub
10-03-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
College Town Bagels, back before bagels were known all over the world, was serving better bagels than anywhere else west of the Hudson before or since.

[/ QUOTE ]

The College Town Nutella Bagel rules.

scrub

edtost
10-03-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's not saying much.

InchoateHand
10-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Are you a Geography Snob?

edtost
10-03-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cornell is the best ivy for engineering

[/ QUOTE ]

i beg to differ.

[ QUOTE ]
and while not in the HYP class is still better than at least two others

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, why not? (brown and which of penn/dartmouth?)

edtost
10-03-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you a Geography Snob?

[/ QUOTE ]

i prefer not to pigeonhole my snobbishness with labels.

Voltron87
10-03-2005, 10:37 PM
i wouldnt quite say cornell has the best engineering program of the ivies, but its engineering is definitely a strong point of the school and compare very well to the others.

and though i think these ranking arguments are bullshit once you get to a certain level (cornell definitely makes the cut as a great school), penn is solidly more prestigious/selective/ "better" than cornell.

InchoateHand
10-03-2005, 10:40 PM
"and though i think these ranking arguments are bullshit once you get to a certain level (cornell definitely makes the cut as a great school), penn is solidly more prestigious/selective/ "better" than cornell."

For what programs? Its pretty variable on the graduate level.

And on the undergrad level, these can be excellent schools, but many students would have better access to faculty, smaller class sizes, and perhaps more challenging material at a host of schools outside the Ivies.

Voltron87
10-03-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

For what programs? Its pretty variable on the graduate level.

[/ QUOTE ]

undergrad. i'm well aware of how variable grad schools are. i was also referring to the sort of "rankings/prestige" hysteria, not the actual quality of education. i could never grade on actual quality, i'm not capable of that.

and if you don't get into an ivy league school, just convince yourself of inchoates second point. say it over and over until you actually believe it. that should make the shame go away.

InchoateHand
10-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Well, I'm not going to accuse you of snobbery...

edtost
10-03-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And on the undergrad level, these can be excellent schools, but many students would have better access to faculty, smaller class sizes, and perhaps more challenging material at a host of schools outside the Ivies.

[/ QUOTE ]

while the first two depend on what program you're in more than anything else (at least at my school) and may be true in some more than others, i highly doubt your last point. anyone here who needs "more challenging material" just isn't trying to find it.

InchoateHand
10-03-2005, 10:56 PM
In the sciences, its an erroneous comment.

In the humanities, its spot on. Very few schools offer up to undergrads contemporary disciplinary discussions in their complete and unabridged incarnation. The Ivies are notorious for turning out very well-trained, but overly-regimented thinkers in regards to social and critical theory. I'm constantly impressed when I meet graduate students only just beginning this crucial element of their education (again, in the Humanities), and often these are very bright people with undergraduate degrees from elite institutions. Plus, no undergrads get to interact with the superstars these departments hire, or very rarely. I'm pretty sure of this point.

10-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Class of '88. I lived in old U-Hall 3 freshman year, before they were redone. Those accommodations were just awful.

Voltron87
10-03-2005, 11:19 PM
my parents are academics (phds both of them) and they say a lot of the same things about a lot of the undergrad programs at the top ivies. That many of the classes are crowded and taught by TAs, and the famous faculty are off writing books and teaching the occaisional graduate school class.

Eurotrash
10-03-2005, 11:22 PM
you guys are all academics snobs. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

imported_anacardo
10-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Your mens' fencing team has a very poor attitude.

Oh, that's right. I went there.

theben
10-03-2005, 11:26 PM
nice, you made it out with suicide!

10-03-2005, 11:32 PM
don't mess with our polo teams though

edtost
10-04-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, no undergrads get to interact with the superstars these departments hire, or very rarely. I'm pretty sure of this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

either this isn't true in all cases, i've gotten really lucky, or my "superstar" requirements are too low.

(note that my experiences will likely not translate to schools with large graduate programs (ours is ~1/4th the size of the undergrad program))

edit: wow, i'm a dumbass, i didn't register that this was under 'humanities'....most of the 'superstars' we get to interact with tend to be in math/natural science/engineering

cdxx
10-04-2005, 12:34 AM
miss it too. mama T's, hughes breakfast, and souvlaki house most of all.

haven't been back since graduating in jan 2001.

istewart
10-04-2005, 12:40 AM
Euro you're just pissed cause you went to a state school.

cdxx
10-04-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the apparent underworking of students, especially in the engineering department didn't make it seem like a very fun atmosphere

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

most of the time we were trying to find things to do, rather than feel overworked.

cdxx
10-04-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the wannabee ivy league

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody say something about Brown?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Eurotrash
10-04-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha pwnd. nice.

istewart
10-04-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the wannabee ivy league

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody say something about Brown?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Not these days, although maybe. They probably still have that pass/fail gayness.

mmbt0ne
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
i wouldnt quite say cornell has the best engineering program of the ivies, but its engineering is definitely a strong point of the school and compare very well to the others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you go to one of those schools if you wanted to do engineering?

istewart
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha pwnd. nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pwnd.

Voltron87
10-04-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you go to one of those schools if you wanted to do engineering?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say you would.

mmbt0ne
10-04-2005, 12:50 AM
Good. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cdxx
10-04-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

and though i think these ranking arguments are bullshit once you get to a certain level (cornell definitely makes the cut as a great school), penn is solidly more prestigious/selective/ "better" than cornell.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's widely argued that while cornell is probably the easiest ivy to get into, it's actually the hardest to graduate from. however, i've never heard of penn being a more prestigious/"better" ivy or the other way around. harvard/princeton/yale have reputation as above the rest, but cornell/penn/brown/dartmouth are pretty much the same level, just under those.

istewart
10-04-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's widely argued that while cornell is probably the easiest ivy to get into, it's actually the hardest to graduate from. however, i've never heard of penn being a more prestigious/"better" ivy or the other way around. harvard/princeton/yale have reputation as above the rest, but cornell/penn/brown/dartmouth are pretty much the same level, just under those.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty clearly because Cornell has like a 14k undergraduate student body and 6 of the 8 other Ivies have between ~4-6k.

cdxx
10-04-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my parents are academics (phds both of them) and they say a lot of the same things about a lot of the undergrad programs at the top ivies. That many of the classes are crowded and taught by TAs, and the famous faculty are off writing books and teaching the occaisional graduate school class.

[/ QUOTE ]

went to cornell for 4.5 years (undergrad and one-year grad degree). only had 2 classes taught by TAs, both freshman writing seminars and both with fewer than 20 students. the overcrowded statistic baffles me a bit, freshman survey classes tend to be larger, but i had a total of 2 overcrowded classes post-freshman year. that's the total for math, cs, and literature departments.

can't speak much for humanities departments, but i did not feel that math/cs undergrads were under-prepared/over-trained for grad school.

cdxx
10-04-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty clearly because Cornell has like a 14k undergraduate student body and 6 of the 8 other Ivies have between ~4-6k.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you citing this as a weakness or a strength? it's pretty clearly neither.

istewart
10-04-2005, 01:25 AM
I'm not citing it as either. I'm citing it as a reason that it's "easier to get into."

cdxx
10-04-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

it's widely argued that while cornell is probably the easiest ivy to get into, it's actually the hardest to graduate from.

[/ QUOTE ]

the first part has no bearing whether or not cornell is a good school. the second part (highlighted) actually might.

sorry for hijacking the thread, but i am pretty passionate about my alma mater.

Eurotrash
10-04-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you sound kind of defensive.

cdxx
10-04-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i mean to sound apologetic. seven posts in one hour is excessive.

istewart
10-04-2005, 01:39 AM
I'm not arguing with you dude, lol.

Everyone and their mother can get into Cornell because they can take more kids. This is my point. I'm sure you already knew this, I was just kinda stating the obvious. I didn't mean (or say) anything about graduation requirements.

Although I will say that it being the "hardest to graduate from" sounds like a bunch of crap /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Eurotrash
10-04-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i mean to sound apologetic. seven posts in one hour is excessive.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, no, I meant about your school.

cdxx
10-04-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
well, no, I meant about your school.

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel most people don't know what they are talking about when they say "school X has better student:faculty ratio than your school". i admit to saying those things about an occasional state school, but i am also compelled to refute such statements about cornell.

JordanIB
10-04-2005, 01:48 PM
The "easier to get into" argument is the one of the weakest arguments I've ever seen. It's not the school's fault they can admit 6,000+ kids every year.

Plus to even further show how meaningless acceptance rate is, I'm sure the acceptance rate dropped significantly this past year. Why? Because Cornell had its highest number of applicants ever, due to moving to the common application. Same number of spots + more applicants = lower acceptance rate.

So did moving to the common app make Cornell a "better" school (as seen in its lower acceptance rate)? Of course not.

LET'S GO RED! (Tickets for Lynah East go on sale tomorrow morning..woohoo).