PDA

View Full Version : You're Joking

10-03-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm completely baffled. There are actually human beings out there that have the requisite grey matter to play reasonable poker AND believe in god??? People, get over it. We are here on this big and bad planet we call Earth by weird RANDOM CHANCE. There is no REASON why you met the woman of your dreams or your neighbours kid died of leukemia at the age of two. I REALLY thought that the posters on a poker forum would at least have half a brain.

txag007
10-03-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm completely baffled. There are actually human beings out there that have the requisite grey matter to play reasonable poker AND believe in god??? People, get over it. We are here on this big and bad planet we call Earth by weird RANDOM CHANCE. There is no REASON why you met the woman of your dreams or your neighbours kid died of leukemia at the age of two. I REALLY thought that the posters on a poker forum would at least have half a brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

RJT
10-03-2005, 03:34 PM
David S’s latest creation: Jasper109.

I sure hope David has read Mary Shelley. Or is Mel Brooks' version more appropriate here?

BradyC
10-03-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice baseless assertions, I can do the same. God exists.

10-03-2005, 03:45 PM
I guess GOD must have been REALLY pissed at all of the people in Louisiana. I guess too many of you were laying bad beats on poor unsuspecting poker players.

10-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Perhaps the best first post ever. Welcome to the forums. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-03-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the requisite grey matter to play reasonable poker

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful with your assumptions. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

10-03-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps the best first post ever. Welcome to the forums. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you sir. I'm honoured.

Jeff V
10-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Here's some fuel for the fire.

God never allows pain without purpose.

Maybe it was His way of saying"Wake up!!" He wants us to turn to Him, and I bet quite a few people are doing just that. It seems alot of people need to have nowhere else to turn before they'll say ok God help me out here.

Here comes the flames. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

10-03-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe it was His way of saying"Wake up!!" He wants us to turn to Him, and I bet quite a few people are doing just that. It seems alot of people need to have nowhere else to turn before they'll say ok God help me out here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff,

I hope you were kidding. I REALLY don't understand how it's possible to have an IQ>87.34 and believe in this crap. You really believe in something that was invented by people who thought the earth was the center of the universe? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10-03-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a lot of statements like these. It must be nice to be privy to the thoughts of an "infinite", all-powerful, all-knowing, higher-dimensional being. You really have Him figured out -- He's either revealed everything about Himself to you (and others like you), or your wiser than He is and read him like a cheap paperback, or you're relying solely on writings written by men who were woefully ignorant about the universe and its nature, or you're talking out your ass.

10-03-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a lot of statements like these. It must be nice to be privy to the thoughts of an "infinite", all-powerful, all-knowing, higher-dimensional being. You really have Him figured out -- He's either revealed everything about Himself to you (and others like you), or your wiser than He is and read him like a cheap paperback, or you're relying solely on writings written by men who were woefully ignorant about the universe and its nature, or you're talking out your ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

10-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Further to my opening post.
I have only been reading this forum for a couple of days, and I'm AMAZED by the quantity (and quality?) of the discourse. I really don't think there is anything to add as minds much greater than mine have beaten this topic to a pulp.
I guess all I can say is that if you REALLY think that each daily event that occurs on our planet is predetermined by a god, you are completely dillusional. I understand why you can't accept the fact that there is no reason for your existence, and in fact I envy your BELIEF. Sorry bro, we're all going to die, turn to dust, and 3000 years from now nobody will give a crap if we were the president, a teacher, a serial killer, or whatever. Like the old saying goes, life sucks, and then you die.

Georgia Avenue
10-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Thank you and goodbye...

10-03-2005, 05:12 PM
The truth hurts that much?

purnell
10-03-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned.

[/useless post]

10-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself.

http://www.eadon.com/phil/godsofabsurd.php

10-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Part 2

http://www.eadon.com/phil/godsofabsurd2.php

RJT
10-03-2005, 07:29 PM
First post and you got a compliment (from OOO, who I like to call the poster formerly known as the Little Prince.) Congrats.

Then a post with simply a re-quote.

Then 2 posts that are only links.

Don’t lose your audience. They (we) are fickle.

Welcome to the forum.

Btw, you won’t pay your dues until you get really flamed. When that happens, brush yourself off and then get back on the horse.

Jeff V
10-03-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Btw, you won’t pay your dues until you get really flamed

[/ QUOTE ]

When does that end? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jeff V
10-03-2005, 07:39 PM
His name will be screwtape. Screwtape will give thought provoking answers like:

I don't give a crap
you're delusional
the purple unicorn did it
Oh yea just say god willed it huh
and...

you've been listening to jeff v too long

RJT
10-03-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Btw, you won’t pay your dues until you get really flamed

[/ QUOTE ]

When does that end? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually this forum is not unlike Hell. The flames are eternal.

Btw, if you have to ask - you haven't paid 'em. You'll know, like dealing with bad beats.

10-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Trust me, I'll be flamed soon enough. Just wait until I post a retarded Stars $10+1 question in the SNG forum.

malorum
10-03-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I REALLY thought that the posters on a poker forum would at least have half a brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

The forum and its poker and logic related posts continue to inspire confidence in the profitability of poker as an enterprise.

As for the God thing. Well I know an awfull lot of stupid atheists, and at least one devout muslim who would fit the bill for the Oxbridge PHD genius category Sklansky describes.

malorum
10-03-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I REALLY don't understand how it's possible to have an IQ>87.34 and

[/ QUOTE ]

87.34 = your result on WAIS.

Way cool.

Could you post your subtest scores as well.

mostsmooth
10-03-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff,

I hope you were kidding. I REALLY don't understand how it's possible to have an IQ>87.34 and believe in this crap. You really believe in something that was invented by people who thought the earth was the center of the universe? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
the earth is the center of the universe

NotReady
10-03-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You really believe in something that was invented by people who thought the earth was the center of the universe?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the accepted science long before Christianity. The smart people of the day, the Greeks, came up with geocentrism.

[ QUOTE ]

Indeed, the Greek astronomer Heracleides (c.390-310 BC) was one of the first to propose that the Earth rotates on its axis. He was a pupil and assistant at Plato's Academy in Athens, later opening his own school in Pontus. He also put Earth in the center of the universe. proposing that the Sun revolves about the Earth and the planets Mercury and Venus revolve around the Sun.

Aristotle, as we have seen, systematized the geocentric world system was the Earth-centered view of the universe systematized by in the 4th century BC. This was further elaborated by Ptolemy (Latin name, Claudius Ptolemaeus) in the 2d century A.D. The idea was universally accepted and prevailed for 14 centuries, until the time of Copernicus in the 16th century.

[/ QUOTE ] History of Science (http://www.rit.edu/~flwstv/aquinas.html)

bocablkr
10-03-2005, 11:23 PM
As for the God thing. Well I know an awfull lot of stupid atheists , and at least one devout muslim who would fit the bill for the Oxbridge PHD genius category Sklansky describes.

Doubtful - by the way, how do you spell awful?

AngryCola
10-04-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
minds much greater than mine have beaten this topic to a pulp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.

RJT
10-04-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Trust me, I'll be flamed soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was obvious from the git go. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

chezlaw
10-04-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
minds much greater than mine have beaten this topic to a pulp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone is expecting to break new ground (maybe DS?). Isn't the idea to understand things better and maybe understand each other.

chez

RJT
10-04-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
... Isn't the idea to understand things better and maybe understand each other.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Chez,

I think you and I are pretty much alone in this thought. Actually there are a few others. I’ll let them “out” themselves. I won’t name names.

RJT

10-04-2005, 09:53 AM
What makes you think that all these posters necessarily play reasonable poker?

10-04-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Be careful with your assumptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry kidluckee, I didn't mean to be redundant. I somehow overlooked that you already mentioned this point.

mackthefork
10-04-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Chez,

I think you and I are pretty much alone in this thought. Actually there are a few others. I’ll let them “out” themselves. I won’t name names.

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand myself yet, so understanding everyone else might be a non-starter.

Mack

10-04-2005, 10:28 AM
The one thing that really annoys me is people praising god for the good things that happen in their lives, but not mentioning god when something less appealing occurs.

They interview hurricane survivors that claim it was a "miracle" and "an act of god" that they survived. You would have to be a borderline narcissist to believe that god "chose" you to survive while allowing your neighbour to perish.

Or baseball players who point to the sky while circling the bases after a homerun. So if it's game 7 of the world series, god "decides" which team will win, or which player will be the hero or the goat? What if there are devout believers on each team? God has to make a choice?

I just can't get my brain around the concept of someone actually "believing" that the myriad of events occurring on earth every day are somehow predetermined. The fact that I'm in a busy airport in London and I walk by someone from Brussels at a particular instant in time was predetermined?

So are we free to behave in any way we want to, or did god decide who was going to perish in a particular plane crash?

I understand that morons like Bush, and politicians in general, have to pander to the Christian right to varying degrees, but when a semi-intelligent person like Bill Clinton talks about god it makes my skin crawl. It would be refreshing to see a politician come out of the closet and say what he/she TRULY thinks.

txag007
10-04-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The one thing that really annoys me is people praising god for the good things that happen in their lives, but not mentioning god when something less appealing occurs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the opposite tends to be true for many Christians. We forget that we need God during the good times, but we suddenly become very religious when tragedy strikes.

Is your disbelief based on any certain concept? A personal experience maybe? Or is it just your perception of all Christians as stupid?

10-04-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the opposite tends to be true for many Christians. We forget that we need God during the good times, but we suddenly become very religious when tragedy strikes.

Is your disbelief based on any certain concept? A personal experience maybe? Or is it just your perception of all Christians as stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was raised a Catholic, have taught at Catholic high schools, but I just reached a point in my life where I came to the conclusion that I was an atheist.

I think a lot of it has to do with my Math and Science background, and the research that I have done.
I spent most of a summer a couple of years ago reading a lot of literature on evolution, archeology, religions, and other related topics.

I have just come to the conclusion that the big bang theory, evolution, and recent scientific studies do a very good job of explaining everything.

I put religion (belief in a god) in the same category as astrology, reading of palms, mythology, and all of the other beliefs that are very antiquated in the face of what we know about our universe, solar system, etc. Some people HONESTLY believe that horoscopes are accurate and meaningful even though there have been studies to debunk that idea.

As you say, when things go badly people need a crutch or some reason to go on. If your child dies, you need to believe that you will see that child again, or there is a REASON that it happened. If it comforts people, that's great, but that doesn't mean there is any truth in it.

Jesus was charismatic, people followed him, and some myths about him survived and just became more popular than myths about other charismatic leaders.

RJT
10-04-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Chez,

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand myself yet, so understanding everyone else might be a non-starter.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder why I click so well with you Brits: I don’t understand you either Mack. Just kidding, bud. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

David Sklansky
10-04-2005, 12:55 PM
"I was raised a Catholic, have taught at Catholic high schools, but I just reached a point in my life where I came to the conclusion that I was an atheist.

"I think a lot of it has to do with my Math and Science background, and the research that I have done.
I spent most of a summer a couple of years ago reading a lot of literature on evolution, archeology, religions, and other related topics.

I have just come to the conclusion that the big bang theory, evolution, and recent scientific studies do a very good job of explaining everything.

I put religion (belief in a god) in the same category as astrology, reading of palms, mythology, and all of the other beliefs that are very antiquated in the face of what we know about our universe, solar system, etc. Some people HONESTLY believe that horoscopes are accurate and meaningful even though there have been studies to debunk that idea.

As you say, when things go badly people need a crutch or some reason to go on. If your child dies, you need to believe that you will see that child again, or there is a REASON that it happened. If it comforts people, that's great, but that doesn't mean there is any truth in it.

Jesus was charismatic, people followed him, and some myths about him survived and just became more popular than myths about other charismatic leaders."

The succinctness of your words, plus the fact that you were once Catholic, compels me to annoint you as my successor, ahead of more experienced posters, as I leave everyone to pursue Mormonism.

RJT
10-04-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This all(the topics in general) really isn’t "rocket" science. If you are content in not knowing what started the whole shebang and are not looking for possible unproven (probably un-provable) scenarios that work for you; there really isn’t much to explore.

Science, I think, admits that we don’t know if the universe had a beginning or will end. We certainly don’t know, if it did have a beginning, then what started the whole process. Religion admits its system is based on faith. So until/if science comes up with a good answer or religion gives you one you are satisfied with, sounds like you should be all set until then.

chezlaw
10-04-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Chez,

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

Much easier to understand other people. Then just reflect.

chez

10-04-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The succinctness of your words, plus the fact that you were once Catholic, compels me to annoint you as my successor, ahead of more experienced posters, as I leave everyone to pursue Mormonism.

[/ QUOTE ]

David,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Unfortunately, I like you, am on to bigger and better things. (the SNG forum) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

10-04-2005, 04:24 PM
http://www.400monkeys.com/God/

10-04-2005, 04:38 PM
My FINAL salvo. Some great reading here. If you TRULY have an open mind check them out.

http://www.evilbible.com/Top_Ten_List.htm
http://www.godlessgeeks.com/WhyAtheism.htm
http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/dawkins3.htm
http://jmarkgilbert.com/atheists.html
http://www.nobeliefs.com/

AngryCola
10-04-2005, 05:41 PM
I know that I can't really know.

People who think they know for sure one way or another are both extremely silly to me. Neither side has any real definitive proof one way or another.

Also, the more our race finds out about the universe, the more it becomes obvious that we don't really know a whole lot about the nature of our reality. This is why I have always believed it is foolish to delude myself into thinking that I "know" if there is a god or not.

sexdrugsmoney
10-04-2005, 06:20 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I know that I can't really know.

People who think they know for sure one way or another are both extremely silly to me. Neither side has any real definitive proof one way or another.

Also, the more our race finds out about the universe, the more it becomes obvious that we don't really know a whole lot about the nature of our reality. This is why I have always believed it is foolish to delude myself into thinking that I "know" if there is a god or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to spend more time with us here. (BTW have you heard of my friend Pascal?) /images/graemlins/grin.gif