PDA

View Full Version : $33 - microstack question

schwza
10-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1440)
Button (t50)
SB (t4110)
BB (t2400)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
hero?

10-03-2005, 02:56 PM
I had almost this exact situation a little while ago. I folded but I felt really weak doing so. I really don't like any option here, but I think you have to fold.

pooh74
10-03-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1440)
Button (t50)
SB (t4110)
BB (t2400)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because your stack is ultra-representative of 3rd place money already, a call is best because it does nothing to change that...yes button might fold and if he does, BB should push you etc...but there are chances that it doesnt work like that, and those chances are large enough to risk losing this meaningless 150 here.

10-03-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hero (t1440)
Button (t50)
SB (t4110)
BB (t2400)

hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every scenario has a problem. The problem with folding is that you have a very strong hand 4-way. The problem with calling is that you are unlikely to flop a set and are easily played off by a much weaker hand. The problem with a standard raise is that if the big stacks know what they are doing (or don't know what they are doing but reraise you for the wrong reasons) you must fold. The problem with going all in is that if you are called you'd rather have folded.

I would suggest a raise of more than minimum but not more than 3xblind if and only if you think the big stacks are neither the type 1) to reraise you with any two because they know it's a profitable play or 2) to reraise you because they think their A6 or KJ must be ahead.

Unless you think the table meets that criterion, you should just fold. I don't like calling here, you will only want to play if you make a set.

junkmail3
10-03-2005, 04:22 PM
I like calling. If you get pushed fold. If you get called, take a stab at the pot on the flop, if you get pushed fold.

Or you could just raise to 350 preflop and try to take it down. Fold to a push. I don't really mind being aggressive here, people fold more often than they should.

Should you make any play against me and I'm the 4100 stack, I'm pushing anything though (I wouldn't call a push)

But you clearly can't push. I'd probably end up calling and taking a stab on the flop though. The problem with raising, is if you just get called, it's pretty expensive to go after it on the flop and you have to become ultra weak and hope to get to the river very very cheap, not being able to call any reasonable bets without being crippled yourself.

HighestCard
10-03-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest a raise of more than minimum but not more than 3xblind if and only if you think the big stacks are neither the type 1) to reraise you with any two because they know it's a profitable play or 2) to reraise you because they think their A6 or KJ must be ahead.

Unless you think the table meets that criterion, you should just fold. I don't like calling here, you will only want to play if you make a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this meathod also. I would try a t400 raise here, fold to any re raise pf. Stay passive on the flop if you see one. This situation is a point where you can afford the risk of spewing some chips to be able to maintain your stack, giving you a better chance at second. If your attempt fails you still make it to 3rd 98% of the time.