PDA

View Full Version : 6-12 KJ one off the button

Schmed
05-19-2003, 12:59 PM
folded to the guy before me he raises, (mp). I 3 bet, button calls, sb calls, BB calls.

Flop

A /forums/images/icons/club.gif 10 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

MP bets, I call, button calls, SB calls, BB calls

Turn

J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

MP bets, I call, button folds, SB calls, BB calls

River

4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

MP bets, I fold, SB calls, BB folds

MP shows down A,10 suited. SB mucked. I figured the SB as Q something, maybe even A Q.

thoughts

Preflop, I was reraising to try and get it heads up. I figured that I had a decent hand and that I could get the blinds out with them having to call a 12 dollar bet and the button to go away for 18. I really didn't like it when it backfired.

Flop. I put the MP on A something. I thought he may have the 2 pair or possibly a set. I hate calling like that but I have to think that folding was a mistake. I was thinking about raising but I was a little shell shocked by the fact that I was called on my preflop raise.

Turn.
Assuming that none of my fellow players had a jack I just picked up a couple of more outs.

Flop

Didn't hit so I split.

How horrible was my play preflop given that I had position on all but one player and I had at least a solid hand?

Nottom
05-19-2003, 01:15 PM
No offense, but if you are 3-betting with KJ on a regular basis, I understand why you got 3 cold-callers. I really don't like the pre-flop raise, hes still early enough that he has to have somesort of hand to be raising here. I'd want a PP or at least an Ace here to 3-bet.

After the flop, the pot is so big you have no choice than to call and hope for a Q (getting 17-1 on the flop and 10.5-1 on the turn). Raising is a mistake since you shouldn't want to push out the other players should you hit your hand.

WiredPair
05-19-2003, 01:17 PM
You didn't mention if you KJ was suited or not (or maybe I missed it). However, even if it was suited, I don't like the pre-flop raise unless you have a great read on the raiser. If you are trying to isolate him, you want to isolate when you think you're ahead, right? Do you think you're ahead against the raiser pre-flop? Have they been raising with questionable hands? He didn't re-raise, so maybe your're not up against a big pair, maybe AK, AQ?

When an A comes on the flop, you can't be happy. You've got to believe that your only out is a Q (if you put him on an A).

Once you see the turn you've picked up a few more outs (two J's). Without thinking through where the pot is at now, you are most likely correct in calling a bet now.

On the river, I think you have to fold. What could he have possibly played that you can beat?

Bob T.
05-19-2003, 01:41 PM
I would have mucked preflop without a second thought, unless I thought that my right hand opponent was way out of line, and even then I would probably have thought about it, and mucked.

If you are going to play, three betting is the way to go.

CrackerZack
05-19-2003, 02:19 PM
Fold pre-flop.

Fold on the flop.
Edit: I missed the button and BB calling (reading to fast), call the flop and turn due to odds of spiking a Q or a 3rd J.

Call on the turn athough I wouldn't consider the 3 Ks clean outs.

Fold.

Schmed
05-20-2003, 08:38 AM
No offense taken.

No I rarely have made that play. I have had some success at times taking it to three bets and making it heads up. This time it obviously backfired. I can't imagine pulling this play out of my bag of tricks anytime soon.

Thanks for the responses.

biggambler
05-20-2003, 09:13 AM
Fold pre-flop. Unless you are sure he is a maniac and the blinds will fold.

lil'
05-20-2003, 09:14 AM
Did you have a reason for 3 - betting? Is the raiser a loose raiser or a maniac? Otherwise you are placing three bets in the pot with a hand that may very well be dominated.

Schmed
05-20-2003, 09:38 AM
I have played the initial raiser a few times. He get's real passive when it's heads up and you show aggression. Really though I wanted to get it heads up and win with my overcards or a bluff. I really thought it was raise or fold preflop so I figured with my position and because he acted right before me that it was a good time to try that play.

Thanks....

Ed Miller
05-20-2003, 10:34 AM
I really hate the preflop play. KJ is not a decent hand... it is a poor hand. Unless you think MP is a maniac and will raise with all sorts of trash, then just muck it and go on. KJ no good.