PDA

View Full Version : Choose Wine for this Dinner

10-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Dinner at my place. I shall be serving Shrimp Alfredo as the main course. This will be prefaced by a tasty salad with italian dressing. Dessert shall consist of possibly mint milanos and choc chip cookie dough ice cream. Hopefully dessert will be kept short because the meal has made her too horny.

I suck at wine. I need a wine to accompany this meal. Please suggest what sort of wine I should pick when I go to the grocery store today with 20 dollars.

It is important that the wine I get does not suck, because... SIIHP.

MrTrik
10-03-2005, 12:42 PM
LeCrema or Diamond (Francis Ford Copola is another name for Diamond) Chardonnay.

irishpint
10-03-2005, 12:44 PM
carlo rossy

10-03-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
carlo rossy

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't need an entire friggan jug of wine for 20 bucks. Seriously people if I didn't at least know not to go with the Carlo and actually took this advice she would stand up and leave as soon as she saw the wine. Better advice pls!

I guess I will just have to wait for Diablo to give his opinion, he gets all the chicks.

M2d
10-03-2005, 01:18 PM
get a nice pinot grigio.

HDPM
10-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Depends on her. A dry white as suggested would work. You might also consider sparkling. An Italian sparkling wine would probably work. How much does she like wine? Do you know? A lot of women love sweet Italian sparkling wines, and may prefer that over something else. A bottle of Cinzano or something might do the trick.

jb9
10-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Sauvignon blanc. Kendall Jackson makes a good reasonably priced one.

It is a little dry though, so if you/she want something sweeter try pinot grigio or Chateau St. Michelle Reisling. If you want to spend a few extra bucks get the Chateau St. Michelle Eroica Reisling. It's good.

Also, chardonnay would be fine. Get something over $12 from sonoma county.

Enjoy.

BoogerFace
10-03-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
get a nice pinot grigio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spend $15+ a bottle.

Gamblor
10-03-2005, 01:38 PM
no.

save your pinots for heavy food, beef with sauces, etc.

preferably a very light dry one, because the sauce is wet enough. I've never eaten shrimp before, but the thick, heavy, alfredo sauce just begs for a chardonnay.

Analyst
10-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Caymus Conundrum; bring a couple of extra dollars if need be.

Ulysses
10-03-2005, 02:59 PM
The gold standard for wine recs is not me, it's HDPM.

Chardonnay would be my default choice here. For $15-20 I think you can get a nice Clos du Bois or Gloria Ferrer Chardonnay, as well as many others (Hess, Sterling, to name a couple more that are good values in that price range).

Sparkling wine is always great as well, though I would edge towards a more traditional one rather than a sweet one. Piper-Sonoma, Gloria-Ferrer, and Domaine Chandon are among the reasonable choices in the $15 range.

MrWookie47
10-03-2005, 03:15 PM
While any number of $20 Chardonnays will be fine choices, you could try out a Viognier (vee-oh-NYAY) in the same price range. I find that varietal has many more interesting flavors, and may be a welcome surprise to a lot of people who've no doubt consumed a lot of Chardonnay.

Ulysses
10-03-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While any number of $20 Chardonnays will be fine choices, you could try out a Viognier (vee-oh-NYAY) in the same price range. I find that varietal has many more interesting flavors, and may be a welcome surprise to a lot of people who've no doubt consumed a lot of Chardonnay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good suggestion. However, I think you have a tougher time finding a really good Viognier in that price range. If he goes to a wine store, great idea. Grocery store, I'd stick with Chard.