PDA

View Full Version : Was I chastised for the right reason?

Joe Tall
05-19-2003, 12:09 PM
Foxwoods 2/4 - 1 orbit after my Straddle hand. I have a tight aggressive image and 3-betting out of the blinds has been getting limpers to fold.

Only 1 limper in EP, and Loose Agressive player on the button raises. I saw her raise with/Axs a few times and 77, 66, even 98s.

I'm in the SB w/ A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif and I 3-bet to isolate. (a little over aggressive but I knew I could out play her.)

Oops, the BB (new player) caps it!

Limper folds, Button calls, I call.

Flop: 4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

I bet, BB calls, Button calls (ok she has a small pocket pair and will pay off, but I'm not sure what the BB is doing)

Turn: T /forums/images/icons/spade.gif
I bet, BB raises, Button calls, I call.

River: K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif
Now the BB starts to growl, so I bet out.
BB calls, button folds (she said she had 88).

My Q high flush is good.

Now the BB starts to berrate me, saying, 'you only had one way out and that was the spade' as he flips over QQ and slow-played set.

I think I played the hand correctly, what do you think?

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-19-2003, 12:19 PM
You were getting what, 11-1 to call the turn raise? What's his problem? He's lucky you didn't reraise him on the turn.

Nottom
05-19-2003, 12:27 PM
I count 9 ways out /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

You played it fine, if he gets that torn up over TP/TK going runner-runner on him I'd hate to see his reaction when he gets beat by a hand that had no right to be there. Actually, then again I very well might enjoy seeing him tilt away all his cash as long as I get a piece of it.

Ed Miller
05-19-2003, 12:30 PM
I think you need to be much more concerned postflop that your top pair is no good when you are 4-bet from the BB preflop. The only reasonable hand he could have that you can beat is AK. You are just walking in to an obvious turn raise when you play the way you do.

I think the BB chose a poor time to slowplay. When you bet into a preflop 4-bettor, you'd better be looking for flop action because you're almost always gonna get it. BB should have raised the flop without question with the nuts.

BTW, your preflop 3-bet is just fine, but when you get 4-bet... oops is right. You can't feel good about hitting either a Q or an A (though I'd feel a little better about an A). You can't fold postflop because the pot is big and you clearly at least have outs if you aren't good yet. But don't walk into the raise like that... ick.

Ed Miller
05-19-2003, 12:32 PM
Are you even kidding me? 3-bet the turn? Are you mad? AQ no good on the turn... for sure.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-19-2003, 12:56 PM
That's what I get for forgetting the /forums/images/icons/wink.gif in my wise-a$$ post.

Joe Tall
05-19-2003, 12:56 PM
Yes, I bet into him on the flop for information...I figured I was losing to AA, KK or QQ and but when he called the flop I wasn't sure where to put him, I actually feared AK with the A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif when the 3rd /forums/images/icons/spade.gif hit the turn but this is actually when I sensed some weakness from the BB...he didn't like the spade..and the growl grew when the 4th /forums/images/icons/spade.gif hit, so I led out again.

The only reasonable hand he could have that you can beat is AK.
JJ wouldn't have been unreasonable, even TT in this Loose game.
Thank you for your response,
Joe

Joe Tall
05-19-2003, 01:04 PM
Actually, then again I very well might enjoy seeing him tilt away all his cash as long as I get a piece of it.

Oh, he spilled his stack after that and I got a good chunk shortly after when my KK took down is AJ w/a Jxx flop.

CrackerZack
05-19-2003, 01:14 PM
This is a tough position to be in. You can't like anything that hits your hand. The BB definitely should not have slow-played this hand. What could have have that would only call this flop, AK or JJ (although JJ raise from the BB he better be very sure the limper and button will fold). With you raising from the worst possible position, AA and KK are very distinct possibilities and when he gets his dream flop, he should press hard. The flush draw on board is all the more reason. I don't like your turn bet but you have to call with the 2nd nut flush draw. sure you only had 1 way to win, but that one way included 9 outs which was plenty.

Zag
05-19-2003, 01:15 PM
Consider yourself chastised for failing to say, "What was that? I couldn't hear you over the sound of stacking these chips."

Joe Tall
05-19-2003, 01:23 PM
I gotta remember that Clarkmeister classic...but this guy was right next to me and out weighted me by 60 pounds with a complete Hell's Angels look and considering I'm 6'7" 215lbs...that's alot to say.

bernie
05-19-2003, 08:46 PM
the fact that he is considering hitting a spade as one out should tell you how much credence to give his statement.

he was doomed to lose this hand. i dont see where i wouldve laid it down.

he also played the flop ok, even the turn. but it was kind of obvious he was beat on the river. he couldve folded and saved a bet.

screw him!

b

bernie
05-19-2003, 08:56 PM
one thing about the BBs waiting to the turn, he charged the hell out of that draw, didnt he?

i dont agree that his waiting was that bad a move. however, i think his turn play is better if a non-scare card hits instead of one that makes a flush.

though id have raised the flop, for different reasons other than protecting and charging, his play has merit.

b