PDA

View Full Version : The Movie "Proof"

andyfox
10-03-2005, 12:05 PM
Interesting movie. It's a downer, as the star of the movie, Gwyneth Paltrow, is despressed or despondent or crazy or all three. Her father, Anthony Hopkins, has just died. He was a great mathematician, but went crazy and she cared for him the last few years of his life.

Then, looking through his papers, they find a great mathematical proof. It's in his handwriting, but she claims she wrote it.

The four lead actors (the other two are Jake Gyllenhaal [or whatever the hell his name is], and Hope Davis) are terrific. The movie is too talky, but I guess that's what happens when the playwright writes the screenplay from his own play. I guess the playwright was trying to show how difficult it is for people to forego being selfish and to do the right thing, and maybe too the fine line between genius and madness.

Don't go for an uplifting experience. The math geeks in the audience really loved it.

BoogerFace
10-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Paltrow is a hag. I had to suffer through that [censored] karioke movie she was in on a plane once.

Remind me to kick Huey Lewis in the nutz.

scott8
10-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Saw the play on Broadway with Anne Hesch (sp?) and Doogie Howser as the main characters. Liked it alot, but not sure the transfer to the big screen does the script anything but a disservice.

BoogerFace
10-03-2005, 01:48 PM
"What's karate-okey?"

Did they have that hacked up line on Broadway? I almost lost it when I heard that.

HDPM
10-03-2005, 02:12 PM
yeah I saw it on broadway but with a different cast. Liked it a lot as a play. I agree it is better as a play. Have not seen the movie tho, and probably won't.