PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get it.

dibbs
10-03-2005, 10:31 AM
NASCAR. WTF? I simply cannot understand this. And I'm putting this here instead of sporting events because I don't think it fits the definition of a sport.

I'm not talking crap about it, I honestly want to know, because I try and rationalize it but I can't. Why are people interested in which car makes it around the circle the fastest? Why do people revere the drivers? Why would people put #8 stickers on their car and wear the hats? What is it about this activity that captivates a massive number of Americans?

I'll understand if I get a lot of "it's just like rooting for any other team sport" type responses, but anything more would be appreciated. I want to understand.

Edge34
10-03-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll understand if I get a lot of "it's just like rooting for any other team sport" type responses

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd get this because, basically, that's wahat it is. Why do people revere the quarterbacks and the point guards, why do they buy the jerseys?

There's an adrenaline level that goes along with machines going at ridiculously high speeds, especially at the superspeedways like Talladega and Daytona. The drivers are incredibly skilled to do what they do - ever seen 3 cars wide at 165 on the highway, 3 inches apart?

This is most definitely a sport - direct competition between the drivers (And their teams). There's so much work involved in this thing, between fuel calculations, pit stop times, and car testing at each different track. Its not just a bunch of hicks putting a car out there and saying "Go faster, dammit!".

Oh yeah, and there's the crashes. Of course, I don't think I'm going to change your mind about this, but that's what I could come up with this morning, sick and dog-tired, getting ready for class.

See you in Sporting Events, when this goes there.

jakethebake
10-03-2005, 10:37 AM
They build really fast cars and drive them in circles. What's not to get? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

dibbs
10-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Eloquently worded compared to most of the responses I've gotten in person. I think the crashes get mentioned first most of the time though.

Thank ya.

MrTrik
10-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Maybe it's the chicks?

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/1723/35259db.jpg

ChipWrecked
10-03-2005, 10:41 AM
NASCAR was born from moonshine drivers in the South racing their hot rods against each other. They built hot rods to outrun the police. So among the old time and Southern fans, NASCAR represents the little guy vs. The Man, my car's faster than yours, that kind of thing.

Amongst the poseurs, God knows what they get out of it.

10-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Don't try to understand the South.

-Skeme-
10-03-2005, 10:56 AM
This is the guy who thought Criss Angel was actually levitating.

newfant
10-03-2005, 10:59 AM
The only sport I usually watch is football. American football, that is.

Baseball is too long and boring to watch. I have no idea why anyone watches golf (get the little ball in the hole. Yay.). Soccer is gay. I have watched parts of a couple of NASCAR races and I think the main attraction for me was that someone could die at any time.

Basically, you could make this post about most any sport because they all suck in their own way.

Edit: By the way, it seems like you're more effeminate than most other posters, so it's no surprise that you don't get a macho sport like NASCAR.

samjjones
10-03-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
NASCAR was born from moonshine drivers in the South racing their hot rods against each other. They built hot rods to outrun the police.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean this guy???

http://www.ambergnat.com/archives/images/btj.jpg

Edge34
10-03-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the guy who thought Criss Angel was actually levitating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have to work hard to be a retarded [censored] troll, or is this just coming natural?

Stay on topic at least, assclown. Way to add to discussion.

ChipWrecked
10-03-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NASCAR was born from moonshine drivers in the South racing their hot rods against each other. They built hot rods to outrun the police.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean this guy???

http://www.ambergnat.com/archives/images/btj.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

He's The Man.

I really mean this guy:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0006IWQEY.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

rusellmj
10-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Either you like motor sports or you don't. While I think NASCAR is the most exciring form, they race at tracks that I can't stand to watch. Some people dig WRC. I like some forms of motorcycle racing but don't get drag racing. Go figure.
Watch what you like and enjoy it. Quit worrying about what you don't get.

JihadOnTheRiver
10-03-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm a home grown California boy that was transplanted to Mississippi for two and a half years. When I was there, I had a lot of local friends. I went to local bars. I could not get away from NASCAR. I made an effort, learned the teams, some of the nuances, went to a race. I failed. Never gonna get it. I'll just go ahead and say it....too many Hicks.

10-03-2005, 11:27 AM
They don't just race in circles, They have a couple of races every year on road courses, Sears Point(Infinion Raceway now)being one... I can't think of the others.

My step-father from Tennessee watched NASCAR races religiously every weekend, he loved it, I couldn't watch for more than a couple minutes and was bored.

polltard

ChipWrecked
10-03-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a home grown California boy that was transplanted to Mississippi

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed here.

JihadOnTheRiver
10-03-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed here.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. then i cried. for two and a half years.

ChipWrecked
10-03-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed here.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. then i cried. for two and a half years.

[/ QUOTE ]

We moved from Chicago to the Arkansas Ozarks when I was seven.

I was 13 when I finally learned 'Damn Yankee' is two words. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
10-03-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was 13 when I finally learned 'Damn Yankee' is two words. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BoogerFace
10-03-2005, 11:44 AM
NASCAR is actually useful for afternoon weekend naps. It's hypnotic.

I'm usually out cold within 15 minutes.

ChipWrecked
10-03-2005, 11:55 AM
I use golf for that.

PokerGoblin
10-03-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NASCAR. WTF? I simply cannot understand this.

[/ QUOTE ]

People say the same thing about the poker boom. It used to be a low-key, backroom activity. Now it is mainstream. Once the stereotypes about it are broken down, it becomes more popular and accepted.

Autoracing is exceptionally intricate and competitive. As much as any other sport. I don't care to watch it until the end of the race, watching cars jockey for position with 200 miles to go is redundant. But I do see how it can be interesting to someone who likes to watch grass grow.

Seriously though NASCAR events are insane. They're a three-day party culminating in a high profile event, then more partying. Take a look at the infield of a race. It's filled with motor homes and travel trailers and such... people camp out there and have a blast.

Lots of sloppy drunken redneck titty flashing as well. Good times.

PG

steviej1717
10-03-2005, 12:46 PM
What I dont get about racing is the chase for the cup "playoff." Why do the other drivers get to race too, but only the top 10 count? It doesnt make sense to have a playoff but include the people not in the playoff in the same race. If they want to race too they should have a seperate race for the 10 drivers in the playoff.

I dont watch racing all that much but it was just something I was wondering about, if any race fans know.

10-03-2005, 01:19 PM
You are aware that there is tremendous pregaming and alcohol consumption during the races right? After you understand this you see why it is just like any major sporting event, especially football.

BoogerFace
10-03-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I use golf for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Golf is good too but is too quiet. NASCAR masks ambient noise.

Blarg
10-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Edge made a great response. There's more to the racing than it seems if you just note that cars are doing nothing but turning left.

It's damn hard to turn left that well! I used to think racing was one of those things that people want to call a sport but is not, but I've come to accept it as a sport. It gets brutally hot in those cars, driving for hours handling those cars is supposedly very hard on your hands and forearms, but most of all, you can't hope to excel in it without exceptional timing, depth perception, perception speed, and reaction speed. And the stakes are high -- you might not come out alive if you space out or make the wrong move. The mind and instincts obviously have to be operating at peak level to keep you both safe and anywhere close to the winner's circle.

Those guys don't just drive well, their driving skill is on another plane entirely, even if they mostly only turn left.

Ever try that NASCAR PC game? It can get complex, and supposedly is extremely realistic. It simulates figuring out what tires to use, how to warm them up, how the car should be balanced, etc. And trying to get up a good speed and still maintain control of a damn heavy car isn't all that easy. Playing it showed me that going left is harder than it looks; if you drift off an ideal path, it can take a while to recover, because everything you do creates momentum, which interferes with everything else you might want to do. Finding that ideal path is tough, and maintaining it is hard, especially since you will usually have other cars in the vicinity you have to worry about, too, sometimes just inches away.

The raw power of the machines comes through very well in the game, too. It made me finally appreciate and respect NASCAR a bit, though I still find it dull sometimes after a while on t.v. But I know if I were sweating in a 120 degree car and trying to manage everything for hours in terms of fractions of a second, I would be plenty hyped up.

youtalkfunny
10-03-2005, 04:10 PM
I've had people (and not just southerners) telling me I'd enjoy it if I gave it a chance. For ten years now, they've been telling me that.

So I'd sit down, and the camera would focus on the battle for 21st place for several laps. All I could think was, "Who cares about 21st place?"

I've been watching for a little over a month now. When you're aware of the season standings, suddenly 21st place has some meaning.

If you still can't bring yourself to be interested, do what I did: bet a couple of matchups. Suddenly, those battles for 21st place take on a new meaning.

And the best part of watching: these rednecks are like hockey players. If they think somebody wrecked them deliberately, they mete out their own justice.

The New Hampshire race a few weeks ago was hysterical: Kasey Kahne rammed Kyle Busch; Kurt Busch hopped out of his car and ran into another driver's pit to confront the crew chief of the guy who wrecked him (since he couldn't get his hands on the driver himself); Robby Gordon stood in traffic to lob a helmet at somebody, and later called him a "piece of sh#t" during a live tv interview.

It was like Old Time Hockey out there. It was The Wild West. Anything goes.

That was the day I became a NASCAR fan.

(Though I couldn't get into it yesterday, with the pennant races and several NFL wagers up for grabs.)