PDA

View Full Version : A Foolish Raise?

RocketManJames
05-19-2003, 10:15 AM
Low Limit Live Game

I've got A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif on the button. I limp after 3 limpers, SB folds, BB checks his option. 5 to see the flop.

Flop: K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Not good, I plan on folding to any bet. It checks to me, and I check. At this point, I am thinking, there's a high probability that there is no K out there. There may be a straight draw and possible 2nd and 3rd pairs.

Turn: 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

The BB bets out. One fold, 2 callers. It's me now. I'm about to find out if someone hit their straight, I raise. I believe I am still vulnerable to two-pair, as they wouldn't re-raise me back. Those who picked up a spade draw will now also call my raise. Plus, at this point, I am representing a made straight, so I may get some folds. Is this foolish? After the hand was over, I felt that I was foolish to raise in this spot.
Anyway, everyone calls my raise. No respect or legitamate hands?

River comes: A /forums/images/icons/club.gif

I believe I may have just been saved. They check to me, I go ahead with a bet and they all call. The spiked A gives me the pot. I have no idea what the others had, and I believe that my turn raise may have been foolish against a field of 3 others. Thoughts?

-RMJ

SoBeDude
05-19-2003, 10:25 AM
Hmm.

Well clearly if there had been a bet on the flop you'd have left.

But with everyone checking it around, you have two possibilities. One of the blinds has a weak king and was afraid to bet, or no one has a king.

I'd guess that if the king (even if weak) was in a later position it would have been bet.

So, now the turn comes and you have second pair, top kicker. Anyone else holding an 8 without an ace is behind. And you can ALMOST rule out the king as making someone a pair so there is a good chance you have the best hand, unless like you say mr. blind caught 2 pair.

Yes a straight is a possiblility for BB as well, and your raise is the right way to find out. He didn't reraise so no set or straight.

Also the BB may have had a pocket pair like 99 or TT.

I'm amazed they all called the river bet. Perhaps BB had 2 pair, and one or two of the others had an ace, and someone was holding a weak king.

Overall I think the raise was the right play and I've have made the same play in that situation.

-Scott

Nottom
05-19-2003, 12:55 PM
I think the raise is fine, the thing I would be most worried about is the BB having a weak king, but you have 5 outs if he does. With a 3-straight and now a flush draw on the board you will be called by anyone with spades, a 5, 9, even 10, maybe even a 4, and probably a 6, 7, or 8 as well ... you are beating all of them and want them to pay you. When you hit the A on the river, you have an easy value bet.