PDA

View Full Version : end game

Tommy Angelo
10-03-2005, 09:02 AM
$80-160 at Bay101. The game was four-handed when I got there. Here's how the lineup looked, players A, B, C, D.

Player A does not play against player C. By that I mean 1) Player A and C chop the blinds, even shorthanded. 2) Anytime a pot comes down to just the two of them, they check it out. 3) Everyone knows about 1 and 2 and nobody cares, and if they do, too bad.

Player D just lost a big pot to player B. Player D looked like someone at the wrong end of a sacrifice. He had two stacks of chips and I read him for no rebuy. Player B had about a rack now, after winning that pot. Players A and C had about four racks each and they were giving up nothing. Player B had lots of chatter and gamble at the moment. (One of things he sometimes mentions during his chatters when I'm there is that I fold the blinds a lot and that I'm easy to bluff out.)

I sat to the right of player A and I took the big blind. An hour later, player D was gone, and player B's stack was five big bets, with two hands to go.

I took the big blind. Player A folded. Player B had the button. He "never" openlimps on the button, but he did this time, and because of his fatigue, his almost-raise-but-just-call was so transparent that Player C, in the small blind, let out a rare HA! laugh while he called two chips. I checked in the big blind with Q-10. Three players to the flop with me second.

The flop came 10-9-4. The small blind checked, I checked, the button bet, the small blind called, and I folded. The turn was a four. The small blind checked, the button bet, the small blind checkraised, and the button called, severely flustered. The river was a blank. The small blind bet and the button called. The small blind showed king-four (sooted) for trip fours. The button showed pocket aces.

The next hand, I was in the small blind, player A had the big blind, and player B raised, all-in for two bets, before the cards were dealt. Player C folded on the button. I reraised with A2. The big blind folded. We ran the board out and my ace-high was good. Player B stood and walked. Game over. Of course the main thought going through my mind when the floorman dumped a dozen empty racks onto the table was damn, it's my button.

Tommy

jayheaps
10-03-2005, 10:32 AM
nice laydown.

augie00
10-03-2005, 10:50 AM
How long did it take you to muck that QT on the flop? Were you ready to turbo-muck unless you hit the flop hard? Would you have stuck around until the turn had you flopped a queen?

Lawrence Ng
10-03-2005, 01:21 PM
I hate second guessing and I like how Tommy really trusts his instincts here.

I had JJ on the button in a pretty good 20-40 game. Some guy limps UTG, folded to me and I raise and blinds fold, now this guy 3-bets. He never ever has limped-re-raised.

Never

EVER

NEVER EVER!

It's AA or KK. Either one.

Like for sure.

FOR SURE MAN!!!!!!!

LIKE SO TOTALLY FOR SURE!!!!!

I call.

Flop is rags

I mean rags.

like a 3-6-T RAINBOW BOARD MAN!!!!

LIKE I TOTALLY [censored] MISS!

HE FIRES A BET!!!

LIKE REALLY CONFIDENTLY!!!

LIKE HE AIN'T AFRAID OF NOTHING!!!

and I pay off like the newb I am. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

like the newb I am.....

LIKE THE NEWB I [censored] AM!!!!!

Lawrence

tonysoldier
10-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Good fold on the flop, but just barely I think. Really close, nice play.

threepines
10-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Nice read, Tommy. Nevertheless, I take a card off in the hopes of spiking a q or 10 on the turn. Although you're only getting 5 to 1 on a 39 (assuming 2 aces known) to 6 shot, your implied odds are much better.

mmbt0ne
10-03-2005, 03:39 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Nice read, Tommy. Nevertheless, I take a card off in the hopes of spiking a q or 10 on the turn. Although you're only getting 5 to 1 on a 39 (assuming 2 aces known) to 6 shot, your implied odds are much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tommy has to assume that SB knows what's going on with player B too. This means that his T outs might not exist, or he might already be hopelessly behind to a set after the call.

bicyclekick
10-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Nice one tommy.

Tommy Angelo
10-03-2005, 06:17 PM
"Tommy has to assume that SB knows what's going on with player B too. This means that his T outs might not exist, or he might already be hopelessly behind to a set after the call."

You left out the ugliest scenario which is the small blind has J-8 or K-J and now the queen comes on the turn.

Tommy

Boris
10-04-2005, 12:37 AM
Great post.

10-04-2005, 04:16 AM
how's chau vu doing?

andyfox
10-04-2005, 12:23 PM
It's funny sometimes (funny peculiar not funny amusing) how easy it is for me to see, as an observing bystander, and think, "This guy has pocket aces, I'd fold with a loser," when I'm sitting at the table observing two other players battle it out. And then when I get into the fray, I guess it's just as easy to see but not so easy to throw away top pair or an overpair.

Which separates a good player like me from a great player like Tommy.

climber
10-04-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I took the big blind. Player A folded. Player B had the button. He "never" openlimps on the button, but he did this time, and because of his fatigue, his almost-raise-but-just-call was so transparent that Player C, in the small blind, let out a rare HA! laugh while he called two chips. I checked in the big blind with Q-10. Three players to the flop with me second.

The flop came 10-9-4. The small blind checked, I checked, the button bet, the small blind called, and I folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone spell out for the forum newbs/lurkers how this works?

I have only played live once and I understand that for some read-based stuff that sometimes "you just know."

However, Tommy supplied all this info and a bunch of you are going "oh yeah, nice laydown."

What sepicifcally in what Tommy said let you put this guy on an overpair or AA specifically? And how is the small blinds actions related to the flop fold?

It took me a couple readings of the post to kind of "get it" but I still kind of feeling like I'm just pretending to get it. Any help appreciated.

shmahappens
10-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Nice game selection.

10-04-2005, 02:18 PM
I often get an 'Emperor's new clothes' feeling with Tommy's posts as well. I think the point is that when someone limps in a shorthanded game its often because they don't JUST want to steal the blinds, usually because they've got a monster. But I'm not sure I 'get' it either /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

W. Deranged
10-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Tommy,

This is a great post. It really encourages me because I know that when I'm feeling really good about my game I feel capable of making laydowns like this but when I'm playing poorly I almost never can and start second guessing my impulses.

Best one I ever made was somewhat similar.

Borgata 20/40

The MP cold-caller in question is an interesting nitty regular who likes to show up at the 20/40 and play only as long as is necessary for him to show ANY profit, after which he likes to leave and go sailing. He talks way to much, and has spent much of the past couple of days explaining to my friend and I (naive, mathematical college students, of course) that "all that probability stuff is bullsh..."

I open raise with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif after a couple of folds. A terrible player cold-calls, the villain-sailor-probability hater calls, one blind completes.

Flop: T 7 3 rainbow.

I look over and the villain-sailor-probability hater actually shows his cards to my friend, who is sitting right next to him.

I bet, the villain-sailor calls and the terrible BB calls.

Turn is a 6.

Villain-sailor now verbally says "just look at that... do you see that..." and gets a big smile on his face.

I check, villain bets confidently, BB folds, and I fold.

Villain later tables 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and says "I never lose with a 45 suited. So you can take your probability [censored] and shove it right up your ass."

BarronVangorToth
10-04-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
take your probability [censored] and shove it right up your ass."

[/ QUOTE ]

And people say there aren't enough good quotes for memorable T-shirts...

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

DrSavage
10-04-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Best one I ever made was somewhat similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Villain-sailor now verbally says "just look at that... do you see that..." and gets a big smile on his face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only the subtlest of minds playing their A game can pick up on a tell so undetectable to mere humans.

bigfishead
10-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Really sorry to hear you didnt get your button Tommy. Hang in there tho man. Maybe next time they'll go bust when your about to get the BB.

My thoughts and prayers are with you in these hard felt times.

MrFeelNothin
10-04-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pun intended?

climber
10-04-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The flop came 10-9-4. The small blind checked, I checked, the button bet, the small blind called, and I folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone spell out for the forum newbs/lurkers how this works?

I have only played live once and I understand that for some read-based stuff that sometimes "you just know."

However, Tommy supplied all this info and a bunch of you are going "oh yeah, nice laydown."

What sepicifcally in what Tommy said let you put this guy on an overpair or AA specifically? And how is the small blinds actions related to the flop fold?

It took me a couple readings of the post to kind of "get it" but I still kind of feeling like I'm just pretending to get it. Any help appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on someone take one minute and fill me in please.

SparkyDog
10-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Tommy's one of the best hold em players on this site, that's currently active. Go through and read all his old posts, they'll improve your game, and will probably make you think about poker in a different way than you're accustomed to. So yeah, without sounding too much like a fanboy... that's it in a nutshell.

Ryno
10-04-2005, 10:32 PM
You'll "just know" a lot of times playing live. Tommy's good because he actually folds.

andyfox
10-04-2005, 10:45 PM
"because of his fatigue, his almost-raise-but-just-call was so transparent that Player C, in the small blind, let out a rare HA! laugh"

The guy never limped on the button before. He almost raised, but then just limped. Since the guy was fatigued, it wasn't a fake-out, it was a slow-play with a big hand.

climber
10-04-2005, 11:26 PM
thanks andy--that almost rasie but just call because of fatigue phrase had me a little confused.

...yeah i have read quite a few of tommy's posts from the archives

...i like that distinction that others make the same reads just dont have the willpower to act on them

bigfishead
10-05-2005, 07:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pun intended?

[/ QUOTE ]

Give the man a cookie!

Mikey
10-05-2005, 08:57 AM
"Player D looked like someone at the wrong end of a sacrifice."

This is one of the funniest things I've read.