PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a cell phone plan/provider in the UK

ceyoung
10-03-2005, 03:47 AM
I'm moving to the UK on tuesday and will need a phone pretty much right when I get there. What's the best cell phone deal? I'm not sure how long I will be in the UK for, but I plan on being over there for a while.

Vavavoom
10-03-2005, 03:57 AM
I would suggest getting a "Pay as U go" type phone that u credit as often or as little as u want.

If u plan on being here for at least 1 year...then I would suggest purchasing a phone on a tariff. By doing this, u would get some benefits like free SMS or local calls or calls to other mobiles...However, this may not be of benefit to you.

Tariffs available that are pretty good will be on the following networks :

Vodafone
Orange
O2

I use 02 and get by fine with it. However, depending on where u are in the UK will affect how good your coverage is....

Typical examples would be :

£20 per month gets me 500 Free SMS messages, 50 minutes of offpeak (7pm - 6am) to any other mobile and 450 minutes of offpeak landline numbers (National). There are 100's of different tariffs available. if u go into any phone shop, they will suggest whats the best available for u...

Hope this helps...

lorinda
10-03-2005, 04:07 AM
If the latest two in the line of three-mobile commercials doesn't convince him. Nothing will.

Milkmaid (http://www.visit4info.com/static/advert_pages/23266.cfm?)

Dirty Music (http://www.visit4info.com/details.cfm?adid=25288)

Lori

daveymck
10-03-2005, 05:03 AM
If a while is a year+ then get a contract phone otherwise will need a payg.

I have been on orange for years and havent had any coverage problems (I move round the country a lot) people on vodaphone and o2 I have heard complaints about, I would avoid 3 for the moment as they have a lot of problems.

Theres Virgin as well not sure how good they are though. BUt if you walk down any high street in whichever place you are going there are loads of mobile phone shops so you wil get sorted out easily.

lorinda
10-03-2005, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would avoid 3 for the moment as they have a lot of problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fairness I would second this, but the adverts still should be watched.

Lori

daveymck
10-03-2005, 05:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would avoid 3 for the moment as they have a lot of problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fairness I would second this, but the adverts still should be watched.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry hadnt clicked on the links it was a general view not based on your posting. The 3 adverts are the weidest on the tv at the moment.