PDA

View Full Version : did I make a boo boo?

10-02-2005, 11:50 PM
Here's one of those hands that just leaves me in disbelief. Did I play it incorrectly? the SB has been aggressive ever since he built his stack, raising with any paint, but looking back, he folded a lot to my turn bluffs and semi bluffs. Should I have known I was walking into a trap? Was my check on the turn, trying to set a trap myself, wrong? I bet the flop HOPING for him to reraise me thinking I was bluffing at the 9's, because I would always take a stab at the pot, and if reraised I folded to him. It was all working out till the stupid 6, even if i bet the turn, i dont think i would have folded if a 6 hit.... thanks in advance.

PokerStars Game #2714790668: Tournament #13311938, Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2005/10/02 - 23:38:41 (ET)
Table '13311938 1' Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: bahorst (3755 in chips)
Seat 2: MannyFresh24 (2130 in chips)
Seat 5: throughhiker (395 in chips)
Seat 6: Jesster_mac (7220 in chips)
Jesster_mac: posts small blind 100
bahorst: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bahorst [Qh 9d]
MannyFresh24: folds
throughhiker: folds
Jesster_mac: calls 100
Jesster_mac said, "it was good time to raise w/hiker sitting"
bahorst: raises 400 to 600
bahorst said, "must have"
Jesster_mac: calls 400
*** FLOP *** [9h Ts 9c]
Jesster_mac: checks
bahorst: bets 700
Jesster_mac: calls 700
*** TURN *** [9h Ts 9c] [6h]
bahorst: checks
*** RIVER *** [9h Ts 9c 6h] [2d]
bahorst: bets 800
Jesster_mac: raises 1000 to 1800
bahorst: raises 655 to 2455 and is all-in
Jesster_mac: calls 655
bahorst said, "lol"
*** SHOW DOWN ***
bahorst: shows [Qh 9d] (three of a kind, Nines)
Jesster_mac: shows [9s 6s] (a full house, Nines full of Sixes)

10-03-2005, 12:31 AM
no mistakes? i must win then!

the_joker
10-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Yes, many mistakes.

0) getting mixed up with the big stack when another player has less than 2BB left

1) pre-flop raise with Q9 against big stack.

2) checking the turn with possible straight and flush draws.

3) re-raising all-in on the river against big stack. He's obviously not afraid of the paired 9's on the board.

10-03-2005, 12:58 AM
why is the preflop raise a mistake? He raised my BB about the last 4 or 5 rounds, most of which I defended and took down the pots. So finally he limps knowing i'll call if i have a hand, so I raise to give me an edge. is this thinking wrong, just because he has a large stack?

SammyKid11
10-03-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why is the preflop raise a mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

You were already told why this was a mistake, but to reiterate in an even clearer way:

1) Q9 is a crap hand.
2) You're playing against an aggressive big stack...even doubling up on him doesn't hurt him that badly, so your FE if he catches ANY part of the flop is not very high. Your preflop FE is zero.
3) He's been RAISING with any paint, and here he's just calling. Sure, in this case, it turns out that he had junk and got lucky. But a big stack who's stealing at every opportunity and then suddenly and suspiciously just limps in...smells of a trap with AA or KK.
4) THIS IS THE BIG ONE. In SnG's, the top THREE people make money. You got involved with the big stack with a crap hand with no preflop fold equity with little postflop fold equity when he might VERY well be trapping with a monster.....and you did it ALL while the short stack at the table was a hiccup away from being eliminated in fourth, guaranteeing you of making money. So, not only was your play reckless in a straight-up card sense...but it was especially bad considering you were highly likely able to fold all but your best hands and still make the money. The mistakes are compounded based on WHEN in the tourney they happened, and because you literally played yourself out of the money.

This stuff has been explained to you, you posted the hand because you wanted everyone to go "oh what a terrible beat" -- what you've been told instead is that, uh, you badly misplayed the hand (hey, it happens)...but instead of accepting that advice and learning from it, you're currently arguing with it. Trust me, that's not the way you get better OR gain any respect around here. And even if you don't care about other posters respecting you, at the very least you've gotta be hanging around here to try to get better.

Hopefully this helps.

10-03-2005, 01:43 AM
actually i wasn't arguing, i was asking for an explanation of why the preflop raise was a mistake. i wanted people to pick apart my line. i understand messing w/ the big stack was a mistake, but i just wanted a little more on the preflop raise. Q9 would have been an easy hand to let go if he reraised me preflop. if he would have went over the top on the flop, i would have easily called w/ three 9's. but yea, wasn't arguing. sorry if it sounded like that. thanks for the explanation though, even though you kinda snapped at me.

lastchance
10-03-2005, 01:49 AM
2+2 = 4, therefore all above points this guy made are valid.

10-03-2005, 01:51 AM
wow i'm still not arguing with any of the points. I never got an "explanation" in the first reply, only 3 mistakes I made. Then I get yelled at for asking more questions. I guess I'll just post only about going pro, or ROI, because people here love those posts, and not mine, because I argue.

SCfuji
10-03-2005, 02:07 AM
bahorst

go to the 2+2 magazine (http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/current/) and read through some of the articles that touch on no limit holdem tournaments. you will see your errors explained quite well there.

plus, button steals tend to be disbelieved 99% of the time so i make it a point to steal with good cards when lots of chips may move during the hand.

Bartman387
10-03-2005, 02:09 AM
take it easy on the OP, as he states he was initially never given a explanation on why his actions were wrong. Only told they were mistakes, nothing more. IMO he wanted a more in depth explanation, so he asked for further explanation, which Sammy handled quite well, but not without scolding him for no reason.

These may have been obvious mistakes many of you guys, but obviously wasn't to the OP and wanted to know why.

10-03-2005, 02:45 AM
thank you for understanding. i have reassured faith again, and have now learned a valuable lesson for bubble play and vs big stacks. thanks, and i'll hit you guyz up again with yet another problem. thanks.