PDA

View Full Version : Greatest War Movie of All Time - Final Four

swede123
10-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Well, all the Platoon haters' worst fear came through, it made it through to the final four. Of course now it faces Full Metal Jacket, quite possibly the ultimate winner of this contest. Time for the matchups...

Dynasty
10-02-2005, 11:00 PM
A message for anybody who votes to deny Full Metal Jacket victory in this tournament. (NSFW language) (http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Full_Metal_Jacket=pukes.wav)

Claunchy
10-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Having to inevitably choose between FMJ and Apocalypse Now will be like choosing which one of my non-existent children I love most.

ChipWrecked
10-03-2005, 07:01 AM
I could have made a good reply to this if that maggot jeremy hadn't disabled my Sgt. Hartman account. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

radek2166
10-03-2005, 08:26 AM
I like this one also!!!! (http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Full_Metal_Jacket=cowboy.wav)

durron597
10-03-2005, 08:56 AM
This was the easiest one of your polls ever swede... oh look I voted with the great majority, whaddaya know.

KaneKungFu123
10-03-2005, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Having to inevitably choose between FMJ and Apocalypse Now will be like choosing which one of my non-existent children I love most.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank god saving private ryan didnt win. apoalypse now is th better movie. full metal starts to get really boring towards the middle/end.

samjjones
10-03-2005, 10:56 AM
FMJ is going to dominate this poll. Imagine if Kubrick hadn't shat the bed with the 2nd half of it!

swede123
10-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Bump.

private joker
10-03-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
full metal starts to get really fascinating towards the middle/end, where one begins to realize it is not only a masterful comment on the deindividualization of the American military and the inhumanity of war, but also one of the most provocative works of cinema ever made.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYGDP.

Colonel Kataffy
10-03-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FMJ is going to dominate this poll. Imagine if Kubrick hadn't shat the bed with the 2nd half of it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a shame that there isn't really a format to release half a film. Cause it really was two different films smashed together for no good reason. I wouldn't say shat the bed, but it just didn't fit to have that second part tacked on.

10-03-2005, 01:12 PM
FMJ over Platoon? AN over DB? You guys need to lay off the pipe.

Das Boot is the greatest war film ever, with Platoon second.

Blarg
10-03-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a shame that there isn't really a format to release half a film. Cause it really was two different films smashed together for no good reason. I wouldn't say shat the bed, but it just didn't fit to have that second part tacked on.

[/ QUOTE ]

The second part just didn't have the enormous tension and emotional impact of the first. The first was a complete movie of its own. They really did feel like two different movies that didn't feed into each other all that well, and I've never bumped into anyone who didn't like the first part far more than the second and didn't find the transition jarring and unworkable.

The prlonged death scene of the sniper girl ending was especially terrible, almost Spielberg-level terrible. It was a bad idea to try to have the death of a single enemy stand in for so much, but the choice made of what kind of enemy -- one that was trying to shoot at you, and who then actively wanted to do and asked for your help -- took the story too much from something you could really identify with and that seemed somewhat plausible into something that succeeded only metaphorically but fell apart fictionally. It was a painfully clumsy intellectual crash and burn, a love for meaning and metaphor ham-fistedly chopping its storytelling out from under itself.

In a way, though the film was aiming for a lot more, it was kind of like The Shining, a magnificent failure -- Kubrick having moments of unforgettable brilliance but not quite trusting the material.

Blarg
10-03-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Das Boot is the only film of the four without major flaws. It's actually incredibly well done. Platoon has some flaws, but comes in as an easy second as far as coherent films. The other two have moments of absolute brilliance, but they are clumsily pasted into lumbering, uncoordinated films that are best remembered not as a whole, but for some key great scenes.

There's a huge feeling of "If only..." about Apocalypse Now and FMJ. They could have been much, much better films.

Das Boot is pretty much perfect as is.

Rick Nebiolo
10-03-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Close. Das Boot is number 1 with FMJ number 2.

~ Rick

samjjones
10-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Good job. I enjoyed reading your commentary.

Kubrick's bed soilings are still far better than 99.9% of every other film ever made. I would not change one frame of the first hour of FMJ.

10-03-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The second part just didn't have the enormous tension and emotional impact of the first. The first was a complete movie of its own. They really did feel like two different movies that didn't feed into each other all that well, and I've never bumped into anyone who didn't like the first part far more than the second and didn't find the transition jarring and unworkable.

The prlonged death scene of the sniper girl ending was especially terrible, almost Spielberg-level terrible. It was a bad idea to try to have the death of a single enemy stand in for so much, but the choice made of what kind of enemy -- one that was trying to shoot at you, and who then actively wanted to do and asked for your help -- took the story too much from something you could really identify with and that seemed somewhat plausible into something that succeeded only metaphorically but fell apart fictionally. It was a painfully clumsy intellectual crash and burn, a love for meaning and metaphor ham-fistedly chopping its storytelling out from under itself.

In a way, though the film was aiming for a lot more, it was kind of like The Shining, a magnificent failure -- Kubrick having moments of unforgettable brilliance but not quite trusting the material.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it feels like two different movies, but I liked the prolonged death scene of the sniper. The viewer gets to see Private Joker standing there with his .45 in his hand making his warface for real as he kills the girl. At least Kubrick tries to tie the movie together with this scene.

ChipWrecked
10-03-2005, 05:37 PM
One of the reviews of FMJ went something like: The first hour is perfect. After that, it degrades into brilliant.

private joker
10-03-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the reviews of FMJ went something like: The first hour is perfect. After that, it degrades into brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Mike Clark, and the quote goes: "The first 45 minutes of Full Metal Jacket are perfect. Then it degenerates into one of the greatest films of all time."

BIMO.

masse75
10-03-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Patton is the greatest war film ever, with Platoon not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Dynasty
10-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Platoon 37 25%

Full Metal Jacket 107 74%

These results look good. I applaud the FMJ voters (http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/mp3s.cgi?Full_Metal_Jacket=sister.mp3). (NSFW audio)

sublime
10-03-2005, 07:32 PM
how did platoon get here?

MyTurn2Raise
10-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Hot Shots Part Deux

Blarg
10-03-2005, 08:07 PM
It's just too bad about that ending. The sniper scene works as a structural parallel to the psychic destruction of the first half and does tie things together, but isn't remotely near its match, nor even sensible on its own. It works metaphorically on a number of levels very well, but is just frankly stupid as part of the fiction. I woulda shot her and so would 99% of everyone else, without anywhere near the drawn-out, super-milked drama of it. One way or another, she deserved it and one would be extremely strongly compelled to do it -- as an enemy killing your friends, and as someone in terrible pain with no hope, as a humanitarian gesture. Either way, the "decision" aspect of it wasn't really there, nor, after time spent in combat, would be the shock at the situation. Hell, it was crueler to keep her alive, in great pain but with no hope and scared as hell, staring at her, than it was to pop one in her skull and bring it to a merciful end. And frankly I think plenty of people wouldn't hesitate to do it just because they were pissed off or even because they got prejudiced before coming into the country or after getting shot at there for a while.

The flick fell apart at the end. Most do. It was a real shame that this one did, though.

britspin
10-03-2005, 08:19 PM
i think I'm going to have to go with FMJ over Das Boot as greatest ever, if only because das Boot is in fact the greatest TV mini-series of all time, not the greatest movie.

[/nerd off]

(Das Boot the fim is edited down from 5 hr miniseries- the DB directors cut edits back in about an hour of the miniseries.)