PDA

View Full Version : 99.99% of life is unconscious...!!

scalf
10-02-2005, 08:45 PM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif..if there were one thing that i would bring up regarding David's preoccupation with logical thinking, and importance of using super-intelligent people to make key decisions. The simple fact is : no one lives their life that way; we blindly go thru life reliving trauma; and using primitive defence mechanisms to defeat this onslaught of extreme pain and anxiety from becoming conscious. one of these defence mechanisms is over-intellectualization..

jmho

gl

/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

10-02-2005, 08:49 PM
"Reason" is a disease.

10-02-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Reason" is a disease.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing most posters are vaccinated.

purnell
10-02-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Reason" is a disease.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I differ, and instead say that reason is a tool. Some folks have developed alot of skill at using it, but unless that skill comes at the expense of their intuition and imagination, it's not harmful, IMO.

JonPKibble
10-02-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Reason" is a disease.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which means that soon Big Pharma will be offering a drug you can take to "cure" this "disease"!

The question is, will you take the red pill or the blue pill?

10-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Reason-

The means by which the social organism enslaves the individual. Initially intended as a tool, it has instead become an inescapable snare.

Will-

The means by which one escapes the organism is by tapping their will, or creative imagination.

It is through will, not reason, that one shapes his circumstances to his advantage.

[/plagiarism]

It is my belief that "reason" or “rational thought” is nothing more than a meaningless cosmetic, and that our subconscious fears and desires are the real driving force behind our actions and circumstances.

“Rational thought” is entirely subjective anyway. You’d be hard-pressed to find two equally intelligent people that thought the other was entirely rational.

David Sklansky
10-03-2005, 08:40 AM
You just have me figured wrong. Reason is simply a tool to help you achieve your own goals most efficintly. Whether those goals are reasonable or not.

benkahuna
10-03-2005, 08:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/blush.gif..if there were one thing that i would bring up regarding David's preoccupation with logical thinking, and importance of using super-intelligent people to make key decisions. The simple fact is : no one lives their life that way; we blindly go thru life reliving trauma; and using primitive defence mechanisms to defeat this onslaught of extreme pain and anxiety from becoming conscious. one of these defence mechanisms is over-intellectualization..

jmho

gl

/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the right brain excision (usually as a result of some physical trauma), one can have the ability to allow emotions to influence decision-making removed. Such people have incredible difficulty living life because they find themselves unable to engage in arbitrary decision-making. Antonio Damasio's book Descartes' Error goes into some detail about this situation. These people are, fortunately, rare.

I think you mean some or most people go blindly through life hoping to avoid repeat traumas or denying them. There are certainly some people that handle their traumas a little more directly instead of living lives of avoidance and denial.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
10-03-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Reason" is a disease.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing most posters are vaccinated.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL

scalf
10-03-2005, 06:19 PM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif who is smarter: nhl hockey fans or keno players???

now this deserves truly high iq input...

tia

gl

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

A_C_Slater
10-03-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reason-

The means by which the social organism enslaves the individual. Initially intended as a tool, it has instead become an inescapable snare.

Will-

The means by which one escapes the organism is by tapping their will, or creative imagination.

It is through will, not reason, that one shapes his circumstances to his advantage.

[/plagiarism]

It is my belief that "reason" or “rational thought” is nothing more than a meaningless cosmetic, and that our subconscious fears and desires are the real driving force behind our actions and circumstances.

“Rational thought” is entirely subjective anyway. You’d be hard-pressed to find two equally intelligent people that thought the other was entirely rational.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is straight Castaneda [censored]. Am I right?

malorum
10-03-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Reason" is a disease.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Should be banned.

10-04-2005, 01:25 AM
Not directly, but quite likely a derivative of his work. I have yet to read any of his stuff, but from what I understand he was a little out there, even for me. Nice catch BTW.