PDA

View Full Version : strange 3-6 hand

banditbdl
05-18-2003, 07:53 PM
Playing in a 3-6 game an interesting hand comes up. 2 /forums/images/icons/club.gif brings it in and there are 3 callers to me in last position with (8,A)8 and i just call. 4th street it is checked to player 3, an overly aggresive player who has been caught stealing with almost nothing a couple of times already, who bets with (x,x)2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif ,5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif. I call, bring-in folds, players 1 and 2, who are both weak tight, each call, and its 4-way action:

Player 1: (x,x)K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif baby /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
Player 2: (x,x)Q, 10
Player 3: (x,x)2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif ,5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif
me: (8,A)8,x

Fifth street: I catch an ace, am first to act, and am preparing to bet when player 3 tries to act out of turn. I check, its checked to player 3 he bets, and I raise. To my surprise players 1 and 2 both cold call the 2 BB, and player 3 calls as well.

Player 1: (x,x)K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif, baby /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif,x
Player 2: (x,x)Q, 10,J
Player 3: (x,x)2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif ,5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif ,9
me: (8,A)8,x,A

6th Street: Player 3 and I both catch rags but Player 1 catches a 3rd diamond and player 2 catches a 9 for the 4-straight. First to act, I check, expecting to get raised by either player 1 or 2. To my surprise its checked around.

7th Street: I don't improve and its checked around once again. I end up taking it down over player 1 with Kings up and player 2 with Queens over Jacks. Both had made their hands on 5th street. Player 3 had nothing.

Was I silly not to continue betting on 6th and 7th streets?

patrick dicaprio
05-18-2003, 09:54 PM
depends on the game but at lower limits from my observation this type of check happens often. i almost always bet here against one draw that might have hit their hand, but at the level i play that is because i will be raised if the opponent has a made hand, so i know when i am beaten and wont get bluffed.

you do not want to give a free card here if their hands are not made. but you are against two draws not just one so you are a dog to win the hand even if you are ahead. i would have checked in this situation also. but i think a lot of players would bet and i am not sure checking is the right play, but it is what i would have done.

Pat

Andy B
05-18-2003, 10:27 PM
Weak-tight players do not call two bets cold on fifth street without a little something. You were there and I wasn't, but I would submit that Player 1 is weak but not weak-tight.

You read it wrong, and it's OK, because everyone misreads hands sometimes, 'specially me, but if a genuinely weak-tight player calls two cold on fifth street showing diamonds as his first two cards, I'm checking and calling when he hits the third one. Against most players, though, I bet, and if they have the flush, good for them. Most of the time, they don't. In this instance, I would more than likely have bet, and then bet the river. As it turns out, I would have collected a bunch more bets, as both of the two pair hands would more than likely have paid you off. On these occasions, I look like a genius. I look mildly foolish fairly often as well, but I come out all right. Well, except for the last couple of months....

I think that betting Aces-up in mildly scary situations such as this is profitable. It has the added side benefit of helping you get action on your future hands, as a lot of $3/6 stud players see this kind of bet as loose.

banditbdl
05-18-2003, 10:57 PM
Andy, excellent point on the future action side-effect. I hadn't thought of that here, and it definitely would have added significant value to the raise in this game.

SittingBull
05-19-2003, 03:11 AM
split K's from the get-go and didn't play his hand properly.
If that's the case,then his playing style is definitely that of a weak-tight(tight-passive player). These types are very profitable to play with. U not only can read them well,but when they do stay in,they allow u many opportunities to draw out on them cheaply.
And when u do make stronger hands than they,they tend to still stick around with hands like one big pair.
HappyPokering, /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
SittingBull