PDA

View Full Version : Hurt my knee

WackityWhiz
10-02-2005, 07:30 PM
about a week ago I fell (pretty hard) and landed on my left knee. I lit on a marble floor. When I run my finger across my kneecap, I can feel something. When I touch it, it sends tingles towards the outside of my knee. It's almost like a tendon/ligament (don't know the correct term) is injured. Is there a tendon/ligament that I could have torn on the front part of my knee?

Another thought I had is that I might have cracked my kneecap. Do you think it would be possible to crack your knee cap and still be able to walk around on it for a week? The only reason I suspect this is because it hurts pretty bad when I press down on it.

It only hurts when I touch it, so I'm guessing it's a _CL injury.

I'm going to the doctor in the next couple of days to get it checked out, just wanted to get an idea of what it could be first.

lem45216
10-02-2005, 08:05 PM
I shall consult the Reader's Digest Family Medical Adviser and be with you in a moment.

I chipped my knee onces, so there was this bit of bone that floated around my knee and got jammed in certain spots occasionally causing immense pain, i had to get it removed (the chip, not the knee). It might be something similar.

TomHimself
10-02-2005, 08:06 PM
i have a torn ACL, sucks big balls

lem45216
10-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Well, after consulting the medical book. I can safely say that I give up as i'm not really sure what to look for. But after reading it i don't think you've torn a cartiallige (sp?) or ligament as they apparantly, are inside the knee joint, rather than on the outside. Though it's quite likely that you've torn, or moved, or bruised the kneecap tendon which is right where you say the pain is.

For more information on knees see www.kneeguru.co.uk (http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/knee/knee_anatomy/bones_front01.html) or do a google image search for 'knee' for lots of interesting pictures of knees.
-jaffa-

WackityWhiz
10-02-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, after consulting the medical book. I can safely say that I give up as i'm not really sure what to look for. But after reading it i don't think you've torn a cartiallige (sp?) or ligament as they apparantly, are inside the knee joint, rather than on the outside. Though it's quite likely that you've torn, or moved, or bruised the kneecap tendon which is right where you say the pain is.

For more information on knees see www.kneeguru.co.uk (http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/knee/knee_anatomy/bones_front01.html) or do a google image search for 'knee' for lots of interesting pictures of knees.
-jaffa-

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, thanks for taking the time to answer. I hope it's not serious /images/graemlins/frown.gif

JayLear
10-02-2005, 08:32 PM
To tell you the truth, it sounds like you may have a really bad bruise. If there was ligament or cartilage damage you would most likely have some trouble bending it and/or putting weight on it. And I really doubt you could walk with a cracked knee cap. With a contusion it wouldn't surprise me if you could feel a bump in there.

That said, seeing somebody for it is the right call -- especially if you haven't seen any improvement for some time.

I'm not a doctor. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

WackityWhiz
10-02-2005, 08:39 PM
This is where it hurts...
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4092/rightthere3gj.jpg

I hope it's just a bruise, but the way it tingles when I run my finger across it worries me.

I'm very anxious about my knee being injured!

Felix_Nietsche
10-02-2005, 08:48 PM
.......and my symtoms was a 'trick knee'.
So I would be walking down a sidewalk and my knee would involuntarily buckle. I did not have any pain.

WackityWhiz
10-02-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
.......and my symtoms was a 'trick knee'.
So I would be walking down a sidewalk and my knee would involuntarily buckle. I did not have any pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be bad since it's my left knee and i'm a bowler. I slide on my left knee and put a lot of pressure on it at the foul line /images/graemlins/mad.gif

sorry about your knee btw

Rogue5
10-02-2005, 08:50 PM
same thing happened to me last winter playing some snow football.
I smacked my knee on some frozen turf a few times, hurt pretty good, but didn't think anything of it at the time, but then the next day it felt very strange. I could run my finger down the inside of my knee just inside the kneecap, and the outside of my knee on the other side of the kneecap would tingle a bit and feel strange. similar to what you described.

I could walk on it fine, and it didn't really "hurt", just felt strange.
didn't get it checked out, lasted a week or so, though I did get nailed in the same knee with a soccerball 2 days later, which seemed to worsen the feeling.

I'd be interested to see what the doctor says if you get it checked out.

fwiw my knee is fine now, doesn't seem to exhibit any lingering effects.

WackityWhiz
10-02-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
same thing happened to me last winter playing some snow football.
I smacked my knee on some frozen turf a few times, hurt pretty good, but didn't think anything of it at the time, but then the next day it felt very strange. I could run my finger down the inside of my knee just inside the kneecap, and the outside of my knee on the other side of the kneecap would tingle a bit and feel strange. similar to what you described.

I could walk on it fine, and it didn't really "hurt", just felt strange.
didn't get it checked out, lasted a week or so, though I did get nailed in the same knee with a soccerball 2 days later, which seemed to worsen the feeling.

I'd be interested to see what the doctor says if you get it checked out.

fwiw my knee is fine now, doesn't seem to exhibit any lingering effects.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is really reassuring, thanks