PDA

View Full Version : Advice on taking a break....

stillbr
10-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Anybody have advice on taking a break from poker. I'm asking this because I have been experiancing a little bit of burnout, because of this I have not been having good focus when playing and my results show it. Anyways, every time I try to take an extended break I get really antsy and want to play after like two days.

TheBlueMonster
10-02-2005, 07:54 PM
if you're playing online, delete the poker site shortcuck from your desktop so the immediate temptation isn't there.

EStreet20
10-02-2005, 08:34 PM
If you're hold'em exclusive player, like I am, when I take a break from hold'em but feel like playing I'll play low stakes stud or omaha. It gives me the feel of playing and keeps my brain going without feeling like I'm doing the same thing as I do every other day and there's no real pressure at those stakes.

Good luck,
Matt

mittman84
10-03-2005, 02:42 AM
I am also a college student, semi pro poker player. Early september I had a bad run of cards and I am sure some bad play mixed in there too with the sucks and such, and just wasnt enjoying playing poker at all (burnout). What I did was took two weeks off and didnt do anything poker related. Dont think about the game (if possible). Hang out with the g.f./wife/randon chick. Go to parties get stupid drunk, have lots of sex. Just do what every other college kid does and dont play/think about poker for two weeks. You will come back so refressed you wont believe it. I know it helped me a ton. I have a lot more fun after taking some time off, and am playing a lot better than right before the break. It will be worth it. Just make sure you go out and party, drink, do drugs and girls, all that good stuff and have a good time or else you will get the urge to play real bad. also you can mix in some studying to kill some time when yuo cant play, haha.

jba
10-03-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're hold'em exclusive player, like I am, when I take a break from hold'em but feel like playing I'll play low stakes stud or omaha. It gives me the feel of playing and keeps my brain going without feeling like I'm doing the same thing as I do every other day and there's no real pressure at those stakes.

Good luck,
Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what I do.

you don't even have to leave holdem, just play full instead of short or no limit instead of limit or tourneys instead of cash games, or whatever. You have to mix it up.

Sadat X
10-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Playing a different game is great for avoiding burnout. I love the $.5/1 Stud Hi/Lo on Party. I'm finally starting to get competent at it and last month I actually turned a modest profit.