PDA

View Full Version : More pictures of alcohol

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Lots of threads about alcohol lately, so I figured I'd take some pictures. I think this is most of the alcohol in my place, except for maybe 10 bottles of wine not in the cooler, a couple bottles of champagne in the fridge, and some vodka in the freezer.

The basics (only staple not present is Herradura Silver): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/sleepboxer/basics.jpg

Good stuff (this is constantly changing): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/sleepboxer/good.jpg

Wine: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/sleepboxer/wine.jpg

MelK
10-02-2005, 06:23 PM
I see too much empty shelf space.

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 06:24 PM
If I remembered my memory card I would show you the sweet mini-bar in my hotel room /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Is that 1/2-bottle ice wine?

*Edit* Nevermind, I don't think they make red ice wine. So what is it then?

private joker
10-02-2005, 06:29 PM
The presence of Jameson front and center is excellent. Skyy sucks and should be replaced by Grey Goose.

dibbs
10-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Nice. I've been meaning to pick up one of those display wine coolers, I like em.

diebitter
10-02-2005, 06:32 PM
My haiku inner-demon rises, and chants:

And why do you drink?
To be sociable? Nah -
Sweet obvilion.

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The 1/2 bottle sideways in the front is Zinskey Late, a Late Harvest Zin dessert wine from Robert Sinskey.

There's another 1/2 bottle above it to the left which still has a tag on it - that's Inniskillin Icewine.

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The presence of Jameson front and center is excellent. Skyy sucks and should be replaced by Grey Goose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Skyy does not suck. I'm pretty sure there's a bottle of Goose in the freezer.

phage
10-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Any Sake? Ever been to True Sake?

Slow Play Ray
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The 1/2 bottle sideways in the front is Zinskey Late, a Late Harvest Zin dessert wine from Robert Sinskey.

There's another 1/2 bottle above it to the left which still has a tag on it - that's Inniskillin Icewine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. Is the Zinskey red? I've never heard of a red dessert wine.

LetYouDown
Mind rattling off the names of the scotches? Can't read them all and I'm not that familiar with some of the scotches.

Ulysses
[ QUOTE ]
Nice. I've been meaning to pick up one of those display wine coolers, I like em.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haier is the way to go for those.

peachy
10-02-2005, 06:36 PM
im semi impressed

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a sake from True Sake in the middle picture on the left. I am a big fan of sake, but don't generally have it in the house because it doesn't keep well once opened, and it's a bit of a task to polish off a bottle of sake w/ a friend or two before heading out for the evening, which is typically the nature of drinking in my house (or wine with dinner).

jakethebake
10-02-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a sake from True Sake in the middle picture on the left. I am a big fan of sake, but don't generally have it in the house because it doesn't keep well once opened, and it's a bit of a task to polish off a bottle of sake w/ a friend or two before heading out for the evening, which is typically the nature of drinking in my house (or wine with dinner).

[/ QUOTE ]

Best Sake I ever had was made by monks on Okinawa. It was given to me as a gift by them, although they made a few bottles to sell. Man that was good stuff.

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mind rattling off the names of the scotches? Can't read them all and I'm not that familiar with some of the scotches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a ton of scotch there.

Balvenie 12yo doublewood and Glenfiddich in the top picture. Standard, solid scotches. The middle picture from the left is a bottle of sake, a couple of bottles of cognac, Black Maple Hill 16yo bourbon, some Balvenie 21 Portwood (my favorite scotch), Michel Couvreur (an incredibly good blend), and some cask strength Springbank 10.

phage
10-02-2005, 06:48 PM
True sake is pretty amazing. The owner is a sake sommelier and really knows his stuff. I am always amazed at the variety of flavours and textures (!) that can be found in such a supposedly simple beverage.

ethan
10-02-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Michel Couvreur (an incredibly good blend)

[/ QUOTE ]
This and the sake are the only bottles there I'm not familiar with (aside from the wine). I don't think I've seen it before, and I've spent a lot of time in good liquor stores. Any quick description you could give?

The Black Maple Hill 16 is an excellent choice.

astroglide
10-02-2005, 07:20 PM
skyy is a great mixing vodka

gonores
10-02-2005, 07:34 PM
44 North Vodka
Tanqueray or Tanqueray 10 Gin

One of the more impressive scotch collections I've seen, though.

toddw8
10-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Where's the beer?

MrWookie47
10-02-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had some fantastic late harvest and icewine Rieslings. That late harvest Zin sounds like spectacular idea for a wine. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.

TimM
10-02-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im semi impressed

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the closest I've ever seen you come to letting down your blasé shield.

wacki
10-02-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1 more vote for skyy.

bwana devil
10-02-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone else see the 20/20 show where the vodka snobs couldnt distinguish any vodka selection once it was mixed?

all the people who said they exclusively drank grey goose said they thought it tasted the worst when they drank it straight also. grey goose seems to be the best marketed vodka.

bwana

peachy
10-02-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im semi impressed

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh

edfurlong
10-02-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im semi impressed

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he said you were fat.

Claunchy
10-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Looks good to me. You need some Kahlua though.

LetYouDown
10-02-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He has Bailey's...that's all he needs.

Manque
10-02-2005, 10:22 PM
I salute you on the Balvenie. Excellent stuff

Larimani
10-02-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kahlua > Baileys.

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where's the beer?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's rarely much beer in the house unless I've had a get-together of some sort recently. There might be a few bottles of Negra Modelo in the fridge.

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had some fantastic late harvest and icewine Rieslings. That late harvest Zin sounds like spectacular idea for a wine. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Zinskey Late (http://shop.robertsinskey.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=specs&item=1076522813&choice=Big%2 0and%20Little%20Bottles)

B Dids
10-02-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kahlua > Baileys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but there's slight differences between the two that would make owning both ideal.

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Michel Couvreur (an incredibly good blend)

[/ QUOTE ] Any quick description you could give?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good overview: Michel Couvreur (http://www.whiskeypages.com/html/bgsm_mich.html)
Another interesting review (http://www.mcgees.org/malts/michelcouvreur12unfiltered.html)

In a nutshell, the bottle shown is a blend that tastes like a high-end single malt. It comes with a cork sealed in wax, which is sort of cool.

[ QUOTE ]
The Black Maple Hill 16 is an excellent choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was just given that as a birthday present. I really like it.

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kahlua > Baileys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but there's slight differences between the two that would make owning both ideal.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are significantly different.

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im semi impressed

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
huh

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he said you were fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn that was funny! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kahlua > Baileys.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're nowhere close to the same thing. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Claunchy
10-02-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No kidding. The two aren't even remotely interchangeable. The only similarity is that both are often put in coffee. Gotta have Kahlua for White Russians if nothing else.

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, in the left corner, are a couple of tiny bottles of Bushmill's Irish Cream.

LetYouDown
10-02-2005, 10:49 PM
No, they're definitely not interchangeable. But I'd prefer Bailey's over Kahlua. I realize there's a real strong chance I'm in the minority. Never liked White Russians, or anything else with Kahlua in it.

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No kidding. The two aren't even remotely interchangeable. The only similarity is that both are often put in coffee. Gotta have Kahlua for White Russians if nothing else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chicks at my place get to drink wine, cosmos, or margaritas. No White Russians. Come on, man, have some pride.

sfer
10-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Very nice single malts. Only one bottle of champagne though. I expect you to be more prepared for impromptu celebrations.

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Very nice single malts. Only one bottle of champagne though. I expect you to be more prepared for impromptu celebrations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, there are three in the cooler (two you can see, one is hidden in the back) and a couple in the fridge.

BottlesOf
10-02-2005, 11:15 PM
Or Ketel One

10-02-2005, 11:15 PM
I didn't know there was going to be an open bar. And the guy really knew his stuff! He made me a mojito. I don't think it's a gay drink. Mo-ji-to...

jakethebake
10-02-2005, 11:16 PM
How much is left in there, El Diablo? You seem to be sampling pretty heavily tonight. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

J.A.Sucker
10-02-2005, 11:19 PM
When are we drinking your bottle of The Grange? I could care less about the rest, though you have some good taste in Scotch. Where's the Fernet or the Booker's?

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When are we drinking your bottle of The Grange? I could care less about the rest, though you have some good taste in Scotch. Where's the Fernet or the Booker's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you have a trip report to write. Get to work. Currently a little light on the Bourbons, that will be rectified soon. Fernet needs to be there, you are correct. The Grange is not for you. But I'll bust open something good next time you're over.

J.A.Sucker
10-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Going to movies soon, so no report until I get tired of writing my thesis. Probably tomorrow. You need Booker's. I need Booker's at my house too. I'm getting some tomorrow.

As for The Grange, FU. Next time we go the steakhouse by the ballpark, you're buying a bottle of that. It's only 275 at the restaurant, which is a bargain compared to that Mad Dog doppleganger you picked out last week for 90 bucks. You owe me one, rich boy.

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that Mad Dog doppleganger you picked out last week for 90 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Valerie likes it. She is hot.

Sponger15SB
10-02-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mad Dog doppleganger you picked out last week for 90 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You way overpaid, should be like $3

http://www.winostuff.com/images/md2020.jpg

J.A.Sucker
10-02-2005, 11:41 PM
I should teach her something about wine. She - er - never mind.

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I should teach her something about wine. She - er - never mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't even seen her in non-bartender clothes. She is soooooooo hot.

mmbt0ne
10-03-2005, 01:05 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kahlua &gt; Baileys.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be known as a B-52 shot my friend. Liquid candy.

nolanfan34
10-03-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a dual temp one, or do you think it makes a difference? I can pick up a dual temp 60 bottle one from someone at work for $400, retail is $600, I'm thinking about it.

Wish we could see the wine labels a little better, but I'll assume you have some good ones in there.

Ulysses
10-03-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a dual temp one, or do you think it makes a difference? I can pick up a dual temp 60 bottle one from someone at work for $400, retail is $600, I'm thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dual temp is nice for being able to drink wines pretty much immediately.

MCS
10-03-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Chicks at my place get to drink wine, cosmos, or margaritas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wine and cosmos are the correct choices.

"Margaritas" seems just out of nowhere to me. But maybe you pull it off. In which case, congrats.

(edit: Apple martini is also a money drink.)

peachy
10-03-2005, 02:24 AM
all i care about is the gran ma hes got front and center

JihadOnTheRiver
10-03-2005, 02:39 AM
no real gins? sapphire is a decent start. what about the good stuff?

ethan
10-03-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Margaritas" seems just out of nowhere to me. But maybe you pull it off. In which case, congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the margarita. (And, to some degree, on who's drinking it.) But it's a pretty solid standard drink option. If it's Cuervo Tequila + Cuervo Margarita Mix...that's not good. If it's decent-to-good tequila (he mentioned Herradura, which certainly qualifies), lime juice and Grand Marnier, the right people will like it.

Ulysses
10-03-2005, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the margarita. (And, to some degree, on who's drinking it.) But it's a pretty solid standard drink option. If it's Cuervo Tequila + Cuervo Margarita Mix...that's not good. If it's decent-to-good tequila (he mentioned Herradura, which certainly qualifies), lime juice and Grand Marnier, the right people will like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

To the initial dude: Who the F doesn't love a good margarita?

The Cazadores tequila in the first pic is great, prob my second favorite mid-priced tequila after Chinaco. Herradura Silver is my favorite tequila at a slightly lower price level.

Ulysses
10-03-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I save that for the pros at the bars to make me great martinis with. There was a period of martinis at the house prior to going out, but that never seemed to end well.

goofball
10-03-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I save that for the pros at the bars to make me great martinis with. There was a period of martinis at the house prior to going out, but that never seemed to end well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Martinis are never really very good for prefunking.

I notice there's no rum.

Ulysses
10-03-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Martinis are never really very good for prefunking.

I notice there's no rum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there should be some Captain Morgan's up there.

Boris
10-03-2005, 03:44 AM
I was with this hot chick at the Buddha bar this weekend who liked Apple Martinis. And you're right. She was money.

ethan
10-03-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Cazadores tequila in the first pic is great, prob my second favorite mid-priced tequila after Chinaco. Herradura Silver is my favorite tequila at a slightly lower price level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I've had the Cazadores, I'll make sure to pick up a bottle next I see it. I've gone through a couple bottles of the Chinaco Anejo and it's good stuff, one of my favorites in that price range. I'd imagine their silver would be v. good for mixing. I still think the best of the $40-$50 tequilas is Casa Noble. The silver and reposado are around that price-wise, and the anejo's $75. I'd recommend you give them a try. If I want a tequila to drink neat it's usually the Casa Noble Reposado.

MCS
10-03-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To the initial dude: Who the F doesn't love a good margarita?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. I figured margaritas would be fine, just not good as wine or cosmos. I guess you didn't say this alcohol was being used solely to reduce inhibition.

Plus, I have a girlfriend these days, and while both of us can get uppity about our beer/liquor/wine, I think we would drink paint thinner if nothing else were available at my place. So I don't have to worry about it, though I end up buying a lot of good stuff anyway just because I like it.

But I am glad to see Boris confirmed my apple martini claim.

Ulysses
10-25-2005, 11:25 PM
Some new stuff....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/sleepboxer/new.jpg

IndieMatty
10-25-2005, 11:27 PM
That's a lot of booze for someone who can't hold their stella.

judgesmails
10-25-2005, 11:29 PM
I love The Balvenie 21.

I was introduced to it on a golf trip to Scotland by a bartender at Rusack's hotel in St. Andrews. Seeing the bottle always brings back good memories of the trip.

Voltron87
10-25-2005, 11:32 PM
one of these things is not like the other one...

what on earth is that stuff?

Ulysses
10-25-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
one of these things is not like the other one...

what on earth is that stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whiskey that is unchillfiltered and has no caramel added.

Scotch info (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky)

Matt Flynn
10-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Ok, all right, you convinced me, I'll be there in March.

Emmitt2222
10-26-2005, 12:29 AM
This thread reinforces my desire to go to bartending school so I can learn what the heck is going on with all of these alcohols. All the people I know just know the simpler wine beer and occasional mixed drink thing. Either that or find some alcohol mentor with vast knowledge.

J.A.Sucker
10-26-2005, 01:09 AM
Where's this?

&lt;&lt;&lt;-----------------

ethan
10-26-2005, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Where's this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was glad to find out I'm not the only person who likes Fernet Branca.

MyTurn2Raise
10-26-2005, 03:23 AM
vodka---Grey Goose or Ketel One

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where's this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was glad to find out I'm not the only person who likes Fernet Branca.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most bartenders and waitstaff in SF drink Fernet as their default shot. I introduced Sucker, Boris and the rest of the gang to it and of course they all love it, since it is awesome.

10-26-2005, 03:57 AM
Okay, when I was bartending years back (Im 21, no I didnt just say 'years back') I came across a vodka called hangar..something, either hangar 51 or hangar one. It was the smoothest thing I have ever tried.. has anyone else seen it?

I will try to find a pic if I can.

EDIT: Thumbnail of the mandarin blossom type. Click it for fullsized. Check this stuff out, it's amazing.
http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/7231/hangaronemandarinblossom6292oi.th.jpg (http://img481.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hangaronemandarinblossom6292oi.jpg)

ethan
10-26-2005, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most bartenders and waitstaff in SF drink Fernet as their default shot. I introduced Sucker, Boris and the rest of the gang to it and of course they all love it, since it is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be damned...I don't think I've ever seen it ordered in LA. Bunch of savages in this town.

ethan
10-26-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, when I was bartending years back (Im 21, no I didnt just say 'years back') I came across a vodka called hangar..something, either hangar 51 or hangar one. It was the smoothest thing I have ever tried.. has anyone else seen it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Hangar One flavored vodkas are by far the best I've had.

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 04:57 AM
As Ethan says, these are the best flavored vodkas around. Kaffir Lime is my favorite.

asofel
10-26-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's a lot of booze for someone who can't hold their stella.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do believe this is a prime opportunity for gimmick account "Oh Snap!"

Paxosmotic
10-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Ugh, I'm going to stop putting it off, this weekend I'm going booze hunting.

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 12:55 PM
I already have the next two bottles picked out.

http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/files/e20yr904_b2.gif/$FILE/e20yr904_b2.gif http://www.maltsandmore.de/catalog/images/MMDDufftown1993.JPG

Paxosmotic
10-26-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm in the mood to go out and buy... let's say, 3 good bottles of liquor this weekend. What's my best start and why? I've seen the Joe Tall home bar thread, but I'm looking for just a few.

poincaraux
10-26-2005, 12:58 PM
I just read up on Old Potrero .. trip report please! I found it at bevmo.com (http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.asp?area=home&amp;seref=froogle&amp;pf_id=0000 0055216&amp;bhcp=1) for $60. Can you get it cheaper locally?

PS the video at the Isle of Jura website (http://www.isleofjura.com/newjura/index.htm) is priceless.

arod15
10-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Nice....No Louie the XIII

rohjoh
10-26-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the mood to go out and buy... let's say, 3 good bottles of liquor this weekend. What's my best start and why? I've seen the Joe Tall home bar thread, but I'm looking for just a few.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of budget, and what types of things do you like to drink would be helpful.

Paxosmotic
10-26-2005, 01:04 PM
I prefer to drink from a shot glass held by the lucious cheeks of NextDoorNikki

$100 and less a bottle, let's say... a whiskey, a bourbon, and a wildcard, like a scotch, brandy, gin, or tequila.

Shajen
10-26-2005, 01:11 PM
What are your thoughts on the 150 year old Granma?

MrWookie47
10-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Bourbon? Going with Booker's is a fine choice.

Scotch? Balvanie Port Wood, as El D has, is excellent.

Whiskey? Are you talking Irish or Canadian? Actually, I'm not familiar with any of those in the $50-$100 range.

If you want a real wildcard, pick up a bottle of Hendrick's gin. It's not only flavored with juniper berries (the dominant flavor in gin), it's also flavored with cucumber, and some other things. It is quite a treat.

rohjoh
10-26-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

$100 and less a bottle, let's say... a whiskey, a bourbon, and a wildcard, like a scotch, brandy, gin, or tequila.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a wiskey a burbon and a scotch would be a little redundant. Here is what I would go with.

Tequilla $89(great for taking shots of Nikki's ass):
http://www.hitimewine.net/istarimages/p/p-164132.jpg

Scotch $125:

http://www.hitimewine.net/istarimages/p/p-117760.gif

Whiskey $79: http://www.hitimewine.net/istarimages/p/p-100120.gif

howzit
10-26-2005, 01:42 PM
no pics but here's what I've started with

Bourbons:
Blantons, Basil Hayden and Bookers

Whiskey:
Jamison

Scotch:
(none)

Tequila:
Patron and Sauza (mixing)

Vodka:
Skyy and Grey Goose (left over from a night out)

Gin:
Tanq 10

Staples/Mixers:
Triple Sec
Grand Marnier
Chambord
Frangelica
Baileys
Peach Schnapps
Rasberry Brandy (french and forget the name, mostly for cooking)
Armagnac

Please add personal perferences or suggestions. . . .

I will be looking into the pictured bourbons and whiskey soon. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just read up on Old Potrero .. trip report please! I found it at bevmo.com (http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.asp?area=home&amp;seref=froogle&amp;pf_id=0000 0055216&amp;bhcp=1) for $60. Can you get it cheaper locally?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, was just a couple bucks cheaper. I have reviewed their previous attempt somewhere in the archives. It was 125 proof and had an overpowering alcohol taste. I did not like it at all (I'm fond of cask strengths, especially The Macallan. Springbank is pretty good too.). Another 125 Proof Old Potrero review. (http://www.asterius.com/cocktails/rye.html)

This release is 90 proof and is much better imo. Still a good kick, but very full body and flavor, almost sweet. I really like this a lot.

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should start a new thread for this with more details on what you're looking for, stuff you like, etc.

poincaraux
10-26-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, was just a couple bucks cheaper. I have reviewed their previous attempt somewhere in the archives. It was 125 proof and had an overpowering alcohol taste. I did not like it at all (I'm fond of cask strengths, especially The Macallan. Springbank is pretty good too.). Another 125 Proof Old Potrero review. (http://www.asterius.com/cocktails/rye.html)

This release is 90 proof and is much better imo. Still a good kick, but very full body and flavor, almost sweet. I really like this a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. I'll put it on my ever-growing list of impending alcohol purchases (the 90 proof .. I'll take your word on the 125 proof). Ardbeg and cask-strength Macallan were the first two bottles of Scotch that I ever bought, and they're still two of my favorites. I just finished the Macallan, so Old Potrero will be pretty high on my list. It'll also be the most expensive bottle of (non-wine) alcohol I've ever purchased.

xadrez
10-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Get rid of the Patron (I dont mean throw out I mean drink it /images/graemlins/grin.gif) and get some Don Julio. I prefer Blanco tequilas personally, but any of the Don Julios are excellent.

Diplomat
10-26-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whiskey:
Jamison

Scotch:
(none)

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a problem here.

-Diplomat

howzit
10-26-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whiskey:
Jamison

Scotch:
(none)

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a problem here.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

where to start is the question.. . .i have $200 to fix this problem.

xadrez
10-26-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$200

[/ QUOTE ]

Balvenie 12 (45ish)
Talisker 18 (60ish)
Laphroaig 10 (45ish)
Oban (50ish)

howzit
10-26-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
what is the name of this tequila? Don Faluno?

I will try to find this bourbon in the city.

rohjoh
10-26-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
what is the name of this tequila? Don Faluno?

I will try to find this bourbon in the city.

[/ QUOTE ]

DON FULANO ANEJO 750

If you cant find in the city try this website. LINK (http://www.hitimewine.net/iStar.htm)

citanul
10-26-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As Ethan says, these are the best flavored vodkas around. Kaffir Lime is my favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately the raspberry is not available in most of the country.

i started getting the hangar one flavored vodkas majority on El D's recommendation, and i couldn't agree more. their flavored vodkas are absolutely amazing.

c

rohjoh
10-26-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately the raspberry is not available in most of the country.

i started getting the hangar one flavored vodkas majority on El D's recommendation, and i couldn't agree more. their flavored vodkas are absolutely amazing.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

You can order it online LINK (http://www.hitimewine.net/istar.asp?a=6&amp;id=163998&amp;csurl=/istar.asp?a%3D3%26dept%3D87%26sortby%3D%26numperpa ge%3D30%26pos%3D90)

MrMon
10-27-2005, 10:17 AM
If you like Hangar One, which is good, try the stuff from Charbay. Even better.

Domaine Charbay (http://www.charbay.com/)

AEKDBet
10-27-2005, 11:37 AM
I'm giving this a go tonight

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a305/hinson4/Scotch_resize.jpg

Ulysses
10-27-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you like Hangar One, which is good, try the stuff from Charbay. Even better.

Domaine Charbay (http://www.charbay.com/)

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I like Charbay, but prefer Hangar One. Might just come down to the specific type of flavoring you prefer, they are both good.

Ulysses
10-27-2005, 08:09 PM
That is going to be great. Glenrothes is excellent. I didn't realize that series did a Glenrothes bottling. Glenrothes' own bottlings, btw, come in very cool bottles.

cwsiggy
10-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Just curious what you thought of Walker Blue? Overrated?
worth it. Supposedly beat out everything (even single malts)in some big competition a while back.

ethan
10-27-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That is going to be great. Glenrothes is excellent. I didn't realize that series did a Glenrothes bottling. Glenrothes' own bottlings, btw, come in very cool bottles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went by my local liquor store today, and they had a couple of the un-chillfiltered bottles from the series along with the rye you bought. Once I'm officially offered a job - I just started applying - I'm going to restock my bar, which is pretty empty at the moment. (The pic of it I posted a month ago was a year old, give or take. The bar's taken a beating since.) I'm figuring that gives me $1K-1.5K to spend in liquor, which will include at least one of these.

I'll take pictures, and try put together a decent writeup.

Oh yea - Diablo, how's the rye? The last couple I bought were the Sazerac and the Van Winkle, but I'm looking to try something new.

xadrez
10-27-2005, 10:57 PM
OK Since this great thread is still alive, Ill add some photos of my personal stash. Nothing too impressive but Im poor dirtbag generally. Enjoy.

The two horizontal bottles are a portuguese "aguardente" and a vau vintage sandeman 2000 port
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/adsantos13/alc7.jpg

in the back is a ron del barrilito 2 star and a talisker 10
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/adsantos13/alc5.jpg

In the back corner is another portuguese desert wine, moscatel. the yellow bottle is a brazilian cachaca..,
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/adsantos13/alc4.jpg

heres the whole thing from afar

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/adsantos13/IMG_1732.jpg

HDPM
10-27-2005, 11:19 PM
mmmmm, late harvest zin. Only had one, from carol shelton. Zin is goot. Late harvest dessert zin goot too.

HDPM
10-27-2005, 11:28 PM
envious of the old potrero. Thanks for mentioning it before I was in Napa last year. Enjoyed it. Mad I can't get it here.

Ulysses
10-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Very respectable stash there.

xadrez
10-27-2005, 11:39 PM
TY for the heads up on the Cazadores btw. I read about it in an old tequila thread and its great. I like tequila to be kinda firey, and it has a nice strong finish

Ulysses
10-27-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just curious what you thought of Walker Blue? Overrated?
worth it. Supposedly beat out everything (even single malts)in some big competition a while back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only had it a couple of times, but my impression was that it was very good but not something I'd pay that much for (something like $200/bottle).

Ulysses
10-27-2005, 11:47 PM
What is the Scapa like? Don Julio is another one of my favorite tequilas. The Cachaca is a very nice touch.

xadrez
10-27-2005, 11:56 PM
The Scapa is so-so for a single malt. That was a Duty free purchase. I wouldn't recommend paying retail for it. Its an island malt but it doesnt have the smokeyness that I personally love. I struggle to come up with good tasting adjectives but the word thats coming to mind to describe it is "non-descript". That being said I will definately finish the bottle and enjoy it.

Cachaca is always good to have on hand. Caipirinhas are always a hit if you have people over for drinks.

MrWookie47
10-28-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cachaca is always good to have on hand. Caipirinhas are always a hit if you have people over for drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stocking Cachaca is a very classy touch, and knowing what a Caiprinha is is derfinitely noteworthy. Too many good drinks have fallen out of favor because people go for the boring old X and Coke.

Maybe I'll put up a picture of my bar. I don't have much that's all that impressive in terms of fin Scotches, however. I'd say the most impressive thing in my bar is probably by bottle of Luxardo maraschino. It's not like it's expensive, but it's very hard to find. It makes some spectacular drinks, though, so I'm glad I got a hold of a couple of bottles.

bobbyi
10-28-2005, 12:48 AM
What do you use the Grand Marnier for? I had some food with a Grand Marnier sauce once and thought it was really tasty, but I don't think I've ever actually had a drink with Grand Marnier. I was tempted to buy a bottle last time I was in the liquer store, but I don't know what to do with it.

MrWookie47
10-28-2005, 01:01 AM
Grand Marinier is easy to use. You can substitute it for Triple Sec in just about anything. It's somewhat sweeter and more flavorful, but both add an orange flavor to the drink. Cointreau is another liquor in this same genre. It's drier than either, and is usually the original ingredient where Triple Sec may be substituted by someone who doesn't care to pay as much.

Ulysses
10-28-2005, 04:42 AM
As Wookie says, Grand Marnier and Cointreau (both are in the picture) are orange liquers that are substituted as a step up from Triple Sec. The only thing I use them in is margaritas. I am not quite sure why we have both. Grand Marnier I think is just slightly nicer than Cointreau, but they are pretty much the same. I'm sure there's other stuff that can be made with them, but their sole purpose in this house is for margaritas. You have inspired me. I am gonna make some other drink w/ Grand Marnier this weekend.

mmbt0ne
10-28-2005, 06:38 PM
I just picked up a bottle of the Hanger 1 Madarin Blossom along with some other staples to celebrate the end of my shitty week.

I'm looking forward to it.

RunDownHouse
10-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Holy [censored], where'd you find the Ron del Barrillito? If its available stateside, let me know please. The only place I've ever seen it is in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Man, I tore through bottles and bottles of that stuff. Goes very well with a nice cigar.

MrWookie47
10-28-2005, 07:11 PM
I was looking through my cocktail book (Cocktail, by Paul Harrington and Laura Moorhead - it's out of print, but I highly recommend it if you're looking for some more sophisticated tipples), and I actually found a drink that specifically called for Grand Marnier. It's called a Leap Year: 2 oz gin, 0.5 oz sweet vermouth, 0.5 oz Grand Marnier, 0.25 oz lemon juice. I hadn't tried it, but I whipped it up for the purposes of this post. It's quite good - sweet, but still maintains some complexity of flavor. Another classic worth drinking with Grand Marnier is a Sidecar - 1.5 oz brandy or cognac, 0.75 oz lemon juice, 0.75 oz Grand Marnier (originally Cointreau). A third one to try is called a Pegu: 1.5 oz gin, 0.5 oz lime juice, 0.5 oz Grand Marnier (or Cointreau), and 2 dashes of Angostura bitters. The bitters add a really distinctive character to this last drink. It's in my top 10 favorites.

Ulysses
10-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Thanks, all of those sound great! Sidecar is one I've had in a bar but didn't really know what was in it. The one w/ the Angostura bitters sounds excellent - and I have bitters!

10-28-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone else see the 20/20 show where the vodka snobs couldnt distinguish any vodka selection once it was mixed?

all the people who said they exclusively drank grey goose said they thought it tasted the worst when they drank it straight also. grey goose seems to be the best marketed vodka.

bwana

[/ QUOTE ]

-i'm not a vodka snob at all, but grey goose is definitely my favorite, because its the most tasteless. i think the best tasting vodka is the most free of any taste. others might choose vodka in a different way though. see what i mean? i think it's rather subjective.

but sometimes i want different vodka than grey goose, like ketel one or absolute. i can tell the difference by the way-- at least on the first drink.

hey if you ever get there, theres an awsome vodka bar in NYC at around 55 street and 7th avenue.

Paxosmotic
10-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Just bought my first bottle of Elijah Craig single barrel (aged 24 years, thank you) after the highest recommendations. Anyone else had it? What can I expect?

MrWookie47
10-28-2005, 07:43 PM
The cocktail book I recommended contains a brief history of many of the recipes it lists. That last drink got its name from the club in which it was born - the Pegu Club. It apparently made the place world famous in the late 20's and early 30's, and deservingly so. Really, all the drinks listed in that book are targeted at Scotch drinkers - those who appreciate complex, strong flavors - but who also like a change of pace. I was fortunate enough to pick up a copy when the author was still selling signed copies directly on Amazon. That's about the only place you can find it anymore. If you like these suggestions, you'd probably like just about everything it lists. Here's one more worth trying, even if it doesn't meet your Grand Marnier request. It's called a Highlander: 2 oz JW Red (or another fairly inexpensive blended Scotch), 0.25-0.5 oz Benedictine, and 2 dashes of bitters. Drop in a twist of lemon and enjoy. If you substitute bourbon for Scotch, it's called a Derby, which is also excellent.

MrWookie47
10-28-2005, 07:47 PM
I've been hollaring for a while now that Fris is by far the best value in vodka. It's very similar in quality to the Grey Goose - many friends of mine actually prefer it - but it costs about 1/3 less. I can't bring myself to spend any more money on vodka than that, it's a great value. I strongly encourage any vodka drinkers to try it out and then tell me they can justify spending their money on Grey Goose.

10-28-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been hollaring for a while now that Fris is by far the best value in vodka. It's very similar in quality to the Grey Goose - many friends of mine actually prefer it - but it costs about 1/3 less. I can't bring myself to spend any more money on vodka than that, it's a great value. I strongly encourage any vodka drinkers to try it out and then tell me they can justify spending their money on Grey Goose.

[/ QUOTE ]

alright my friend. i'm gonna try fris. i must admit i've never tried it. i'll get back to you.

xadrez
10-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Ron del Barrilito is widely available in NYC and the surrounding areas...

Try the Park Avenue Liquor store (http://www.parkaveliquor.com/parkave/html/)

I believe they ship within the US

10-28-2005, 07:53 PM
congrats on Elija Craig. it's good stuff. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

by the way, as a matter of fact I went to bartending school in NYC, and was a bartender for a year. i quit a year ago.

diebitter
10-28-2005, 07:53 PM
http://www.4wdtrips.net/forum/attach.aspx/2864/alochol-related.jpg

10-28-2005, 07:56 PM
awsome pic!

Ulysses
10-28-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just bought my first bottle of Elijah Craig single barrel (aged 24 years, thank you) after the highest recommendations. Anyone else had it? What can I expect?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had Elijah Craig single barrel, but I'm not sure that what I had was 24 yo unless that is all they make in that. What I had was awesome. It had a great, very full flavor, a big kick, but at the same time smooth as silk. So, worst-case, you should expect that it is awesome, but quite possibly much better than awesome.

10-28-2005, 08:01 PM
i was thinking the other day about my alcohol evolution. when i was 13 i snuck a bottle of beer to the back yard, opened it and had a sip, threw it away. in college i attended keg parties. after college i liked mixed drinks. years later i enjoyed scotch.

now i sit in front of sportscenter with a bottle of vodka and no glass.

Paxosmotic
10-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Sippin it right now, woooooo it kicks, but I'm lovin it.