PDA

View Full Version : Hello! On 5th ,it's checked Around to....the Bull...

SittingBull
05-18-2003, 05:45 PM
after a player pairs his doorcard giving him (x,x)8 x 8.
It's 3-way action..but can't remember what the other player had(this means that I do not perceive his cards as being a threat to my hand).
On 3rd,the Bull fired away with (A x) A and continued to fire on 4th.
The player with (x,x) 8 x 8 was loose but not wreckless.
How should the Bull proceed with his "dry" A's on 5th?
HappyPokering,
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif SittingBull

banditbdl
05-18-2003, 06:11 PM
I think you need to fire away once more to see if you can get heads up with the eights because you never know what the apparently non-threatening third player might have. However, if your cards are semi-dead and/or you feel there's a real possibility of check-raise from the eights, i would think about checking.

patrick dicaprio
05-18-2003, 09:49 PM
you dont say what happened on third street so it is difficult to determine if his door card gave him trips. however i would continue to call here,assuming he bets, and would raise on sixth street. unless he has trips you are still in good shape.

Pat

SittingBull
05-19-2003, 02:41 AM
take a free card. I put the 8's on at least two pairs. Hence,it was more than "instinct'. However,I do not believe that the 8's would have check-raised me even if he had a set of 8's. He was more of a Str. shooter and quite passive.
HappyPokering, /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
SittingBull

SittingBull
05-19-2003, 02:52 AM
split A's and had 3 callers. On 4th,I fired again and had 2 callers,one with (x,x) 8 x..
Now on 5th,(x,x)8 x improved to (x,x) 8 x 8 and I received no improvement to my dry A's.
The player (x,x)8 x 8 checked(he was high) and the other player checked. Now it was up to me.
What would u do if u were me (on 5th Str.)?
Just wondering,
HappyPokering /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
SittingBull

Dr Wogga
05-19-2003, 11:43 AM
....I fire away on 5th, and if you both don't improve on 6th st, bet again. If u improve to 2 pr or trips yourself on the river, bet the river as well - he will need to fill to beat you, and since he goes first, you'll know whether he did or not, by whether he bets.

I would say that the type of opponent you describe is the easiest to play against. Sat night in A.C. at a 1-5 stud game, a woman player fit this exact description. I ended up folding a made flush on 6th st (had no chance for the str flush). She told the person next to her that it wasn't her night.....because every time she fills, nobody's in the hand /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif LOL!

patrick dicaprio
05-19-2003, 04:05 PM
when you say fired away i presume you mean you raised to 5? assuming so i would bet on fifth and would fold if checkraised. if he has trips he will certainly raise since he thinks it is likely that you will call since you represented aces. or maybe i am giving him too much credit. but that is what i would do. if he bets into you on sixth i would raise.

Pat

SittingBull
05-19-2003, 05:48 PM
that I did not believe that he would checkraise me EVEN if he had a set of 8's.. Passive players rarely checkraise their strong hands..
Happy Pokering, /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
SittingBull

SittingBull
05-19-2003, 05:55 PM
this player had at least 2 pairs--if not a set? So why would u continue to bet if u no longer have the best hand?? Is it because u are still a money favorite against his 2 underpairs??
Although the other player didn't seem to have a serious hand,he too had something to stay. So I'm not entirely discounting him.
It would seem that the implicit collusion would warrant a pull,not a push.
SittingBull

SittingBull
05-19-2003, 05:57 PM

SittingBull
05-20-2003, 01:39 AM
The Bull smelled a 'rat' and checked.
The 8's checked 6th and 7th..
The Bull received no help and checked along..Hmmm
Player with 8's had a set of 8's and took it down..Hmm
SittingBull

Duke
05-20-2003, 03:22 AM
What do you mean by max bet?

By 5th you're at the big bet stage of the hand, right? Or are you playing some sort of a spread limit game?

Thanks.

~D

Dr Wogga
05-20-2003, 01:34 PM
....BTW I saw the hand result you posted prior to writing this andhave to admit I am thoroughly confused (not unusual /forums/images/icons/blush.gif )....originally you posted: "The player with (x,x) 8 x 8 was loose but not wreckless" - then you reply "He was more of a Str. shooter and quite passive."
This led me to the conclusions he would bet trips, possibly not 2 low pair. Since he goes 1st and you are 99.9% certain a check-raise is out of the question, if he bets you will know when he either has trips or has filled. Since he checked, to answer your question to me, I put him on 2 small pairs, and fire away because I will improve my Aces more times than he will fill. Still, I have to admit this is an assumption on my part because you don't give other details other than his 8s and your Aces, so I don't know who has dead or live cards either.

Did you come to the conclusion this player was quite passive as a result of this particular hand? Hopefully, you thanked your lucky stars that this player was at your table, because he will pay you off in full for your winners and while getting "jack" for his winners.

SittingBull
05-20-2003, 03:40 PM
about 2 Hrs--His style was almost constant--passive.
He probably believed that I would continue to drive the ball after he paired his door. He also most likely believed that by betting out,I would,correctly,fold. He did not want me to fold.
He wanted me to improve to two pairs and continue the drive(which I would have). He was a non-regular on vacation.
It's true that I had a good chance of improving my A's if he had two underpairs--however,frequently, 2 underpairs wins against one big pair.
SittingBull

SittingBull
05-20-2003, 03:43 PM

Al_Capone_Junior
05-21-2003, 03:42 PM
I'm assuming you raised on 3rd and bet out on 4th.

On 5th, When the 8 pairs, then checks to you, I'd bet. Now two things are likely to happen, given your description of the player. You might get check-raised, in which case I'd probably fold. Or you might just get called, in which case I would probably bet again on 6th, and check-call 7th, unless you catch something juicy, like an ace. I would not give him a free card on 5th (not to mention your other opponent).

al