PDA

View Full Version : CD Burning Software

02-07-2002, 05:59 PM
Hey all,

My neighbor and friend has a PC with Windows NT and an internal CD burner. He has been using HotBurn for a while but it really stinks. Ends up ruining more CDs than it successfully completes. He told me I could have unlimited access to his CD collection and burner if I could find him a good replacement for his current software.

Anyone have some recommendations on CD burner software? We will not be doing anything fancy. Just making audio CDs. Must be able to make compilations though. I found some cheap programs that looked easy to use but could only copy one whole CD to a blank. We want to make lots of "Best of..." CDs so that won't work.

Thanks.

KJS

02-07-2002, 06:26 PM
nero burning rom or roxio easy cd creator.

you can download eval versions (hint)

brad

02-07-2002, 06:28 PM
If you want to make "best of" CDs, you will

generally need to first "rip" the tracks you

want onto your computer and then combine them

and "burn" them onto a new CD. Thus, you really

need two pieces of software.

I could give you lots of first hand experience

with software for doing this under Unix, but

have little experience with Windows software.

My brother seems to be happy with the free version

of NERO for burning which came with his CDRW.

It can be found at www.nero.com (http://www.nero.com).

Note, the problem with making CDs may not be

the software. It may be the CDRW drive itself.

Also, when burning CDs, always shut down EVERY

unnecessary program on your computer and do

NOTHING else while the CD is being made. If

you consume a lot of system memory while the

CD is being burned, you risk draining the CDRW's

buffers and you've got a guaranteed coaster. If

new software doesn't help, and the system has a

small amount of memory, you might try upgrading

that.

Hope this helps.

02-07-2002, 06:58 PM
We've got Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4. You can keep the cd open and add to it for compilations, but it's tricky. We have a 40 gig hard drive, so we just made compilations from there. It worked great for a few months, but now it wants to skip every time you move the mouse pointer, scroll with the mouse, or when the screen saver kicks on. My wife downloaded a freebie (realjukebox) off the web, and presto, everything skips like crazy now. Data CD's still work fine, however.

02-07-2002, 07:16 PM
KJS,

I just purchased an internal CD-RW from Micro Center for $129. It came with a stripped down version of Roxio Eash CD Creator.

My PC is a cheap 600 MHZ Celeron with a 40x CD-ROM drive, and the rerwritable is a LG 24x10x40. I put the CD I want to copy in the CD-ROM drive and a CD-R in the CD-RW drive. Start the software and I have a perfect copy in about 8 minutes.

Be careful when you buy the CD-R disks. I would get errors using the Memorex Cool Colors. Then I purchased a 30 pack of SONY 24x disks and have had perfect copies. I usually copy my rare CDs so I can play them in the car and don't have to worry about them getting stolen.

Good Luck

Mark

02-08-2002, 04:50 AM
I just got my CD burner and it came with Nero. Straight copies of CDs are easy but compiliations take a bit more thought. I use MusicMatch for burning CDs from MP3 files and that works fine for that. I'm not sure how to make a CD where some tracks are from MP3s and some are copies from CDs. So far I only made one coaster and that was probably because I had about ten open windows.

I have a question about labels. I bought the CD Stomper kit and spare labels and cover inserts and it works great. When my brother found out (he has about 5,000,000 CDs and a stand alone CD burner) he was horrified. He says the glue on the labels will eat away the CDs and you should only label on the inside (near the hole) with a special pen. Is he right or is this some sort of sonic/urban legend?

Regards,

Rick

02-08-2002, 05:28 AM
Rick,

Try using Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum. Go to www.roxio.com (http://www.roxio.com) to check out the features. Then go to www.bizrate.com (http://www.bizrate.com) and have them search for free. You should be able to get it for $79 including shipping (if you buy it directly from Roxio it will cost you $99.

I don't know about the glue or adhesives on the labels, but my Sony manual states not to use them on my CD player. I just use a permament Sharpie marker and make an insert for the slim jewel cases.

Good Luck

Mark

02-11-2002, 11:03 PM
NEW YORK (February 12) - Two court cases filed by the families of American victims of terror against the PLO, the Palestinian Authority, and PA Chairman Yasser Arafat are one step closer to trial, thanks to the PLO's refusal to defend itself, the families' lawyer said yesterday.

According to attorney David Strachman, defaults have been entered against the attorneys for the PA and PLO by the District of Columbia Federal Court, where the cases were filed. Representing the PLO in both cases is former attorney-general Ramsey Clark