PDA

View Full Version : king high flush in tournament

betgo
10-02-2005, 01:27 PM
$20 PLO MTT on Paradise, 18 players left, 10 places pay, blinds 100/200. I am in 11th place.

UTG with T14.6K limps, 2nd position with T14.6K limps. I limp in 4th position with KcQcJc9s and T7.8K. I thought about raising pot. Should I have? SB with T8.7K completes and BB with T8.6K checks.

Flop is 8c7c6s. Checked to 2nd position, who bets 400. Everyone calls.

Turn is 2c, giving me a king high flush. Passed to me. I bet pot, 3000. SB calls, everyone else folds.

River is 5d. SB checks. I bet 2200. SB raises 2000 more to 4200, putting me allin. I call.

SB had AcKsTc7d for nut flush.

Should I have checked behind on the river? When SB checked, I assumed my second nuts were good. I was suprised he slow played like this. Should SB have raised to turn or bet the river? Did he have a read that I had a high flush from my turn bet? Maybe he figured I had either a high flush or was bluffing and could extract more playing passively. It seemed like maybe he was overdoing slowplaying the nuts. Was my turn bet of pot correct? I didn't want to make it easy for anyone to draw for a boat.

I realize this a big hand running into a bigger hand, so maybe there isn't a lot I can do. I would be interested in comments on my or villain's play.

The money here is reasonably deep, so I think I'll get better comments here than in the MTT forum.

Felix_Nietsche
10-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Since pots can get big very fast in PLO.....I imagine the casualty rates for tournaments is outrageous. Is this premise correct?

If so, do they start with VERY low blinds so that the tourney doesn't end the first hour? Do the blinds go slower?

betgo
10-02-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since pots can get big very fast in PLO.....I imagine the casualty rates for tournaments is outrageous. Is this premise correct?

If so, do they start with VERY low blinds so that the tourney doesn't end the first hour?

[/ QUOTE ]

The blinds are the same as for holdem. In this tournament more than 3/4 of the field was eliminated in the first hour, partly due to Paradise's fast structure.

There are some big hands where 2 people have big pairs or double suited rundowns preflop, or top set versus strong draw on the flop. However, there are a lot of loose fish limping and calling too much, which contributes to big pots.

Notice here we are close to the bubble, but we have fairly small blinds and deep money.

Felix_Nietsche
10-02-2005, 03:34 PM
I just got thru watching a PLO tourney $50 entry and I was amazed.
The final table seemed like a huge luck-fest. The guy that took 2nd did not know how to use a fold button. The blinds were big but......wow! This was definately different from a Texas HE Tourney. I know you need skill to win at PLO (cash games) but in Tourneys, when the blinds were big, this game had no more skill than flipping coins.

betgo
10-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Usually later on in a reasonably high buyin with the blinds pretty big, it becomes a blind stealing game like PL/NL/limit holdem tournaments. Someone will put in a raise. This will either take the blinds, be called, or get reraised. If the money is shallow enough, the original raiser won't be able to fold to a reraise.

I have played the $50-$200 tournaments on Stars. Until late it is hard to get anyone to fold to a raise. A lot of times someone will limp in with junk and call my raise. They will make some 2-pair and all the money will go in on the flop versus my overpair and high flush draw.

The PLO/8 tournaments get really silly in that people will limp in and cold call two pot sized raises. Since strong hands are close in value, they don't lose that much playing that way. If you raise, you often wind up just in a close gamble for all your chips.