PDA

View Full Version : Make the call?

10-02-2005, 12:39 PM
I was only trying to steal the blinds by raising pre-flop. Do I call and take my chances? Villian was a smart player and went onto win the SNG.
Villian bet to put me all-in on the turn.
If I call and don't hit, I'm out of course. If I fold I've crippled myself getting near the final table and big blinds.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 (t8455)
MP1 (t5)
MP2 (t3320)
Hero (t2740)
Button (t9755)
SB (t2680)
BB :#A500AF(Villian)/ (t3325)
UTG (t3650)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB :#A500AF(Villian)/ calls t150.

Flop: (t675) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villian checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villian raises to t1200</font>, Hero calls t1050.

Turn: (t3075) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t3075

TheBlueMonster
10-02-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (t675) T, 9, Q (2 players)
Villian checks, Hero bets t150, Villian raises to t1200, Hero calls t1050.

[/ QUOTE ]
horrible. You really screwed yourself with this call.

nuclear500
10-02-2005, 12:44 PM
You bet a quarter of the pot after raising preflop. Very very weak.

The preflop raise on the button was okay.

The call of his push after your weak bet? Extremely weak. You are calling in hopes of hitting a Jack for what might be the ass end of a straight. I can see villian calling your preflop raise with QJ, Q9, QT, KJ, KQ.

1. Fine preflop raise, maybe too small.
2. Weak flop bet.
3. Extremely bad call of his specifically sized bet to put you all in.

TheBlueMonster
10-02-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Fine preflop raise, maybe too small.

[/ QUOTE ]
wayyyy too small.

And the post flop play was just horrific.

10-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Please, don't be gentle or hide your criticism. lol /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Naw, I knew it at the time too. I was just thinking more of getting through to the final table than concentrating on making the right call on the current hand. Other than folding post flop after I couldn't steal the blinds - should I have pushed to represent a hand?

TheBlueMonster
10-02-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
was just thinking more of getting through to the final table than concentrating on making the right call on the current hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
no offense, but that is dumb. And the reason that you're not gonna win one of these tournies any time soon.
[ QUOTE ]
Other than folding post flop after I couldn't steal the blinds - should I have pushed to represent a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're gonna get called by a hand that has you beat. Not worth getting knocked out just to win a 600 chips pot.

SixgunSam
10-02-2005, 02:01 PM
I hate the mini-raise PF. I also don't like the weak bet on the flop. I'm not sure if you play all of your hands you miss by making a minimum bet, but that is an easy betting pattern to pick up on. You have the gutshot and the overcard, check behind next time. If you had no other way to win the hand, then a bet on the flop is fine, but you could have taken a free card with the potential to make a strong hand. Calling away the rest of your stack with a gutshot is a bad play. You had to fold here to the check-raise.

10-02-2005, 02:19 PM
If you want to steal blinds, make it at least 3x the bb (when the blinds get huge, 2.5 will work).

On the flop, you made a minbet, which isn't going to get anyone to fold, and is going to be interpreted as weakness to a good player. Your call is horrible here, what hand could you possibly be ahead of at this point? Even if he is bluffing, he probably has a better bluffing hand than you.

I can't believe you would even consider a call with ace high on this turn, much less that you even got to a turn like you did. This is a horrible hand.

bobbycharles
10-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Egads!
Raise 3-4BB preflop.
Continuation bet of at least 1/2 pot on missed flop.
Muck to the raise.
Keep reading Two Plus Two MTT Forum.