PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Cotton Candy

ChipWrecked
10-02-2005, 10:42 AM
We took the tot to Pixieland, a tiny ones amusement park, yesterday. She had her first cotton candy. And her first insulin shot. Just kidding.

The cotton candy is good, but when it melts it leaves this gob of sticky residue in my mouth. It seems that when I was a kid, cotton candy would melt into a sweet nothingness. That was a big part of its appeal.

Has cotton candy gone cheap, or did it always leave this residue and I'm to senile to remember?

10-02-2005, 10:48 AM
High quality cotton candy has fibers that are far apart. Meaning, there's a lot of air in it, making it cottony in the process. Low quality cotton candy has fibers that are very close together. Meaning, there's very little air but there's a lot of sugar. Low quality cotton candy leaves residue but high quality cotton candy doesn't, just sweet nothingness. The cotton candy at Wal-Mart leaves a lot of sticky residue.

ChipWrecked
10-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks. Cheap bastards, I knew it.

'Cheap bastards' is my answer for a lot of things, lately. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

10-02-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
High quality cotton candy has fibers that are far apart. Meaning, there's a lot of air in it, making it cottony in the process. Low quality cotton candy has fibers that are very close together. Meaning, there's very little air but there's a lot of sugar. Low quality cotton candy leaves residue but high quality cotton candy doesn't, just sweet nothingness. The cotton candy at Wal-Mart leaves a lot of sticky residue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh yes....the science of cotton candy.

gorie
10-02-2005, 10:54 AM
i think it might also depends on how you suck it, and the amount you put in your mouth.
cuz i know sometimes i'd intentionally try to get big gooey clumps in my mouth cuz it was fun.

... enjoy.

ChipWrecked
10-02-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think it might also depends on how you suck it, and the amount you put in your mouth.
cuz i know sometimes i'd intentionally try to get big gooey clumps in my mouth cuz it was fun.

... enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody? Anybody?

(hung this curve on purpose, didn't you /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

10-02-2005, 11:02 AM
If you eat big chunks of cotton candy you would naturally be maximizing the amount of your cotton candy fibers intake, resulting in more gooey residue (the air to fiber ratio would shrink in proportion to how much we put in our mouths at one time). But if a little kid did the same I don't think he would reach the minimum critical mass in which gooey mass would result. His mouth would be too small. This is true even if he is eating low quality cotton candy. He just wouldn't be able to put enough volume in. This explains why when we were kids we wound up with sweet nothings after the melt even though we thought we stuffed our mouths to the limit. Now that we are adults we get disappointed.

10-02-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

... enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone should tell Gorie this thread is about cotton candy /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ChipWrecked
10-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Kinda feel bad for Mushu, 'cause I appreciate his straight answer, because it was a legit question.

But you have to tread lightly around gorie, she will pwn your sorry ass w/o you even knowing it.

gorie
10-02-2005, 11:52 AM
i was giving a straight answer too /images/graemlins/frown.gif

10-02-2005, 11:55 AM
How straight? How long?

gorie
10-02-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How straight? How long?

[/ QUOTE ]
does this also affect the fiber to air ratio ?

10-02-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
atio

[/ QUOTE ]

10-02-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How straight? How long?

[/ QUOTE ]
does this also affect the fiber to air ratio ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is more along the lines of displacement.

ChipWrecked
10-02-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How straight? How long?

[/ QUOTE ]

There ya go. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

gorie
10-02-2005, 12:03 PM
you guys are weird.

btw, was it pink or blue ?

ChipWrecked
10-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Blue.

(my apologies if that bit of humor was unintentional. But you know better than to include the word 'suck' in a post around here /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

meleader2
10-02-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We took the tot to Pixieland, a tiny ones amusement park, yesterday. She had her first cotton candy. And her first insulin shot. Just kidding.

The cotton candy is good, but when it melts it leaves this gob of sticky residue in my mouth. It seems that when I was a kid, cotton candy would melt into a sweet nothingness. That was a big part of its appeal.

Has cotton candy gone cheap, or did it always leave this residue and I'm to senile to remember?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it has something to do with the heat as well when made in the cotton candy bin. my high school job was at a movie theatre and the heat was not hot enough so it made the fibers all compact. i'm not completely positive though

gorie
10-02-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Blue.

(my apologies if that bit of humor was unintentional. But you know better than to include the word 'suck' in a post around here /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]
i wrote it as a serious response, then i realized how it sounded which is why i added "... enjoy" at the end, because i know you're all pervs /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

i just want to be taken seriously around here, i have really important things to say.

ChipWrecked
10-02-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blue.

[/ QUOTE ]
i wrote it as a serious response, then i realized how it sounded which is why i added "... enjoy" at the end, because i know you're all pervs /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

i just want to be taken seriously around here, i have really important things to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you weren't so sly it would be easier to know when you're being serious. I mean that as a compliment. Subtle humor is pretty much wasted here.

MrTrik
10-02-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any serious thoughts on Gummy Bears? How about the knockoffs?

gorie
10-02-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any serious thoughts on Gummy Bears? How about the knockoffs?

[/ QUOTE ]

i like gummy bears. i like how they get transparent after putting them in your mouth. so i usually lick around their head to make it shiny before i shove the whole thing in my mouth and suck on it awhile. not sure about the knockoffs, maybe i haven't had those. i prefer gummy worms, anyway. i usually suck on gummy worms really hard and pull it back out of my mouth repeatedly (to feel the ribbed edge over my lips) until it starts to dissolve and break off in my mouth. i eat candy weird.

ChipWrecked
10-02-2005, 04:33 PM
My wife likes the Target brand gummies better than the original. Not sure if they're dogs or horses or what. Bigger pieces than gummy bears.