PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Mail! - Are you f'n kidding me?

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 06:01 AM
So I email that link of the rabbit humping the cat to my girlfriend from my Yahoo account, hit send, and a "character string verification" pops up - you know, like the ones when you sign up for an email or buy tickets from Ticketmaster. Of course the characters are all f'd up, and I thought the "e" was an "o" and it took me two tries to send the email.

So now you apparently have to do one of these EVERY TIME you send a Yahoo email. I did a couple experiments - with and without links, with and without subjects, even replying to an email from my inbox, and I had to do one of these for each email sent "to help fight spam."

I can't believe how stupid this is. Guess it's finally time to send out that "please use my gmail address for all further correspondence" email.

F'n Yahoo.

Piiop
10-02-2005, 06:04 AM
It doesn't make me do this.

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 06:05 AM
Have you sent an email today? This just started literally 10 minutes ago - it's made me do it for every email since.

Piiop
10-02-2005, 06:06 AM
Yeah, I just tried one after reading your post.

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 06:11 AM
Well then, apparently Yahoo just hates me:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7679/untitled9md.jpg

private joker
10-02-2005, 06:12 AM
Why does anyone use Yahoo mail? Gmail and even Hotmail are way superior. So is Thunderbird. Yahoo Mail sucks.

ghostface
10-02-2005, 06:13 AM
What is Yahoo?

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 06:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why does anyone use Yahoo mail? Gmail and even Hotmail are way superior. So is Thunderbird. Yahoo Mail sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew this question was coming, and I have a simple answer: laziness.

I never understood why everyone says it sucks - it always sends and receives emails flawlessly and I can access it from anywhere - so what more do I need? Anyway, I have a gmail account, but everyone and everything has always been linked to my Yahoo account. It did the trick, so I had no reason to change. Now I have a reason, and will put forth the effort to switch everything over.

frostbrn
10-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Yes, Yahoo hates you. I just sent a few yahoo emails and no character verification for any of them

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 07:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, Yahoo hates you. I just sent a few yahoo emails and no character verification for any of them

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Evan
10-02-2005, 08:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well then, apparently Yahoo just hates me:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7679/untitled9md.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
What is that second character? My keyboard doesn't have a backwards K.

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 08:15 AM
a "y" i guess? i don't know, i didn't send that email.

Evan
10-02-2005, 08:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I would have typed a K anyway. Good thing I don't use Yahoo Mail.

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 08:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I would have typed a K anyway. Good thing I don't use Yahoo Mail.

[/ QUOTE ]

me neither, as of today.

Inthacup
10-02-2005, 08:48 AM
It usually happens to me when I have a clickable URL in an email.

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It usually happens to me when I have a clickable URL in an email.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought at first, because my original email did. But then every subsequent email did it too, regardless of content. Maybe it's a glitch, because it really doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

STLantny
10-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Hotmail makes you randomly do it, to verify you arent a bot type program. Use hushmail

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 10:01 AM
the more i drink, the harder these get:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2645/wealsuvzfemxfusxyq4n9gbbjvykjs.jpg

jakethebake
10-02-2005, 10:03 AM
It's probably just you. Someone complained to Yahoo about you sending them drunk e-mails. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
the more i drink, the harder these get:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2645/wealsuvzfemxfusxyq4n9gbbjvykjs.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

lucas9000
10-02-2005, 10:19 AM
why aren't you using gmail?

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why aren't you using gmail?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I knew this question was coming, and I have a simple answer: laziness.

I never understood why everyone says it sucks - it always sends and receives emails flawlessly and I can access it from anywhere - so what more do I need? Anyway, I have a gmail account, but everyone and everything has always been linked to my Yahoo account. It did the trick, so I had no reason to change. Now I have a reason, and will put forth the effort to switch everything over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Los Feliz Slim
10-02-2005, 10:34 AM
So much for your pharmaceutical & mortgage business.

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So much for your pharmaceutical & mortgage business.

[/ QUOTE ]

this made me laugh. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BottlesOf
10-02-2005, 12:28 PM
link (http://online.wsj.com/wsjgate?subURI=%2Farticle%2F0%2C%2CSB1127345754818 47994%2Demail%2C00%2Ehtml&nonsubURI=%2Farticle%5Fe mail%2F0%2C%2CSB112734575481847994%2DINjg4Nplad4np 2uZnqIcKeEm4%2C00%2Ehtml)

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
link (http://online.wsj.com/wsjgate?subURI=%2Farticle%2F0%2C%2CSB1127345754818 47994%2Demail%2C00%2Ehtml&nonsubURI=%2Farticle%5Fe mail%2F0%2C%2CSB112734575481847994%2DINjg4Nplad4np 2uZnqIcKeEm4%2C00%2Ehtml)

[/ QUOTE ]

bah - subscription required.

theben
10-02-2005, 12:49 PM
bah

BottlesOf
10-02-2005, 12:54 PM
looks like you need www.bugmenot.com (http://www.bugmenot.com)

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
looks like you need www.bugmenot.com (http://www.bugmenot.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

already tried that, it didn't have a login for wsj.com.

wanna just give me the cliff's notes of the article?

BottlesOf
10-02-2005, 01:03 PM
sorry /images/graemlins/frown.gif

It basically talks about how yahoo mail is superior to gmail and aol mail (maybe hotmail mentioned too, can't remember.

I don't use it so I can't confirm but it does get into specifics.

El Barto
10-02-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is Yahoo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yahoo is a word made up by Jonathan Swift for his book [i]Gulliver's Travels

jakethebake
10-02-2005, 01:09 PM
I've been getting these occasionally for awhile now. I just sent an e-mail and didn't have to enter the code.

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It basically talks about how yahoo mail is superior to gmail and aol mail (maybe hotmail mentioned too, can't remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh. yeah, i asked the question twice now, and nobody will answer me why gmail is so much better than yahoo (email verification notwithstanding). i have both, and i can think of no reason besides "cuz everyone uses gmail now, DUH!"

Brain
10-02-2005, 02:03 PM
I've gotten it twice before. Not a big deal unless you get a really hard letter sequence. I can see how it would get annoying after every email though.

Good thing Outlook doesn't have this feature. I'd have to actually do work at work then.

JonPKibble
10-02-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh. yeah, i asked the question twice now, and nobody will answer me why gmail is so much better than yahoo (email verification notwithstanding). i have both, and i can think of no reason besides "cuz everyone uses gmail now, DUH!"

[/ QUOTE ]

1. No alphanumeric verification required
2. NO BANNER ADS!!!
3. Over 2 gigs of storage

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. No alphanumeric verification required
2. NO BANNER ADS!!!
3. Over 2 gigs of storage

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I said verification notwithstanding! This is new to me, as of today, and the reason I am switching.
2. Yahoo has banner ads?
4. I currently have 1.0% of 1.0GB storage used. What the hell do you keep in your email account?

*Edit* I just noticed I went 1,2,4 but f it.

BottlesOf
10-02-2005, 02:45 PM
They do have ads. Google spiders your email and serves contextually relevant ads, usually in the form of ad sense.

[ QUOTE ]
About Ads & Related Information

Want to know more about the ads and related pages delivered by Gmail? Glad you asked!

Ads in Gmail are placed in the same way that ads are placed alongside Google search results and, through the Google AdSense program, on content pages across the web. The goal is to provide users with helpful ads, links and content relevant to their specific interests.

Gmail is a technology-based program. Advertising and related information are shown using a completely automated process. Ads are selected for relevance and served by Google computers using the same contextual advertising technology that powers our AdSense program. This technology enables Google to target dynamically changing content such as email or daily news stories.

No humans will read the content of your email in order to target such advertisements or related information. Because the ads and related pages are matched to information that is of interest to you, we hope you'll find them relevant and useful.

Your Privacy

Google does not and will never rent, sell or share information that personally identifies you for marketing purposes without your express permission. No email content or other personally identifiable information will be provided to advertisers.

Privacy is an issue we take very seriously. Only ads classified as Family-Safe are distributed through our content network and to your Gmail inbox. For example, Google would block certain ads from running next to an email about catastrophic news.

If you'd like to know more about how Google handles your Gmail information, please read our Gmail Privacy Policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slow Play Ray
10-02-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They do have ads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see now. Guess I just never noticed/thought about it; they don't get in the way or anything.

Unfortunately, I can't "officially" switch to gmail until I get back from this business trip.