PDA

View Full Version : Going back to basics? Two AA hands.

Baseballer02
10-02-2005, 01:11 AM
Back-to-back aces on a table, both with tough decisions to make(at least for myself in the middle of a downswing). Table is loose-passive preflop and aggresssive postflop.

Hand 1: Flop raise does nothing but pad the pot for all the potential draws. Wait for the safe turn card to raise, right?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

River: (12.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB

Hand 2:
Something tells me I should have slowed down on the turn. But my thought that was as big as the pot was and with the texture of the board, it was an easy raise for a made straight, as getting calls is almost guaranteed on this flop. When villain wakes up no the turn, I put him on two pair, as that's the only hand I can think of that would have evolved from that nine(other than an unlikely 78). Check/call this river or is this a value bet when thinking I'm up against two pair?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (14.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB

mantasm
10-02-2005, 01:47 AM
I'd raise the flop in hand 1. Why not.

Hand 2: Don't slow down on the turn. My guess would be two pair or a slowplayed set too. I think the river is a bet call.

Baseballer02
10-02-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise the flop in hand 1. Why not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if people are going to call with their drawing hands, i want them to do so unprofitably. What I realize now though, is that had SB been the one to bet the turn, a turn raise by me would have still given everyone the odds to continure drawing.

Dagger78
10-02-2005, 02:21 AM
You're seeing monsters in the closet, I wouldn't give the turn bettor credit for anything more than a pair.

[ QUOTE ]

Because if people are going to call with their drawing hands, i want them to do so unprofitably. What I realize now though, is that had SB been the one to bet the turn, a turn raise by me would have still given everyone the odds to continure drawing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're unable to protect your hand with a raise and don't expect to be able do so on the turn. Therefore since you cannot protect you're hand, raise for value.