PDA

View Full Version : Slim River Value Bets

queenhigh
10-01-2005, 08:23 PM
AZK's post about river value bets and bluffs made me think. I'm more or less an average winning player, but I think I make more on the river with marginal value bets than most. So, either the style of play necessary to squeeze more value out of the river means sacraficing money elsewhere, or I just suck at other things.

One thing I'm thinking is that a lot of the time you get someone to check-call you're river bet with an even weaker hand than your marginal one is that you checked the turn. So I might just be trading free cards on the turn for more action on the river.

This is a pretty typical line for me against an average or unkown (and, apparently, on the passive side) player.

Shorthanded, I raise in the CO w/ K9, fold to the BB who calls. Flop comes A94r. He checks, I bet, he calls. Turn is a duece. Check, check. River is a six, he checks, I bet three-quarters pot and get called by J9 or 88 or something. Obviously, if you bet the turn, j9 folds, so you can't make that river bet, so I traded a potentially bad river card for value when the river card is a blank.

The drawbacks of this line are getting check-called on the river by a weak ace or facing a river bet from your opponent who could be bluffing or have caught something on the river or who had wiffed on a turn check raise.

I don't know. Any thoughts?