PDA

View Full Version : zuluking gets his Black Belt in Karate (long but I need to type this)

zuluking
10-01-2005, 08:12 PM
The test began last night with the 1-mile run. I had 8 minutes and did it in 7:45. This was followed by push ups and sit ups. 50 each in a minute each. No problem. Then was stand-up self defense. Grabs, chokes, take downs, etc. Smooth sailing for me.

Then came grappling, or Ju-Jitsu to some people. I breezed through the positions of advantage and their submissions, but then came my moment to grapple Sensei David, a 2nd degree black belt. We had 2-3 minute rounds. He basically gave me a butt kicking on the ground. But I survived, even holding my own at times and we moved on to sparring.

3-2 minute rounds, full contact. My first opponent was Sensi Pablo, a 3rd degree black belt. We were about 30-45 seconds into the round, and I was holding my own, if you call getting kicked in the stomach a few times holding your own. But I did manage to get a few strikes in, until "the kick".

My hands were already starting to feel heavy from the 16 ounce gloves and I dropped my left hand just a bit. WHAM! He caught me with a roundhouse kick to the temple sending me to the floor out cold. I don't know how long I was out, but the next thing I know my Shihan (Master) is asking me where I was, my name, etc. I somehow convinced him I was okay (I wasn't) and the round continued.

The whole dojo was a whrilling, spinning, blurry mess. Sensei Pablo knocked me around and down to the mat 3 more times before the round ended. I had 1 minute to recover and get my head straight for round 2.

Sempi Sebastian a 2nd degree Black Belt. This time I was up against speed, not power. My head was still spinning, but I managed to smack or kick him 1-2 times for every 10 he hit me. The round ended and I almost threw up (really). 1 more minute to recover and the final round.

Sensei Robert a 2nd degree Black Belt. A big, brusing, hulk of a man. I'm 6'1", 225, he easily outweighs me by 40 pounds standing 6 feet tall. I don't remember much of round 3, I did manage a few well placed side kicks and knee strikes on Sensei Robert, but of course, I hit the mat 3 or 4 times as he smacked me around.

The round ended, the Black Belts cheered for me, and a doctor came over to check me out. He said I probably had a mild concussion (mild?!?!) and I told him I didn't care. Sparring in a Black Belt test is more about character, not quitting, not saying "I give" more than anything else, and I didn't quit.

This morning was the 2 hour written test and I nailed it, only missing 2 questions. Then came Katas, which I aced. Techniques followed, and I aced those too. Then came falls and rolls, board breaking, and the test was over.

During board breaking I tore some tendions in my elbow, but at the point I didn't care, and its nothing a sling and some bourbon can't take care of.

I'll recieve my belt Wednesday night. Thanks for listening.

newfant
10-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Newfant congratulates you.

gunt
10-01-2005, 08:14 PM
congrats!

captZEEbo1
10-01-2005, 08:17 PM
I don't really understand how you can get a black belt and get raped by people in the tests?

10-01-2005, 08:18 PM
I hope you wear your uniform and black belt while going about your daily business downtown and such. If you dont, it seems a bit like a waste.

New001
10-01-2005, 08:19 PM
My black belt tests were probably the hardest things I've ever done in my life. Congrats.

edfurlong
10-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Kind of like how you can graduate from college without being smarter than your professors.

zuluking
10-01-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand how you can get a black belt and get raped by people in the tests?

[/ QUOTE ]

The sparring part of the test is designed for you to fail. They are 2nd and 3rd degree Black Belts who are fresh. I'd already been working out for 2 hours by the time sparring came around. Its a test of character and survival, plus a rite of passage.

SmileyEH
10-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Congrats dude.

-SmileyEH

mikeyvegas
10-01-2005, 08:28 PM
No mercy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/paolo12/nosensei.jpg

STLantny
10-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Congrats guy. I also second the notion you wear your uniform to complete every day tasks. I can see it now boss: "Excuse me, did you get the memo that was sent out yesterday"....you respond by totally flipping out.

Stuey
10-01-2005, 08:30 PM
I had no idea it was that hard. You would have had my respect even before I knew how hard it really is. Now I don't even know what to say.

Wtg be proud you earned it and fighting through the injuries before and during is really impressive.

A_C_Slater
10-01-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Okay, lose opponent, must not lose fear!"-- Mr. Miyagi

ddubois
10-01-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The sparring part of the test is designed for you to fail. They are 2nd and 3rd degree Black Belts who are fresh. I'd already been working out for 2 hours by the time sparring came around. Its a test of character and survival, plus a rite of passage.

[/ QUOTE ]
This sounds incredibly stupid. Like fraternity hazing [censored]-a-sheep stupid.

nicky g
10-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Congrats. Your karate sounds a lot less stupid than most karate.

Stuey
10-01-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The sparring part of the test is designed for you to fail. They are 2nd and 3rd degree Black Belts who are fresh. I'd already been working out for 2 hours by the time sparring came around. It’s a test of character and survival, plus a rite of passage.

[/ QUOTE ]
This sounds incredibly stupid. Like fraternity hazing [censored]-a-sheep stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of things that are challenging and give you a sense of accomplishment look stupid to the people not involved. I got 5 concussions in one year of hockey and played through it. Dumbest thing I ever did. I was never more happy even though we lost in the finals.

Mountain climbing, marathon running, and anything that is really hard will appear not worth the sacrifice to people not trying to reach the goal. The person that reaches these goals however takes a confidence away from the experience that makes the real everyday problems we all need to face seem like child’s play.

Zoelef
10-01-2005, 08:53 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/Zoelef/throwawaybelt2x.jpg

SCfuji
10-01-2005, 09:07 PM
way to go zulu. i can tell you right now i would quit during the 2nd round. that sounded brutal.

BobboFitos
10-01-2005, 09:08 PM
neat story

mslif
10-01-2005, 09:12 PM
That's an incredible test of mental and physical strenght. Congratulations! What an amazing story. Hope you feel physically better though, sounds like you got beaten pretty bad.

zuluking
10-01-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's an incredible test of mental and physical strenght. Congratulations! What an amazing story. Hope you feel physically better though, sounds like you got beaten pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm having my first, of many, bourbons tonight to deaden the pain/soreness. First time I've drank in 3 months. What a buzz!

mslif
10-01-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm having my first, of many, bourbons tonight to deaden the pain/soreness. First time I've drank in 3 months. What a buzz!

[/ QUOTE ]

You deserve it. Next one is on me /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Blarg
10-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Congrats, and well done. You'll carry that accomplishment with you for the rest of your life, and no one can ever take it from you, even when you're old and long past your fighting days. It won't make you better than anyone, but it will remind you of your best self and how good that can be.

I dunno, though, about some of that testing -- a roundhouse kick to the temple could kill you or hurt you pretty bad. Not sure how much I like the idea of instructors doing that sort of thing, or continuing fighting more rounds after a knock-out. That seems pretty irresponsible.

joeski19
10-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Now you can learn all the secert ninga moves banned by the government.

JK Congrats man that rocks.

radek2166
10-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Congrats bro!!!!!!!!!

jakethebake
10-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Well done, sir. In what style do you train?

Benal
10-01-2005, 11:25 PM
So what's it take to become 2nd and 3rd degree?

LoaferGee12
10-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Were you the one that posted about wanting to bang your sensei?

Lazymeatball
10-01-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Were you the one that posted about bangin your sensee?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he wanted to bang his sensei, so any follow up on that, or did you settle for bangin sensei Robert?

Also, how's that ankle, completely healed?

Analyst
10-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Congrats on a great accomplishment! One question though - no headgear? Or was his kick hard enough to take you down even with the headgear?

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
secert ninga moves

[/ QUOTE ]

Lawrence Ng
10-02-2005, 03:35 AM
Well done!!!!!

Lawrence

Martin
10-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Well Done!!

zuluking
10-02-2005, 11:32 AM
The style is American Shotokan.

I had headgear on and still got knocked out. Sensei Pablo competes as a pro.

The Sensei I posted the pic of a few months ago was one of my judges, she didn't get to kick my butt.

The ankle was just well enough to take the test, although now its swollen up like a grapefruit.

2nd degree will take another 3 years. You must learn several Black Belt Katas as well as improve on everything you know already.

malo
10-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Congrats Zulu.....remember your post about the injured ankle and your concern about taking the test. Glad to see you succeeded!

Now take care of yourself....bourbon....ice....bourbon.. /images/graemlins/grin.gif