PDA

View Full Version : Do you raise this river $5 + 1

10-01-2005, 05:50 PM
I really felt like Villian is weak here and a pot sized raise would blow him off the hand. Is it worth it to give it a try, or is calling and watching him turn over something like A8 worth it.

Table Table 12481 (Real Money) -- Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 1: govs1 (745)
Seat 2: CHAMP68 (690)
Seat 5: Hero (800)
Seat 6: Wit415 (760)
Seat 7: popNchips (725)
Seat 8: amb55 (2150)
Seat 9: bogey_3_putt (950)
Seat 10: cap_the_flop (1180)
CHAMP68 posts small blind (10)
Hero posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 6s, 6h ]
Wit415 folds.
popNchips folds.
amb55 folds.
bogey_3_putt folds.
cap_the_flop folds.
govs1 folds.
CHAMP68 raises (20) to 30
Hero calls (15)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Th, 9s, 4c ]
CHAMP68 bets (15)
Hero raises (90) to 90
CHAMP68 calls (75)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ Qs ]
CHAMP68 checks.
Hero checks.
** Dealing River ** : [ 8d ]
CHAMP68 bets (15)
Hero?

10-01-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really felt like Villian is weak here and a pot sized raise would blow him off the hand. Is it worth it to give it a try, or is calling and watching him turn over something like A8 worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think he is weak and will fold to a pot size raise, do it. Trust yourself. That said, I disagree that he is weak at this point.

[ QUOTE ]
Dealt to Hero [ 6s, 6h ]
Wit415 folds.
popNchips folds.
amb55 folds.
bogey_3_putt folds.
cap_the_flop folds.
govs1 folds.
CHAMP68 raises (20) to 30
Hero calls (15)

[/ QUOTE ]
Folded around to the small blind and he minraises. This is either a weak attempt at a steal (very likely at a 6) or an attempted trap with a big hand. I would reraise preflop to around 75 here. If he is stealing he will give it up, but on the few times he has a big hand, villian will come back over the top and you can lay it down. If he has the balls to reraise on a steal at a 6, good for him, but you still have to fold.
[ QUOTE ]
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Th, 9s, 4c ]
CHAMP68 bets (15)
Hero raises (90) to 90
CHAMP68 calls (75)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ Qs ]
CHAMP68 checks.
Hero checks.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you had reraised preflop and he called, he will likely check to you and your bet will take it down much more often. I like the raise here in your situation, but since he called you have to assume he has at least a draw at this point, and should proceed with caution. When he checks the turn, you need to bet to solidify where you are at in the hand. If he made a hand better than yours by now, he will raise you, and you can fold. If he just calls, he is probably still drawing and you made him pay to do it, good job.
[ QUOTE ]
** Dealing River ** : [ 8d ]
CHAMP68 bets (15)
Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]
On the river, he min bet. At this point any straight draw he could've had has gotten there, or made a pair larger than yours. If he wasn't drawing you were beat the whole time. If you really believe he will fold to a pot size raise you can make one, but I would lean to a crying call here, because its just too big of a pot for me to lay down at a 6. I think the min bet could be representing weakness to entice you to raise his strong hand. This is why I am leary of raising the river. You can raise, but must be sure that if he comes back at you again to FOLD, even though you just put a large portion of your stack into this pot.

10-01-2005, 06:13 PM
I raise your stakes to $10 + $1.

sng-sam
10-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Hero: smooth calls and watches villan turn over A-10 suited. He checked the turn cause he didn't like the Queen. He min bet the river cause it was slightly less weak than checking his pair of Tens. I am 90% sure of this read (what did he showdown anyway?)

Straight Flushes,

SAM

10-01-2005, 06:33 PM
I made the crying call and he turned over pocket 7's. I'm over 50% sure he would have folded to a raise. This is the part of the game at Party that I'm still feeling out. With 1500 starting chips I would have raised this 10 out of 10 times. Any substantial raise here leaves me crippled if I get called and I know the prevailing wisdom is to save the chips for later.

Uppercut
10-01-2005, 07:09 PM
You missed the flop. Fold your crappy pair.