PDA

View Full Version : Honesty in Advertising

jman220
10-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Guess I'm going to ruffle a few feathers here, but I have a few suggestions.
Honesty is the best policy in advertising.

1. The purpose of this forum is to make money for the people who purchased it. To the people who purchased it, you need to be honest about that fact and stop trying to hide the ball as to why you are not allowing discussion about specific percentages. I think you'd get a lot more respect from the posters here, myself included, if you just came right out and said that the reason for this ban was because you didn't pay for this forum to allow your competitors to adverise here, rather than trying to hide behind a spurious argument about allowing the release of percentages somehow contributing to the downfall of online rakeback. And responding to sound logican and economic critiques of this argument with "Yeah thats true, but we have information you don't know about" is silly. I have no problem with a commercial forum trying to make money by not allowing discussion of its competitors rates, which may very well be better than your rates, but you need to be honest about why your policy is here, and we will respect you for it.

2. With Regards to Empire Poker and rakeback. Come on. We all know that technically, empire poker does not allow it, and we know that you and your sub-affiliates are doing it anyway. And I for one am fine with that, as I'm sure are the vast majority of 2+2'ers who recieve rakeback on Empire. But evasively answering Lorinda's questions and trying to argue that what you are doing is A OK with empire even though it is clearly against their Terms of Services is also silly, just be honest with us and we'll respect you for it. I'm not going to stop getting Empire Rakeback from my affiliate just because I know that Empire doesn't approve, and I seriously doubt any potential customers will be turned off by this either. But what they might be turned off by is the evasive answers, the spurious arguments, and the claims of "We have information you don't, but we won't share it with you."

3. Claiming that XYZ company cannot survive on a 1% profit margin. I am not an affiliate, I only recieve rakeback, I do not work for one, but just as I don't have complete information about the inner economic workings of these rakeback companies, neither do you. And you cannot say that XYZ company cannot survive on a 1 percent profit margin because you are not XYZ company. There are plenty of arguments to be made that XYZ company could, and even if it could not because of the costs of advertising, etc..., if it was about to go belly up, there is no reason why it could not just simply cease all business activities, but continue to pay out its affiliates and take its 1 percent, without signing up any new customers, advertising, etc. This is a low overhead business.

I have no problem with the policies you set up for this board, I hope it survives, although I have my doubts, but I really think we need to all be honest here about the reasons for those policies.

TheMetetron
10-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Just a quick point.

#1 is not because they don't want people to discuss competitors (at least that's not the main reason). Morgant touched on the main reason, which is that, honestly, rakeback providers don't want their players realizing how much the affiliates get. Percentages have gone way down, and those who have been affiliates for a long time are locked in at some pretty big %.

Of course, these are also the ones who have huge advertising budgets, can afford this forum, etc because of the huge amount of revenue they are pulling in. Most small guys offering you 25% are operating on a 1-5% profit margin at best. The big dogs, they are running on 10%+ (I really don't know the exact % they get), and they obviously like doing this without canabalizing each other. The business really already is competitive enough (and they spend much of their revenue on ads).

FWIW, I respect their decision not to allow % talks and it's probably a good idea. Ask a friend in private if you are really so concerned.

rusty JEDI
10-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Just want to say I appreciate the postings made by jjman220, deathvalley, and lorinda.

rJ

Inthacup
10-01-2005, 08:39 PM
jman, please keep in mind that this forum has been active for less than a day. it is going to take a little time to get all of our plans straightened out. Over the next few weeks, I think you will see a vast change in the approach of the forum as well as the attitude of the moderators.

Knowing this, I think it's easy to see why we would keep our replies on the conservative side.

Cup

timprov
10-01-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Over the next few weeks, I think you will see a vast change in the approach of the forum as well as the attitude of the moderators.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be nice.

I really encourage you guys to go back and read the first few days of the Internet Bonuses forum. At the time, jek had very much the same attitude as you guys seem to, but he quickly came around to the idea that free (non-spam) discussion didn't suck.