PDA

View Full Version : Cooking bacon on a George Foreman grill

DrPublo
10-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Has anyone tried this? I woke up today thinking about bacon and eggs for breakfast, but then thought that I don't really want to deal with the messy frying pan and I can't flip bacon for my life anyway. It seems like the GF grill would be a good alternative, especially if you like bacon on the crispy side instead of the chewy side.

Any words of wisdom before I try this?

The Doc

Brainwalter
10-01-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone tried this? I woke up today thinking about bacon and eggs for breakfast, but then thought that I don't really want to deal with the messy frying pan and I can't flip bacon for my life anyway. It seems like the GF grill would be a good alternative, especially if you like bacon on the crispy side instead of the chewy side.

Any words of wisdom before I try this?

The Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you going to make the eggs without the frying pan? Also is flipping bacon really that difficult?

Get a griddle.

DrPublo
10-01-2005, 11:51 AM
No no, eggs in pan, bacon on GF. Eggs I can do but when I try cooking bacon in a frying pan I always wind up burning myself by splashing hot bacon fat.

The Doc

Cubswin
10-01-2005, 11:51 AM
using the foreman grill creates less of a mess than a frying pan? /images/graemlins/confused.gif if you are truely lazy just nuke everything in the microwave... be warned though... what you gain in speed and less mess you lose in taste.

cubs

TimM
10-01-2005, 01:30 PM
You'll still have to flip it. The Foreman grill won't close enough to cook both sides of bacon. It also can be hard to keep the bacon from slipping out the bottom.

Get one of these (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-6759929-4113737?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B0006B3V68). You can cook the bacon and eggs at the same time, and you can wash it in the sink, unlike the George Foreman. Get plastic tongs to turn the bacon. Do not use anything metal on the non-stick surface.

Bulldog
10-01-2005, 01:42 PM
I pretty much use my Foreman for breakfast only--everything else on the Q. Bacon & home fries on the Foreman, eggs in the frying pan.

Brain
10-01-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No no, eggs in pan, bacon on GF. Eggs I can do but when I try cooking bacon in a frying pan I always wind up burning myself by splashing hot bacon fat.

The Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not trying to flip bacon like an omelette or something that you're sauteeing, right? Get a pair of tongs (http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1349037), man!

Dynasty
10-01-2005, 04:36 PM
I cook bacon in the oven. At 550 degrees, it takes about 16-18 minutes to cook. However, the bacon comes out nice and straight rather than crinkling up like it is prone to do in the frying pan. Also, I can have the grease drain into a pan below the back (on a rack) rather than having it soak in it.

Cancer Merchant
10-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Sounds like it would work. Save some of the bacon grease and toss it in with the eggs. Salt + grease = good

edfurlong
10-01-2005, 04:41 PM
I second the oven.

DrPublo
10-01-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not trying to flip bacon like an omelette or something that you're sauteeing, right? Get a pair of tongs (http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1349037), man!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually what I've been doing is using the omelette flipper to push the bacon up the side of the pan, and then using my fingers to pinch one little corner and pull it across the pan so it flips. Burns your fingers quite a bit. Tongs sound like a much better idea.

The Doc