PDA

View Full Version : OT: Value of this forum

durron597
10-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Assume for the moment that you spend some fixed number of hours per day devoted to Poker. You also only spend that time playing SnGs and reading the STT forum.

KingDan
10-01-2005, 10:06 AM
I'd say increases ROI, but any given day while reading the forum you will be cost some $$$/hour as you will be less attention to your table.

Cactus Jack
10-01-2005, 10:07 AM
I voted for increases. I'd say in the past 3 weeks I've devoted to really digging into the forum and trying to apply it has done great things for my game. I appreciate how much people try to help others and how much they succeed. I am very grateful for the help I've received. My results show it, too.

I've spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on poker sites in the past year, (I'm a mod, too), so I feel fairly confident in giving an opinion of which are useful and which are utterly useless. 2+2 is at or near the very top with a flaws from making it number one with a bullet. (The reputation is you have to be a math geek to be here. I'm not. So it's proof that's a falacy and need not be addressed.)

That said, there are improvements to the experience that could be made.

First, those of us who read obscene posts should immediately notify the moderators. This should not be tolerated under any circumstance. One warning and gone, no appeals.

Second, flaming posts need to held in check. Like all fires, they can quickly grow out of control and consume everything. Those who don't participate are the first to flee. The forum is borderline here, imho.

Last, a system to highlight threads which are highest content needs to be put in place. If a mod or participant thinks a thread is far above average and would be useful to the people who come here to learn, then perhaps a special icon could be put on it to note it. Like a Head's Up notification. There is a LOT to get through here and anything which simplifies it for those of us strictly wanting to learn, would help.

Is that what you were asking about?

Best wishes,
CJ

durron597
10-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Actually, Cactus Jack, your post in the other thread was what inspired me to make this thread, when you were reading about all the hours you spend reading this looking for good posts, I'm starting to feel like I'd just make more money playing.

Cactus Jack
10-01-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, Cactus Jack, your post in the other thread was what inspired me to make this thread, when you were reading about all the hours you spend reading this looking for good posts, I'm starting to feel like I'd just make more money playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought as much. I'll let you in on a secret: I read during the first three levels. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I only play one table at a time, right now. I play as hard as I can play, and analyze my results, think about it, study it, then play another. However, until it gets up to and past 50/100, I don't always pay a lot of attention. I get an idea of who I need to keep an eye on with the few hands I'm involved in, but have a lot of time to read the FAQ and subsequent threads. Usually those posts which have a link posted within them are the very best to follow.

You guys multitable. I multitask. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Glad you got some use out of my mumblings. I'm an SNG dumbass. At least someone got something out of me of use here.

CJ