PDA

View Full Version : Boris Will Win the Big One

Tommy Angelo
05-17-2003, 02:18 PM
I was walking through the downstairs poker room at Binion's about a week ago. Hey, there's my buddy Boris. Boris and I have played poker many times and we live in the same town.

Yo Boris, whatsup?

We just got in.

Cool, whatcha playing, a one-table?

Naw, this is a tiered satellite for seats in the big one -- $50 buy in. You win this table, then move on, like a shootout tourny.

I want to invest.

Huh?

I want 10 percent.

(I hand Boris a $5 chip.)

Okay, he says.

Couple days later I run into Boris.

Hey Tommy, I didn't win that satellite that you invested in.

Hey, no problem.

But I did win the one after that. And the one after that. Tough luck buddy. I'm in, but you're out. And hey, since you're going home next week, do you think you could swing by my house and walk my dog everyday?

Hey, no problem.

Seriously, dude, Boris, we're all all the way behind you. Win it.

Tommy

Ulysses
05-17-2003, 10:26 PM
So, winning the $50 gets you a $225 seat, right? And then winning the $225 gets you a $10,000 seat. OK. If that's the case, if he wins the first one, does he owe you $22.50 or does it carry over? Alright, I assume it carries over.

[For the sake of the following questions, let's forget about the value of friendship, doing things for fun, and so forth and just concentrate on the deal.]

Now, he wins the $10,000 seat and ends up winning the big one for $2M. At this point, he owes you $200k. So, is this ever a good deal for Boris? His potential win is capped at $5. Yet you have a chance 40,000x your investment. And if he makes a low money finish ($10k?), you still get $1000 - 200x your investment. So, is this a good deal for you or Boris? Seems like the deal is better than 200 to 1 for you that Boris wins a seat and then makes the money. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

On a related note, is it a better deal for you if Boris is going for a seat in the tourney (which could lead to a payout of 0-200k) or if Boris is playing to win a second seat that he will sell? In the second scenario, you win $1000. I guess the question here is, do you take $1000 or 10% of Boris in the big one?

Tommy Angelo
05-18-2003, 10:50 AM
"if he wins the first one, does he owe you $22.50 or does it carry over? Alright, I assume it carries over."

Right.

"[For the sake of the following questions, let's forget about the value of friendship, doing things for fun, and so forth and just concentrate on the deal.]"

k.

"Now, he wins the $10,000 seat and ends up winning the big one for $2M. At this point, he owes you $200k. So, is this ever a good deal for Boris?"

It is a very good deal for Boris because I am a very generous tipper when I strike gold on dinky investments. I would tip Boris 40K or so.

But let's say I was not allowed to tip.

"His potential win is capped at $5."

Right.

"Yet you have a chance 40,000x your investment."

Right.

"And if he makes a low money finish ($10k?), you still get $1000 - 200x your investment. So, is this a good deal for you or Boris?"

The goodness or badness of the deal for either of us would be exactly even if Boris's expectation was exactly average. To whatever degree his expectation is above or below average, the goodness or badness of the deal is affected. But you knew all that. I think what's boggling your mind, as it did mine, is the idea of turning $5 into 200K while doing nothing. Quite appealing, I must say.

"I guess the question here is, do you take $1000 or 10% of Boris in the big one?"

Anytime I run $5 into $1000, and I can reinvest at the same odds or cash out, I'd cash. Maybe that's why I'll never be rich, and maybe that's why I'll never (hopefully!)be broke.

Tommy

Bob T.
05-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Anytime I run $5 into $1000, and I can reinvest at the same odds or cash out, I'd cash. Maybe that's why I'll never be rich, and maybe that's why I'll never (hopefully!)be broke.

Why not sell half you share of Boris at this point for $500. You could still make another $100K, but you would have a safe $495 in your pocket.

Ed Miller
05-18-2003, 01:18 PM
But you knew all that. I think what's boggling your mind, as it did mine, is the idea of turning $5 into 200K while doing nothing. Quite appealing, I must say.

Not to be a parade rainer, but you can turn $5 into $200K or more doing nothing by playing the Megabucks. Though I think your odds are much better betting on Boris than betting on lining up those three crazy symbols...

BTW, Tommy, if you'd like, you can take a $5 piece of me in tomorrow night's drunken 4-8 romp at the Mandalay Bay. That $5 could turn into as little as $2 or $3 after I straddle for the fifth time and simultaneously hopelessly hit one of the basically bottomless cocktail waitress.

Michael Davis
05-18-2003, 09:38 PM
"BTW, Tommy, if you'd like, you can take a $5 piece of me in tomorrow night's drunken 4-8 romp at the Mandalay Bay. That $5 could turn into as little as $2 or $3 after I straddle for the fifth time and simultaneously hopelessly hit one of the basically bottomless cocktail waitress."

I think your drinking is a bit of a problem if you're hitting cocktail waitresses! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Easy E
05-19-2003, 09:11 AM
If you're THAT drunk that a cocktail waitress can slap you around, it's time for AA.

Lurker
05-19-2003, 01:10 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
If you're THAT drunk that a cocktail waitress can slap you around, it's time for AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, there's nothing quite like pocket aces to sober you up after a long night of drinking and gambling... /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

TimTimSalabim
05-19-2003, 04:05 PM
Ah, those prepositions are so important! Just don't use one to end your sentence with.