PDA

View Full Version : History of Violence movie review

JaBlue
10-01-2005, 03:43 AM
I really didn't like this movie. It was [censored] wierd and nothing like I expected from the commercials. Seriously wierd movie. Maybe it's over my head.

Claunchy
10-01-2005, 03:44 AM
Weird.

tdarko
10-01-2005, 03:48 AM
i was confused for a second, i thought my thread was being bumped /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

sexdrugsmoney
10-01-2005, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the detailed review.

ptmusic
10-01-2005, 03:33 PM
I give it 3 out of 4 stars. Some good acting, and an interesting plot. Limited action, but pretty kickass for the couple of scenes with action. Also, the sex scenes were far better than average....

On the down side, there were 2 scenes I hated for the overdone melodrama (I won't spoil anything). And the mystery could have been far more "mysterious" with more twists.

Overall, this is certainly worth seeing, but it is not oscar material. I'd wait for the dvd.

-ptmusic

istewart
10-01-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the detailed review.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

theben
10-01-2005, 03:36 PM
bello = hot

Rockatansky
10-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Here's a real review (http://www.chicagoreader.com/movies/archives/2005/0905/050930.html) of the movie from probably the best mainstream movie critic in America.

Evan
10-01-2005, 03:54 PM
I saw it last night with JBB. He liked it more than I did, I agree it was a little too weird.

BottlesOf
10-01-2005, 03:58 PM
I don't understand using "weird" as a criticism. I dislike movies that follow the same, formulaic, Hollywood progression. Movies don't have to always end with two people falling in love, or the hero killing his enemy or dying himself.

SmileyEH
10-01-2005, 04:23 PM
I really liked it.

-SmileyEH

Blarg
10-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Me too. The best movies often are a little weird or offputting to some people. That can be a good sign. It often just means they have something to say or are a bit original, which tends to make them more interesting.

There are many people or types of people from whom the comment that something is weird or bad is the best recommendation possible to go see it.

beernutz
10-01-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really didn't like this movie. It was [censored] wierd and nothing like I expected from the commercials. Seriously wierd movie. Maybe it's over my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

The critics seem to love it so far (90% approval at Rottentomatoes.com) so I'll probably see it. Just as a point of reference, did you think a film like 'Memento' was 'wierd' too?

w_alloy
10-01-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Me too. The best movies often are a little weird or offputting to some people. That can be a good sign. It often just means they have something to say or are a bit original, which tends to make them more interesting.

There are many people or types of people from whom the comment that something is weird or bad is the best recommendation possible to go see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

When I hear someone say "it was a good movie but too weird" this is the best possible recomendation from someone i do not have a good amount of respect for. I am much more likely to see a movie with this review from the average person then if they said "it was a complete masterpiece, possibly the best movie ever".

"Weird" is a terriblly unarticulated criticism. If you think a movie was "too weird," there is pretty much always a better way to state your problem with the movie. Most of the time this comment means "it went over my head", "I didn't understand it", or "it touched subject matter that made me uncomfortable".

eastbay
10-01-2005, 06:08 PM
I liked it a lot, and I don't enjoy movies very much anymore, although I watch them all the time.

eastbay

masse75
10-01-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i was confused for a second, i thought there was a review in here

[/ QUOTE ]

astroglide
10-01-2005, 11:23 PM
this is the most confusing high rating on rotten tomatoes i think i've ever seen. the sex scenes were innovative, but the overall plot sucked, the intentional lack of music didn't have a positive effect, unrealistic fights, unrealistic dialogue, and over-the-top melodrama. i don't regret having seen it, but i certainly wouldn't recommend it outside of cable. i thought the pacing and length worked well, but the people with whom i went were frustrated by it from the beginning and thought it drug.

JaBlue
10-02-2005, 03:27 AM
OK sorry for those that expected a real review. Here's a real review:

I'm doing my best not to spoil the movie for anyone who might see it

The characters were poorly developed and the movie was in shambles. I didn't care at all about the characters except for Tom Stall. I liked seeing the nudey maria bello even though she's kinda old. She's hot. There are two sex scenes. The first is great and the second doesn't make any sense (I don't want to spoil it for you). Also the music selection in this is horrible and there is not nearly enough action or suspense for what I expected out of the movie. There are a lot of crappy one-liners, courtesy of the protagonist's kid, that just make the movie look stupid.

All in all I would not recommend the movie to anyone ever and I wish I had seen The Constant Gardener instead. I will see that next weekend.

-Skeme-
10-02-2005, 04:30 AM
Alright, potential spoilers below. I haven't seen the movie, though. Just a question.

<font color="white">Alright, I just IMDB'd this movie and Viggo Mortenson has 2 characters. Please tell me this isn't ANOTHER movie where the twist ending is that another character was a split personality of the main character, or he imagined it, or some other crap a la Fight Club or The Machinist.</font>

SmileyEH
10-02-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, potential spoilers below. I haven't seen the movie, though. Just a question.

<font color="white">Alright, I just IMDB'd this movie and Viggo Mortenson has 2 characters. Please tell me this isn't ANOTHER movie where the twist ending is that another character was a split personality of the main character, or he imagined it, or some other crap a la Fight Club or The Machinist.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be obvious about 20mins in.

-SmileyEH

eastbay
10-02-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It's not really about some big "twist". The twist is fairly obvious and it's not supposed to be a big secret.

eastbay

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 10:08 PM
I agree w/ both astroglide's and JaBlue's reviews. I'm not disappointed having just seen this movie, but I wouldn't really recommend it. The violence was classic Cronenberg style, a couple of shots v. reminsicent of Scanners. The plot and characters were indeed somewhat lacking in development. It felt like a much longer movie that had been edited down quite a bit. Which worked well in terms of pacing, but hurt the movie in those other areas.

Ulysses
10-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Oh, also, re: Maria Bello, I thought she was really hot when I first saw her on ER and then in Payback and Permanent Midnight. When I finally got to see her nude in The Cooler, I was pretty disappointed, mainly w/ her rack. I think she looks much better clothed. Not that she isn't hot. Just hotter w/ clothes.