PDA

View Full Version : Chime in on an argument

10-01-2005, 02:11 AM
Ok so me and a buddy of mine are having an argument on how he should have played a hand in a live action game. We would like your thoughts on it.

Please forgive the formatting, this is my first proper post.

The game is a loose $5-$10 Limit Holdem
2 Limpers,
One is 3 from the blinds the other 5 from the blinds
My buddy holds 44 on the button.

Here is the question, should he raise to push out the blinds or should he call to try and see a cheap flop?

I will post and say who thinks what after we get some feedback.

Tanks in advance.

thesharpie
10-01-2005, 02:29 AM
Call. You can't expect a low pocket pair to hold up often enough unless you're heads up, you'll be flopping at least 2 overcards most of the time, and even if you get a dream non set flop where there's 1 overcard there are still many cards than can hurt you and your bet isn't making anyone go anywehre, since it's a loose game the blinds are probably coming along. Just look to flop a set.

Entity
10-01-2005, 02:34 AM
Call.

W. Deranged
10-01-2005, 03:05 AM
Welcome dude...

This is a very standard call.

Pocket pairs like 44 will not only have a hard time holding up unimproved even against only 2 opponents, but will be difficult to play against 1-3 opponents, particularly as "last aggressor." So the idea is to call and hope others will limp as well and build a big pot so you'll have good odds and many customers for flopping a set.

Think about what the value in your hand is. With 22-66, the value is really in flopping a set and dragging a big pot against multiple opponents, not in pushing small edges against overcards and hoping to hold up unimproved. So you proceed pre-flop in the way that best suits the value of the hand.

Entity
10-01-2005, 03:05 AM
Alternative answer: all-in.

W. Deranged
10-01-2005, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

... lag ...

Entity
10-01-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

... lag ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you have preferred it if I had said,

"Alternative answer: checkraise."?

W. Deranged
10-01-2005, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

... lag ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you have preferred it if I had said,

"Alternative answer: checkraise."?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's slightly funnier because it requires a little bit more thought... "all-in" is certainly a funny option, though.

10-02-2005, 09:39 AM
Im glad that my reasoning was the same as everyones.

I thought that he should have called to try and flop a cheap set of trips.

My buddy wanted to push out the blinds to try and take on the limpers in a 3 way pot, hoping to see a flop of all low cards and hoping that they were just playing with unpaired over cards.

I told him its alot to hope for and that even if low cards came on the flop how would you play it?

He also said that his preflop raise might be seen as strength and if he fired out at the flop he could get people to fold, again, i told him it was alot to hope for.

Thanks for your comments

10-02-2005, 11:46 AM
I would flat call. If the game is loose, the limpers will probably call another bet. If a 4 flops or has no big cards, you can proceed.