PDA

View Full Version : Q9 6-max flop/turn play

istewart
10-01-2005, 01:01 AM
Hey,

Haven't posted a hand in awhile. Here's one I was wondering about from tonight.

What do you think of the flop and turn? Flop bettor was very loose and seemed aggressive postflop but passive preflop by his numbers (60/9/1.2). Flop cold-caller is unknown.

Once I was cold-called on the flop and that turn hit I kind've threw up the white flag.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter (http://www.pokerhand.org)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP folds, Button calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

MrWookie47
10-01-2005, 01:28 AM
I doubt this is much of a mistake, and may be best. I would have bet/folded the turn had I been playing, however. I can't make up my mind if b/f is slightly +EV or slightly -EV.

SCfuji
10-01-2005, 01:31 AM
after i check raise the flop ill bet pretty much any turn card 89.991288571% of the time. otherwise, i wouldnt have check raised in the first place. kind of defeats half the purpose if you dont continue the aggression, no? am i stupid (yes)?

Yerma
10-01-2005, 01:36 AM
I think you should be allowed to re-evaluate on the turn here.

istewart
10-01-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
after i check raise the flop ill bet pretty much any turn card 89.991288571% of the time. otherwise, i wouldnt have check raised in the first place. kind of defeats half the purpose if you dont continue the aggression, no? am i stupid (yes)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm 1) Not 100% sure about the flop c/r, although I'm pretty sure I like it, and 2) once someone calls two cold on that board and another spade hits I kind've assumed the worst, which may be wrong to do (especially considering that guy checked the turn).

MrWookie47
10-01-2005, 01:51 AM
The only time I really let unkown cold callers (especially at 1/2) get to me is on something like a K77 rainbow flop and I raise some chronic donkbetting lag with KQ after my PFR. Here, there's much more that they could be calling with that's not a flush or a K.

gharp
10-01-2005, 02:00 AM
Why not bet the flop?

thesharpie
10-01-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not bet the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not good to bet MP into a field of 5 when a 2 straight and 2 flush is on board.

MrWookie47
10-01-2005, 02:07 AM
True, hero can offer 6:1 and protect against a fair number of draws, but there's also a reasonable likelihood of a K out there. I'd hate to bet out and get raised, because I'd have to call it. I like checking with the intention of calling an EP bet, raising a button bet (more likely to be bluffing, semibluffing, or value betting something worse than hero's holding), or folding to a bet and a raise.

10-01-2005, 02:35 AM
I like it, nicely kicking out draws on the flop. But when he bets again on that turn card he has either made his draw, or has the K. Either way with another 2 in the hand your almost certainly behind and now likely drawing dead.

10-01-2005, 03:42 AM
I like the flop check-raise. There's a great chance button is taking a stab at the pot with anything - any draw, any pair, maybe even a-high. Your queen is likely good here.

Turn: Tough situation... I hate these ones. Everyone checked a scare card to the button, who could have bet a flush/straight draw on the flop (or had a pair of Kings) that now hit. I think folding would be the right play without a good read.