PDA

View Full Version : Standard short stack play or reckless chip spewing

z32fanatic
09-30-2005, 11:57 PM
This is a situation I find myself in many times. I have ~6BBs and flop a draw out of the BB. Is this a good play or should I just wait for a better spot? I interpreted his min bet as a testing of the waters. Also, because I was in the BB, I could easily have T7 or something like that. I would prefer to have J9 here because of the overcard possibility but...

***** Hand History for Game 2804290816 *****
NL Texas Hold'em Trny:16216833 Level:6 Blinds (75/150) - Friday, September 30, 22:50:51 EDT 2005
Table Happy Hour $10,000 Guaranteed(473460) Table #1 (Real Money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 7
Seat 1: tensor12 ( $1660 )
Seat 4: jpak100324 ( $3679 )
Seat 5: marissajean ( $5471 )
Seat 6: woodebone ( $2625 )
Seat 8: z32fanatic1 ( $1250 )
Seat 9: libby1115 ( $1237 )
Seat 10: Aces_Up118 ( $4410 )
Trny:16216833 Level:6
Blinds (75/150)
There is no Small Blind in this hand as the Big Blind of the previous hand left the table.
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to z32fanatic1 [ 9h 7s ]
libby1115 folds.
Aces_Up118 calls [150].
tensor12 folds.
jpak100324 calls [150].
marissajean folds.
woodebone folds.
z32fanatic1 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Th, 8h, 5d ]
z32fanatic1 checks.
Aces_Up118 checks.
jpak100324 bets [150].
z32fanatic1 is all-In [1100]

Che
10-01-2005, 12:02 AM
I would normally lead b/c a check-raise will not have any FE against a reasonable bet. You have 2x pot so I either bet about 35% of what I have left or push.

Given your check and the weak bet by last to act, I like the push, but I would never check to begin with.

Later,
Che

LethalRose
10-01-2005, 12:02 AM
looks perfectly fine to me. Although open pushing gives you a little more FE. however Id be willing to race here and prolly check raise all in.

10-01-2005, 12:13 AM
I probably wouldn't have check raised there myself, you got a draw, and don't know how far behind you are.

I'd open for 300, and likely take down a pot there. If I got called, I'd have a chance of getting a better hand on the turn, and if I got raised all in, I'd know I was behind. I'd also be wary of someone sticking around with a flush draw here, which would turn your 8 outer into a 6 outer. I'd hate this hand, but I'd rather call his minbet on the flop and hope for a good turn than check raising on a bluff. If he has a flush draw, heart draw, or top pair, he is likely to call, and possibly with overcards. Only thing you are ahead of here is a pure bluff with garbage, even high cards are ahead here.

So either open for 300, or call his 150 bet. Going over the top isn't likely to win you the hand here, and more often than not will bust you out. I'd rather check raise when I have 2 pair or better myself being short stacked, and this flop is scary for even that.

In his shoes, he has to think that a set is going to bet here because of the flush draw, not many hands that look like they would check raise here.

10-01-2005, 12:20 AM
I've honestly thought about this play for about 15 minutes in my head, I keep juggling multiple things around, you are out of position to begin with, You have an 8 out draw, barring Runner hearts.
Both limped in, you have 1 with 3x ur stack other with 3.5x your stack, you have ~8bb.
They arent even sitting that comfortable themself 24-28BB's, one is OTB in a standard 1/3rd pot raise, I do this quite a bit with monsters and with nothing, not sure where to peg him at, the other checked following you, you play an agressive play with outs, on a sub-par 2 suited flop.

I think it is solid aggressive play. current amount in the pot barring your 1100 would have been 600, you stab the pot with emphasis, i dont think they will double you up.

I say good play for now. Dont do it again.

z32fanatic
10-01-2005, 12:30 AM
The reason I don't like leading out is that I probably wouldn't lead out with bottom or top 2 pair here. If I had either of those, I would certainly check raise this flop because I'm so short and anticipated the villain betting here. For the record, if he bet the pot or close to it and took away my FE, I would certainly fold. I thought the min bet made it at least a 75% chance that he had nothing here. I also think if he has JTs or something along those lines, he might fold to the all in bet fearing two pair. The main danger is that people check raise all in with flush draws and he might put me on that and call. No way is he putting me on 97. I think this play is MUCH safer without the flush draw. I honestly did not expect him to call this bet just because his min bet was so weak looking.

10-01-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The reason I don't like leading out is that I probably wouldn't lead out with bottom or top 2 pair here. If I had either of those, I would certainly check raise this flop because I'm so short and anticipated the villain betting here. For the record, if he bet the pot or close to it and took away my FE, I would certainly fold. I thought the min bet made it at least a 75% chance that he had nothing here. I also think if he has JTs or something along those lines, he might fold to the all in bet fearing two pair. The main danger is that people check raise all in with flush draws and he might put me on that and call. No way is he putting me on 97. I think this play is MUCH safer without the flush draw. I honestly did not expect him to call this bet just because his min bet was so weak looking.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the flush draw wasn't there, I could see this working very well. I am probably wrong, but I think people use the check raise way too often nowadays, seems half the time people check raise me, they are doing it on a complete bluff, at least when I call. And when I do call, its either I have overcards to the board, a very strong hand, or have incredible odds to call his raise.

I rarely check raise anymore, only when I figure that I will take more chips from my over aggressive opponent by check raising than by betting out. Too many times, I've gone for a check raise, and either get sucked out by someone who now feels obligated to call, or they check and the free card screws me. Now, I'd rather bet out, or go for the call/bet out on the turn.