PDA

View Full Version : CRI Gone After 49 Years...

Mark Heide
05-17-2003, 03:25 AM
CRI is Composers Recordings, Inc. They were a non-profit organization dedicated to new musics. Their catalog included everything from serialism, neo-classicism, neo-romantic, electronic, post-modernism, and every type of serious music that was produced by American composers during the 20th Century. They featured composers that combined classical with jazz, oriental, African, etc. You name it they found it. Many of the composers they produced recording of were never played on public radio. They even featured recording of electric guitar ensembles like New York Guitars.

Back when I was in college in the late seventies, CRI records were always part of the library. My music history teacher gave me an assignment to listen to Milton Babbitt's piano music. I told him I didn't like it, so he made me analyze some of Babbitt's works. Since, I had to listen to this stuff over and over, I eventually acquired a taste for this music.

Anyway, CRI has ceased operation in February and another non-profit organization is going to take over the catalog. But, the good news for now is that the entire catalog of CDs are being liquidated and you can purchase each title from www.qualiton.com (http://www.qualiton.com) for $3.50 each. Note that, Borders and Tower are still selling these items between $14.99 and $17.99.

If you feel adventureous and need to have your mind challenged, I suggest purchasing some of these titles before they are gone. I just placed my order for 55 of them.

Good Luck

Mark