PDA

View Full Version : Are desktops always this noisy?

gila
09-30-2005, 10:49 PM
I got my new dell 9100 and I am surpised how loud it is when the hard drive is working. Must just be used to the centrino laptops. Please tell me its normal.

StevieG
09-30-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm sorry to say it might not be. The hard drive should make some noise, but not a lot. It may be the fan you hear, or your hard drive might be going.

If you feel comfortable with messing around a bit, try taking the cover off and restarting your computer. You'll be able to tell better if your hard drive is making any funny sound.

In any case, you may wish to back up important data now.

gila
09-30-2005, 11:51 PM
God, I hope my hard drive is not going, it's brand new. I'm pretty sure it is the hard drive I hear. I can hear the fan too. But this is like a kkkk kk, then relative silence for awhile, then kk kkkk. It is the same sound it makes when, for instance, I am downloading something, except much shorter in duration, sometimes just a ke. And its not THAT load, but...

Then again my laptop was almost silent, so maybe I am just not used to this big beast? And I don't have nothing important on here yet.

PLOlover
10-01-2005, 03:21 AM
maybe you just need to defrag.

MyMindIsGoing
10-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Sounds like the drive MIGHT be damaged during transport. I always fill my new harddrives with crap and realy push them to the limit to se if they fail, since I rather want them to fail then rather than when I least expect it. I would not put any thing important on that drive before I knew if it will fail or not.

If it has sorta "clicking" (almost like a strong magnet that is placed on a fridge) sound to it, it is a bad sign.

gila
10-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Lets say I am doing nothing but my computer is on 2+2, for instance. I am not typing, moving the mouse, etc. Nothing. Should my computer be "farting" every 5-10 seconds are should it just be a solid hum (fan) that I hear?

By the way, it seems to be saving things fine, I have downloaded several poker sites, itunes, and PT so far without any problems. Just the noise. and its not so much a magnet clicking sound as its just the normal hardrive sound, except it's relitively loud and "burps" every few seconds much of the time

gila
10-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Oh, and why is my 160gb Hard drive only 144GB, that is quite a round up. Also, hard for me to believe this $1500 computer does not come with a firewire input. Oh, well, guess I better look into it a little more next time.

MyMindIsGoing
10-01-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and why is my 160gb Hard drive only 144GB

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a scam (yes I do know about gibi and that bs). In short "their" gb is not the same as windows gb. You should get more than 144 though. Wouldn't suprise me if there are some damaged parts of the disk that has ben marked as faulty oonsidering the sound it makes.