PDA

View Full Version : A 21 year old badass

beernutz
09-30-2005, 09:57 PM
Audie Leon Murphy

b. June 20, 1924. d. May 28, 1971.

CITATION: 2d Lt. Murphy commanded Company B, which was attacked by 6 tanks and waves of infantry. 2d Lt. Murphy ordered his men to withdraw to prepared positions in a woods, while he remained forward at his command post and continued to give fire directions to the artillery by telephone. Behind him, to his right, 1 of our tank destroyers received a direct hit and began to burn. Its crew withdrew to the woods. 2d Lt. Murphy continued to direct artillery fire which killed large numbers of the advancing enemy infantry. With the enemy tanks abreast of his position, 2d Lt. Murphy climbed on the burning tank destroyer, which was in danger of blowing up at any moment, and employed its .50 caliber machine gun against the enemy. He was alone and exposed to German fire from 3 sides, but his deadly fire killed dozens of Germans and caused their infantry attack to waver. The enemy tanks, losing infantry support, began to fall back. For an hour the Germans tried every available weapon to eliminate 2d Lt. Murphy, but he continued to hold his position and wiped out a squad which was trying to creep up unnoticed on his right flank. Germans reached as close as 10 yards, only to be mowed down by his fire. He received a leg wound, but ignored it and continued the single-handed fight until his ammunition was exhausted. He then made his way to his company, refused medical attention, and organized the company in a counterattack which forced the Germans to withdraw. His directing of artillery fire wiped out many of the enemy; he killed or wounded about 50. 2d Lt. Murphy's indomitable courage and his refusal to give an inch of ground saved his company from possible encirclement and destruction, and enabled it to hold the woods which had been the enemy's objective.

Duke
09-30-2005, 10:10 PM
He's definitely a badass. Didn't read the post, but have read about the guy before.

~D

09-30-2005, 10:12 PM
tl; dr

Colonel Kataffy
09-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Have to admit though that it was a bit corny for him to make a movie about it and star in it as himself.

Tron
09-30-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tl; dr

[/ QUOTE ]

He killed like a billion German soldiers by himself.

09-30-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Have to admit though that it was a bit corny for him to make a movie about it and star in it as himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember when this movie came out. Bad acting awards were earned.

I also remember him talking about his Holly-weird career. He let himself get talked into the whole movie scene and he wasn't proud of it. But he did make a few bucks, so WTF.

whiskeytown
09-30-2005, 10:22 PM
was this during the Battle of the Bulge?

RB

beernutz
09-30-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Audie Murphy originally declined the opportunity to portray himself in the movie, not wanting people to think that he was attempting to cash in on his role as a war hero.

beernutz
09-30-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
was this during the Battle of the Bulge?

RB

[/ QUOTE ]
This action was in the Riquewihr Woods near Holtzwihr France, January 26th 1945. This was right after the end of the Battle of the Bulge which was Dec. '44 - Jan. '45 but taht took place in Belgium and Luxembourg.

Bigdaddydvo
09-30-2005, 10:42 PM
Hence the Sergeant Audie Murphy club in the Army.

rusellmj
09-30-2005, 11:05 PM
I spent some time reading at a MOH website where the feats of the awardees are logged. If these events weren't witnessed you'd never believe some of them. Amazing stuff.

raisins
09-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Isn't this is his Medal of Honor citation? He did more than this though. I think he ended up with an estimated total of 240 Nazi soldiers killed.

Unfortunately like some other vets (heroes) who saw a lot of combat his later years ween't so great. A guy who grew up idolizing him did a biography and found out that he likely suffered from PTSD, undiagnosed, and drank heavily; he was pretty unhappy in his later years with trouble forming meaningful relationships. "Pappy" Boyington is a similar character, outstanding war hero, another Medal of Honor recipient and many of the same difficulties in his life after the war.

regards,

raisins

09-30-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

...He did more than this though...

[/ QUOTE ]

He was the single most-decorated man in WWII. He's known mostly for the MOH.

ThaSaltCracka
09-30-2005, 11:55 PM
what a g.

Colonel Kataffy
10-01-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Audie Murphy originally declined the opportunity to portray himself in the movie, not wanting people to think that he was attempting to cash in on his role as a war hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, what finally convinced him to do it? the cash?

beernutz
10-01-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this is his Medal of Honor citation? He did more than this though. I think he ended up with an estimated total of 240 Nazi soldiers killed.

Unfortunately like some other vets (heroes) who saw a lot of combat his later years ween't so great. A guy who grew up idolizing him did a biography and found out that he likely suffered from PTSD, undiagnosed, and drank heavily; he was pretty unhappy in his later years with trouble forming meaningful relationships. "Pappy" Boyington is a similar character, outstanding war hero, another Medal of Honor recipient and many of the same difficulties in his life after the war.

regards,

raisins

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is the Citation for his Congressional Medal of Honor. He was actually recovering from another wound (a bullet in the hip I believe) and was supposed to be convalescing from that but left the medical unit early and returned to his outfit. He was then wounded again during the episode described above for which he was awarded the MoH.

beernutz
10-01-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also remember him talking about his Holly-weird career. He let himself get talked into the whole movie scene and he wasn't proud of it. But he did make a few bucks, so WTF.

[/ QUOTE ]

The movie, To Hell and Back, set the record as the highest grossing movie for Universal when it came out in 1955 and retained that status until Jaws was released in 1975.

Murphy, like many vets, suffered from PTSD.

10-01-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The movie, To Hell and Back, set the record as the highest grossing movie for Universal when it came out in 1955 and retained that status until Jaws was released in 1975.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe box office success is always an indication of the quality of a movie. My comment was strictly my opinion of the movie.

Remember, the folks who went to see this movie, myself included, were in awe of the man. We went for that reason alone. And my opinion of the movie's quality was formed many years later when I watched it again, as an adult.

Have you seen it? I recommend it to anyone interested in the man, if you can find it. It's extremely interesting. It's factual. It's informative. Reading about his actions is one thing, but seeing them re-enacted is awesome.

I also recommend the Gary Cooper movie about Sergeant York. It covers the man's soul-searching before he entered service, as well as his exploits. And it's got a couple of very funny scenes to lighten it a little.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We called it "shell-shocked." And it wasn't, sadly, recognized as a genuine, serious condition.

10-01-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a "club". It's an award for the NCO of the year, whuch I was a finalst for /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jakethebake
10-01-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a "club". It's an award for the NCO of the year, whuch I was a finalst for /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Impressive...even it is the Army. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

afk
10-01-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
tl; dr

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope this gets bannable here, too.

SuitedSixes
10-01-2005, 11:39 AM
I would like to see a larger version of your avatar.

10-01-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tl; dr

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now I have to know what that means /images/graemlins/confused.gif

10-01-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Ok, now I have to know what that means

[/ QUOTE ]

tl; dr = Too Long, Didn't Read

bannable = capable of being banned (?)

Bigdaddydvo
10-01-2005, 11:58 AM
A club you must apply, appear before a board, and be selected for. My 1SG is a member.

beernutz
10-01-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe box office success is always an indication of the quality of a movie. My comment was strictly my opinion of the movie.

Remember, the folks who went to see this movie, myself included, were in awe of the man. We went for that reason alone. And my opinion of the movie's quality was formed many years later when I watched it again, as an adult.

Have you seen it? I recommend it to anyone interested in the man, if you can find it. It's extremely interesting. It's factual. It's informative. Reading about his actions is one thing, but seeing them re-enacted is awesome.

I also recommend the Gary Cooper movie about Sergeant York. It covers the man's soul-searching before he entered service, as well as his exploits. And it's got a couple of very funny scenes to lighten it a little.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We called it "shell-shocked." And it wasn't, sadly, recognized as a genuine, serious condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I've seen it at least three times. It was just on Turner Classic, which prompted me to write this post. There are better war movies obviously but it is not a terrible movie IMO.

beernutz
10-01-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tl; dr

[/ QUOTE ]

If that post was too long for you, you need to change your nick.

10-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Think it was Italy.

beernutz
10-01-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your wish.... (http://tinyurl.com/cwx8q)

Bulldog
10-01-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tl; dr

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? Why would this be bannable? Next, someone will say asking for banninations should be bannable, and you'll be gone.

tonypaladino
10-01-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your wish.... (http://tinyurl.com/cwx8q)

[/ QUOTE ]

So how many peope who said others should have been suspicious of a wierd looking link in Alobar's post clicked on this one without giving it a second thought?

(It's safe, btw)

geormiet
10-01-2005, 03:30 PM
I just spent the last 30 minutes reading the MOH website, and I can't believe this stuff.

[ QUOTE ]

*ANDERSON, RICHARD BEATTY

Rank and organization: Private First Class, U.S. Marine Corps. Born: 26 June 1921, Tacoma, Wash. Accredited to: Washington. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the 4th Marine Division during action against enemy Japanese forces on Roi Island, Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands, 1 February 1944. Entering a shell crater occupied by 3 other marines, Pfc. Anderson was preparing to throw a grenade at an enemy position when it slipped from his hands and rolled toward the men at the bottom of the hole. With insufficient time to retrieve the armed weapon and throw it, Pfc. Anderson fearlessly chose to sacrifice himself and save his companions by hurling his body upon the grenade and taking the full impact of the explosion. His personal valor and exceptional spirit of loyalty in the face of almost certain death were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

*ANTOLAK, SYLVESTER

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always wondered about this. Is it truly faster to throw yourself on the grenade versus picking up the grenade and throwing it the hell out of your way?

Also, if you throw yourself on a grenade will it really protect other people who are close by??

RunDownHouse
10-01-2005, 03:50 PM
I now want to go rent BoB.

Rockatansky
10-01-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Audie Leon Murphy

CITATION: 2d Lt. Murphy commanded Company B, which was attacked by 6 tanks and waves of infantry. 2d Lt. Murphy ordered his men to withdraw to prepared positions in a woods, while he remained forward at his command post and continued to give fire directions to the artillery by telephone. Behind him, to his right, 1 of our tank destroyers received a direct hit and began to burn. Its crew withdrew to the woods. 2d Lt. Murphy continued to direct artillery fire which killed large numbers of the advancing enemy infantry. With the enemy tanks abreast of his position, 2d Lt. Murphy climbed on the burning tank destroyer, which was in danger of blowing up at any moment, and employed its .50 caliber machine gun against the enemy. He was alone and exposed to German fire from 3 sides, but his deadly fire killed dozens of Germans and caused their infantry attack to waver. The enemy tanks, losing infantry support, began to fall back. For an hour the Germans tried every available weapon to eliminate 2d Lt. Murphy, but he continued to hold his position and wiped out a squad which was trying to creep up unnoticed on his right flank. Germans reached as close as 10 yards, only to be mowed down by his fire. He received a leg wound, but ignored it and continued the single-handed fight until his ammunition was exhausted. He then made his way to his company, refused medical attention, and organized the company in a counterattack which forced the Germans to withdraw. His directing of artillery fire wiped out many of the enemy; he killed or wounded about 50. 2d Lt. Murphy's indomitable courage and his refusal to give an inch of ground saved his company from possible encirclement and destruction, and enabled it to hold the woods which had been the enemy's objective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Real heros use paragraphs.

beernutz
10-01-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Audie Leon Murphy

[/ QUOTE ]

Real heros use paragraphs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Citation didn't use paragraphs so neither did I.

AceHigh
10-01-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
've always wondered about this. Is it truly faster to throw yourself on the grenade versus picking up the grenade and throwing it the hell out of your way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And modern grenades have short timers, so there is rarely enough time to pick it up and throw the grenade.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you throw yourself on a grenade will it really protect other people who are close by??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but it's not a perfect plan.

rusellmj
10-01-2005, 07:01 PM
While reading the site it seemed to me this action will get you the MOH every time.