PDA

View Full Version : "The Hidden Fortress" DVD Movie Review

Mark Heide
05-16-2003, 10:57 PM
This is Akira Kurosawa's movie about Japanese clans at war, two farmers trying to get rich from the war, and a princess and her general trying to transport gold across enemy territory to restore their clan. It's has plenty of humor and will keep you entertained. It gets a 10 out of 10.

Mark

whiskeytown
05-17-2003, 12:12 AM
what the hell is your problem...you're only giving this move a 10 out of 10 cause the japanese princess has thighs like milk and has bondage scenes...I know how you think......LOL

I'm a mega Akira Kurosawa fan...I'd say of his top 4 (Seven Samuari, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and the HF) - this rates a 3 of the top 4...and maybe RAN (from '85) rates even better...

you're right...it's great though... - It's incredible how the Seven Samuari was the inspiration for the Magnificant Seven, and almost every movie where cowboys come in to rescue peasants. - Meanwhile, the Hidden Fortress was a movie that seriously inspired Star Wars. - then Yojimbo inspired a Fistful Full of Dollars, Last Man Standing, and all these other movies where a stranger comes into town and plays two factions off one another.

incredible filmmaker....but if Hidden Fortress gets 10 out of 10, then Seven Samuari and Ran goes up to 11 or 12...LOL /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

pax
RB

John Cole
05-17-2003, 12:33 AM
Saw Harold Bloom on Booknotes last week, and he says that Throne of Blood is the best Shakespearean film adaption ever. I agree, but Ran is also a great version of King Lear.

Mark Heide
05-17-2003, 03:39 AM
"the japanese princess has thighs like milk and has bondage scenes"

I guess you could consider being tied up bondage. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

My rating of 10 is for content. It's too difficult to say one is better than the other unless there is something I dislike or find boring. But, The Hidden Fortress is at the top of my list and I liked it much better than any of the other Kurosawa films. Basically, I think it is one of the easiest movie to follow. I do like all the other films you mention and think highly of them, except for Ran. I think this film has some footage that can be boring, but overall I would give it an 8 out of 10.

Mark

Phat Mack
05-17-2003, 03:27 PM
Throne of Blood is my favorite Shakespeare on film, and pushes with Rashamon for my favorite Kurosawa flick. My favorite Lear is the one with Paul Scofield, the guy from A Man for all Seasons. I think it's in B&W. The daughters are great. Both flicks have an ability to transport me into the play, and not let me loose 'til it's over.

John Cole
05-17-2003, 08:43 PM
Phat Mack,

Throne of Blood has always been my favorite Shakespeare on film, too. The Scofield Lear, I think, was directed by Brooks, and based on Jan Kott's book Shakespeare, Our Contemporary, which reevalutes Shakespeare in light of 20th century atrocities. I always thought that this Lear along with an older Russian version were the best until I saw the BBC production starring Ian Holm a few years ago. It's, for me anyway, the best Lear I've seen.

John