PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Answering

09-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't answer any calls from a number that isn't already programmed into my phone? If you aren't in there, screw it you have to leave a message and I'll call you back if I feel like it. If you're important enough to talk to, then how come you aren't already in my phone!

JoshuaD
09-30-2005, 07:18 PM
It depends, but I probably only answer 50% of the calls from people I don't know.

captZEEbo1
09-30-2005, 07:20 PM
so far most of the calls from people I didn't know have been wrong numbers

haakee
09-30-2005, 07:21 PM
I do the same, unless I'm expecting a call from somebody whose number I don't know. [censored] 'em.

Tron
09-30-2005, 07:29 PM
I used to be able to answer any which phone call, but I can't do that any more because I girl that I very much don't want to talk to has gotten crafty and started using other people's phones (from numerous area codes, no less) to call me.

runner4life7
09-30-2005, 07:32 PM
I answer because i have no friends and it could be anyone. Although usually it is a stupid company or a wrong number...oh well

James Boston
09-30-2005, 07:35 PM
I use mine for business, so I kind of need to answer.

private joker
09-30-2005, 08:11 PM
Here's two complaints I have:

1) When someone leaves a voice mail and tells you what time they're calling. Dude, all cell phones record what time the message was left. Stop wasting my time and get to the point of why you called.

2) People's outgoing messages that just say: "Hi, you've reached (917) 934-8777." I know I've reached that number. It's the number I dialed. What would help, if you're so concerned that I may have dialed the wrong number, would be if you SAID YOUR GODDAMMNED NAME! I dialed (917) 934-8777 because I was looking for Mark. All you've done is repeat the number I just entered. I need more information -- like if this is Mark's phone or not! Tell me your goddamn name. Then I'll know if I have the right number. Jesus Christ, that pisses me off.

BoxTree, I'm looking at you.

MarkSummers
09-30-2005, 08:36 PM
What do you guys do when your friend calls your cell phone and in the caller ID it shows up as "jon" or "fred" or whatever. Saying "hello?" is kinda stupid because you already know who it is. But hello has been the standard phone answer forever.

I mean, they know that they're calling you and you know that they know they see their name show up on your phone. Why say "hello?"

Personally, I say "hello?" sometimes but many others I'll just say, "what's up _______" or something like that.

BusterStacks
09-30-2005, 09:00 PM
I answer calls from number I don't know. It's like unwrapping a christmas present that's probably going to suck!

edfurlong
09-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Slightly off topic but at least once a day at work someone calls because "they saw that someone called from that number on their caller ID" or whatever.

Who the [censored] just calls every number they don't recognize on their caller id.

09-30-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I answer calls from number I don't know. It's like unwrapping a christmas present that's probably going to suck!

[/ QUOTE ]

nice lol

SossMan
09-30-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys do when your friend calls your cell phone and in the caller ID it shows up as "jon" or "fred" or whatever. Saying "hello?" is kinda stupid because you already know who it is. But hello has been the standard phone answer forever.

I mean, they know that they're calling you and you know that they know they see their name show up on your phone. Why say "hello?"

Personally, I say "hello?" sometimes but many others I'll just say, "what's up _______" or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

'yo' or 'what's goin' on, man' seem to work just fine.

on the original topic, i'm scared to answer my cell if it's a number i don't know because it's my work phone and it might be a client that wants information that I probably don't have since i'm in the middle of playing cards or some other [censored].

siccjay
10-01-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, all cell phones record what time the message was left.

[/ QUOTE ]

My voice mail doesn't.

InchoateHand
10-01-2005, 02:09 AM
Your cell phone?

I do that with my home phone. But I also don't have a cell phone. It was incredibly liberating, when I got rid of it, and I've never missed it since.

TheMetetron
10-01-2005, 02:11 AM
Hell no. Do you know how many people want to get a hold of me that I have absolutely no desire to talk to (ex girlfriends, guys who want to beat my ass, government agencies, etc).

Leave a voicemail, if you are important I'll call you back.

The Dude
10-01-2005, 03:45 AM
If I'm by myself and not busy (driving my car, for example), I'll answer any call. If I'm busy or with somebody else, I usually don't answer the phone, and certainly not if I don't recognize the number.

daryn
10-01-2005, 03:47 AM
i just answer it. it takes about two seconds. nothing bad could possibly come from it, however if someone i actually know is trying to get in touch with me for some important reason, i'll get the call. this one seems like a no brainer.

i answer the phone with "yeah" or "hey"

daryn
10-01-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I'm by myself and not busy (driving my car, for example), I'll answer any call. If I'm busy or with somebody else, I usually don't answer the phone, and certainly not if I don't recognize the number.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that works. i'm a responsible cell phone user. also, when i have to answer in a public place, i always try to talk as quiet as possible while still remaining audible to the person on the other end. i hate morons who feel like because they are on a cell phone they have to talk 10x as loud.