PDA

View Full Version : 99 facing an odd bet

09-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Villian is loose passive and has shown a tendency to call down when he hits the board.

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: thejonesess is MP1 with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>

Now what?

baronzeus
09-30-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

call down

09-30-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

call down

[/ QUOTE ]

No raise?

TheHammer24
09-30-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

call down

[/ QUOTE ]

no...call down, raising is muuuuch worse.

No raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

09-30-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

call down

[/ QUOTE ]

No raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

no...call down, raising is muuuuch worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

As soon as I posted it, I didn't think it was right. I mean, what would be the point? It's not really protecting at this point, I guess.

10-01-2005, 12:09 AM
I think raising is a better option here. Our read on the player is loose/passive and will call down when he catches a piece of the board. Based on this, I think raising will extract value when villain holds a 6, or medium overpair like 77, and calls down. I also think we can fold to a 3-bet with little fear of folding the winning hand as villain is passive. In my opinion, raising has greater expectation, in that you will maximize value when you are ahead and minimum losses when you're behind.

silkyslim
10-01-2005, 12:19 AM
id raise if there were more people in but here i am just going into WA/WB mode.

TheHammer24
10-01-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think raising is a better option here. Our read on the player is loose/passive and will call down when he catches a piece of the board. Based on this, I think raising will extract value when villain holds a 6, or medium overpair like 77, and calls down. I also think we can fold to a 3-bet with little fear of folding the winning hand as villain is passive. In my opinion, raising has greater expectation, in that you will maximize value when you are ahead and minimum losses when you're behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

You WA/WB. Raising loses you more either way. If Villian is behind, he'll likely realize this and stop betting losing you bets you could have won. IF you are behind he'll keep betting and you call and lose more bets. Raising HU in this situation is bad.

Pog0
10-01-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
id raise if there were more people in but here i am just going into WA/WB mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could make this argument more convincingly if you had AA, however, if villian has taken this opportunity to be a donk, he may very well still have 6 outs against you.

However if he IS being donkish, what's to say he won't be even more donkish and 3-bet with nothing making you fold the best hand? I've been very surprised, but players with an AF of 0.7 or lower do occasionally 3-bet me preflop and lead postflop and end up with J8o having hit none of the board (which immidiately becomes a note and a moment of dissapointment because they are no longer completely predictable)