PDA

View Full Version : Controlling the bankroll

tighterr
09-30-2005, 06:41 PM
I have a tendacy to play a little more loose when I have alot of money in my account.(horriable I know, I know) I have been recently allowing my self to hold a max limit of money in my account to help prevent this chip spewing. I normally keep about 40x bb. It forces me to play proper smart poker and basically keeps me in check. Does anyone do something similar? any thoughts on this stragey?

mudbuddha
09-30-2005, 07:56 PM
some sites, i cash out, 100-200 whenever i get it as i go along so when i lose the 200$ i have online, i have time ot think about what the hell i did and hopefully not tilt more than whatever i have online.
whatever works. u should really just not loosen up

09-30-2005, 11:09 PM
I'm sure you have heard of the 300bb recomendation for a bankroll. I think this is a very good rule and keeping only 40 in there may not be such a great idea. I think learning discipline and keeping a bare minimum of 300bb in the roll and allowing it to grow is the best course of action. Making plays out of fear of crippling ones bankroll, in my opinion, is a horrible strategy. Learning to take control over your tendency to loosen up as your bankroll grows would be a step towards making you a much better player and building your roll would allow you to move up to higher limits in the future.

Dan Mezick
10-01-2005, 12:18 AM
This is a tactic that is tuned to your temperament. Specifically, tuned your self-observed propensity to get out of line when you are fat.

Most any adjustments based on valid self-awareness of personal temperament are going to improve your win rate substantially.

tighterr
10-01-2005, 02:02 AM
I have way over 300bb in my roll. The reason I keep only 40 in my online account is to keep my actions straight. The rest I cash out is still set aside in my poker roll. I dont think there is anyone who likes put money into their online account so I keep a marginal amount in there to force me to play proper. If I loose that amount to bad flops and suckouts then I am more then happy to reload.

tighterr
10-01-2005, 02:03 AM
I think you agree with me?

rgschackelford
10-01-2005, 02:04 AM
Howdy,

I am a huge believer in the 300 bb philosophy. I like to buy in to a game with 40 bb, and if I lose it all, I close my web browser, and click on the TV to see what's on, or turn on the PS2, and drown myself with a little hockey. This is why it is vital for poker players to have other interests. Poker is fun, but if that's the only thing you like, you'll find yourself using poker to forget about poker. That's not a good idea. This is why it is very hard to play for a living. If you get bored and want to stop and just go watch TV, you can't, because you'd lose out on time you need to spend at the tables. You don't lose money to TV (unless you're all up in the Spice channel), and you don't lose money to the Playstation or XBox (Aside from hardware and software costs).

Rusty G.

tighterr
10-01-2005, 02:21 AM
I got alot of interest (for instances watching my leafs beat up on your red wings). But I think buying in for 40bb online is really high. I like to play a tighter game especially online where the money can fly around pretty quickly.

10-01-2005, 07:28 AM
oh alrighty

ginko
10-01-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Howdy,

I am a huge believer in the 300 bb philosophy. I like to buy in to a game with 40 bb, and if I lose it all, I close my web browser, and click on the TV to see what's on, or turn on the PS2, and drown myself with a little hockey. This is why it is vital for poker players to have other interests. Poker is fun, but if that's the only thing you like, you'll find yourself using poker to forget about poker. That's not a good idea. This is why it is very hard to play for a living. If you get bored and want to stop and just go watch TV, you can't, because you'd lose out on time you need to spend at the tables. You don't lose money to TV (unless you're all up in the Spice channel), and you don't lose money to the Playstation or XBox (Aside from hardware and software costs).

Rusty G.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post because I agree with everything you say.

10-01-2005, 06:33 PM
I fall into the same traps as the OP quite often, though I have been trying to reduce this tendency. If I take a hit (was on the $50NL tables yesterday...flopped a boat...lost to a bigger boat) early on, I go reverse tilt and tighten up until I get back to where I was, then back to normal style...

As I get some cushion, I, too, tend to open it up a little and play a lot more hands.

My question is about the 300BB roll and the 25-50BB buy-ins and the style in which you play. No matter where I am at in relation to my 25-50BB buy-in at the table, I should not (so long as I am playing fundamentally sound, which is a work-in-progress /images/graemlins/smirk.gif) alter my play as a function of the chips in front of me, correct? I am speaking of cash games, not tourneys where you obvious have to change your play when you are down to the felt).

Thoughts?

Hybrid_11
10-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Theoretically saying in a limit game your style should only change to the way of the table i.e loose to tight or passive to aggresive. Your style might change due to keeping up with the kind of game but your plays should not be influenced by how many or little chips you have in play.