PDA

View Full Version : I'm still shaking my head over this

SoCalPat
05-16-2003, 07:41 PM
.5/1 at Paradise. One legitimate maniac, one borderline. See if you can guess who they are.

I'm in MP with QQ and raise after two limp in. One caller after me (MP+1), BB three-bets, first limper caps (?!?!) and everyone who's in the pot calls. Five to the flop

FLOP: 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

BB checks (?), UTG and EP+1 call, I raise, MP+1 folds, BB makes it 3 and UTG caps (WTF!?!?!?!). EP+1, myself and BB call. Four to the turn, and the pot is huge ($18.25).

TURN: 10 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

BB checks, UTG bets, EP+1 bets, I raise, all call. What? ... no more raises? Maybe I am ahead.

RIVER: 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

I'm safe, or so I think. BB checks, UTG bets, EP+1 raises, I call two cold and BB folds. UTG calls.

UTG has 66, making his set on the river. But get this ... EP+1 has 57o for the nut straight.

It just kills me that UTG was dead as dead, EP+1 had nothing to begin with (I'd have been hard pressed not to knock his lights out if this were a B&M game) and had two outs at the river ... and pulled it out.

Dems the breaks. Unfortunately, EP+1 must have sold his soul to Satan, as he turned about $30 into $140 in an hour, with the deck just shining on his sorry ass all night long (my favorite was another $25-plus pot that he raked when the flop came 666 -- remember, I said he sold his soul to Satan -- and he had capped it preflop with K6o.). It was a miracle I ended the session with a small loss, and with several other killer beats (my straight on the turn completes the BB's set and he then pairs up on the river; none of my nut flush draws came on the turn and river, etc.), that I didn't go on tilt as well and really punch a hole in my bankroll.

Sorry for the bad beat story, but sometimes, you gotta vent. And I'd rather vent here than take it out on my bankroll.

jaydoggie
05-16-2003, 08:23 PM
Ive been playing .5/1 on paradise the past few days, and Ive noticed that these maniacs do get lucky but its usually not consistent and I see them coming in all the time, buying in for 10-15$ and losing it all.. rebuying.. losing .. rebuying.. losing. I imagine that guy has already lost his 140$, if not it wont take him long.

bernie
05-16-2003, 09:11 PM
one of the more confusing posts ive read as far as how the action went.

"BB checks (?), UTG and EP+1 call, I raise"

who bet?

"BB checks, UTG bets, EP+1 bets, I raise, "

who bet?

"(I'd have been hard pressed not to knock his lights out if this were a B&M game)"

why? first time this has been done to you? there are many, many worse beats than this. but i never understand why some players hold it personal against the player that won. like he maliciously played the crap hand solely to piss ya off. like it's his fault that he hit his card.

oh well...

b

SoCalPat
05-16-2003, 10:04 PM
Maybe when I have 1,800 posts, perhaps mine can match yours for perfect clarity. Sorry if it confused you so much.

The "I'd have ... knocked his lights out" was me in my former life as a Texas frontiersman from 50 years ago speaking. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

And I'll disagree on the "many, many worse" beats than this. Two-outers are two-outers. And it was in a micro-limit game. But short of him having only one out, I don't see how your statement qualifies.

bernie
05-16-2003, 10:31 PM
hey, dont take it out on me. geez...

"Maybe when I have 1,800 posts, perhaps mine can match yours for perfect clarity. Sorry if it confused you so much."

i was just asking for clarification for how the action went. it wasnt a slam. maybe something to remember in your next hand post. it does kinda help to know.

"And I'll disagree on the "many, many worse" beats than this. Two-outers are two-outers. And it was in a micro-limit game. But short of him having only one out, I don't see how your statement qualifies."

so you know for sure the other guys had flush draws?

a worse beat? runner, runner draws. and draws with worse odds compared to the pot. sometimes, you can have odds to draw to a 2 outer. not here, but there are times. and those times it's not a bad beat, per se.

example...

flop is J 7 4rainbow

turn is 8 river 9

guy turns over QT facing multiple bets the whole way. at least 2 bets per round. beating pkt QQ. this is a much worse beat than catching a 22-1 outer, if it was actually 22-1.

btw...what do you expect in micros? professional play?

ill look for the eggshells next time i respond

b

SoCalPat
05-16-2003, 10:57 PM
Initially, my thoughts were, if your only reason to post was to chide me for using incorrect terminology (mixing up bet with call, etc.), why post?

Sorry for being on edge and snapping.

Yes, I'm aware that there are worse beats, and you're right, the BB could have been on a flush draw. I'm probably mostly ticked because the last (and first) time I played a maniac, I played him like a piano. It didn't work this time. I hope it will next time so I don't post on here sounding like a baby. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

bernie
05-16-2003, 11:13 PM
unless im responding to a flame, i dont chide and flame. lord knows ive misread a few posts reading through them too quick at times. and other posters call me on it. which is cool. it helps me out. i know the hand wasnt meant to be analyzed. it wasnt the point of your post. but the format you used, i wanted to note to you for possible future posts. many posts that want analyzation get skipped when written unclearly. many of us skip the hand history posts for good reason. just tryin to help.

about the results: there's a reason theyre called maniacs.

ya oughtta try the 'real' micros. the penny tables. haha

ive been playing them for a bit. actually seeing if i can build a roll from $.15. though im not going to grind as i did long ago on the micros. i have the live game for that.

fun tables though. 1 guy already complained about 1 maniac that sat in. he couldnt handle the action. kinda funny actually. it's pennies dude! doesnt get much cheaper to learn that texture. though it isnt always like that. some times it can be a tight table.

like when pufferfish shows up. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

last thing. be prepared. your initial post was about a hand/session. wait til you get about 3-5 of these sessions in a row. or more. with beat after beat. THEN youll be put to the test.

just something to watch for.

cya

b

Nottom
05-17-2003, 10:41 AM
maybe its just me, but losing a hand with unimproved JJ just doesn't really qualify as much of a bad beat.

Try this one.

I get AA UTG+1 ... limper to me, I raise. Next player raises. LP cold-calls 3, limpers calls i cap, all call.

Flop comes: AQx with two clubs.

Check, bet, raise, call2, fold, raise, cap call 2, call

Turn: 2c (crap) I bet, get raised, caller re-raises, we both call.

River: 2d - sweet.

I check, next bets, last raises, i re-raise, call 2, cap, both call.

I show my aces proudly, next flashes queens and mucks, cold-caller smiles and flips over 22 !!!!!

Now thats a bad beat.

SoBeDude
05-17-2003, 05:21 PM
I show my aces proudly, next flashes queens and mucks, cold-caller smiles and flips over 22 !!!!!

runner-runner twos for four of a kind. amazing.

I'd have to get up and leave. No way I could prevent the autotilt!

-Scott