PDA

View Full Version : Americans don't have the same vocabulary as Canadians

Jett Rink
09-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Why is it that I can travel 2 hours south into the almighty US of A and they don't know what I'm talking about?

What kind of pop do you have? (No clue)
Do you have any serviettes? (No clue)
Where is the bathroom? (No clue)

Is there no bank machine here?
Actual answer..."What is a no bank machine?"

Any other good ones you've come across?

wh1t3bread
09-30-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is it that I can travel 2 hours south into the almighty US of A and they don't know what I'm talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, ask an AMERICAN next time and not one of our illegal immigrants from Central America.

BoogerFace
09-30-2005, 04:26 PM
You're right. We don't.

Why not stay in Canada? You won't be missed.

phage
09-30-2005, 04:26 PM
I moved down here 7 years ago and people still love to tell me how quaint my "Canadian" accent is...On the other hand I am still muttering about how they can't spell or speak properly.
I am a cranky old man. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

miajag81
09-30-2005, 04:27 PM
What's a serviette?

wh1t3bread
09-30-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's a serviette?

[/ QUOTE ]

A napkin.

STLantny
[ QUOTE ]

What kind of pop do you have? (No clue) Thats a regional thing
Do you have any serviettes? (No clue) ya, dont know about this one
Where is the bathroom? (No clue) Who the [censored] didnt know what a bathroom is....maybe they DIDNT KNOW WHERE IT WAS

Is there no bank machine here? Its called an ATM

[/ QUOTE ]

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, ask an AMERICAN next time and not one of our illegal immigrants from Central America.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Also, I say "pop" and people understand me. They usually laugh at me, though. I refuse to say 'soda'.

Hal 2000
[ QUOTE ]
What's a serviette?

[/ QUOTE ]

imported_The Vibesman
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you that people don't know what a bathroom or bank machine is??? Did you count the teeth?

krimson
09-30-2005, 04:30 PM
"Could I get a root beer?"

krimson
09-30-2005, 04:34 PM
This is funny, but off topic sort of. As we were driving back from the US last trip my gf got a drink at a gas station and when she got in the car she noticed the label said in big lettering:

"Now with less than 5% real juice!"

I [censored] you not. As if this is something they actually advertise as a selling point on a drink!

PoBoy321
09-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Some of this might just be regional terminology within the US. Like, I don't say 'pop' or 'bank machine' and definitely not 'serviette,' but I know what they are. I say soda, ATM and napkin. I guess some people who weren't used to the terms could get caught off guard though.

captZEEbo1
09-30-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I call bullshit, or you have some horrible accent somehow that americans can't understand.

RunDownHouse
09-30-2005, 04:46 PM
If they couldn't tell you where the bathroom was, try asking in English next time, not French.

ethan
09-30-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's a serviette?

[/ QUOTE ]

A French word for napkin.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like the French have a different word for everything.

BoogerFace
09-30-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's a serviette?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This explains it all. A quebecois frog goes to VT and tries to mix it up with guys in plaid flannel shirts at the Mobil station off the highway.

"AHOHHONO! No straws for my pop? Where is the no bank machines? Where is the bathrooms? I will have to pees in the ashtray in the car and wipe with a serviette! Maird!"

HopeydaFish
09-30-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you that people don't know what a bathroom or bank machine is??? Did you count the teeth?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in Buffalo a couple of years ago and I asked the cab driver to stop at the nearest bank machine. He had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. I had to think a few seconds before I remembered that they always call bank machines "ATMs" on American TV. When I told him I wanted an ATM he snarled at me "Why didn't you say that in the first place?!"

Using the word "serviette" to describe a "napkin" is a bit much. That's something my grandmother would do.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-30-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's a serviette?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This explains it all. A quebecois frog goes to VT and tries to mix it up with guys in plaid flannel shirts at the Mobil station off the highway.

"AHOHHONO! No straws for my pop? Where is the no bank machines? Where is the bathrooms? I will have to pees in the ashtray in the car and wipe with a serviette! Maird!"

[/ QUOTE ]
BIMO

09-30-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's a serviette?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You silly. When ever did Vermont have Olympics? Quebec have Olympics. ha ha

Vermont, is that Englisch name? NO, Verd Mont is Green Mountain in French. You name you states for French words. ha ha

jedi
09-30-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I was in Buffalo a couple of years ago and I asked the cab driver to stop at the nearest bank machine. He had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. I had to think a few seconds before I remembered that they always call bank machines "ATMs" on American TV. When I told him I wanted an ATM he snarled at me "Why didn't you say that in the first place?!"

Using the word "serviette" to describe a "napkin" is a bit much. That's something my grandmother would do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what is a serviette, though it might have taken me an extra second to figure it out. Bank machine and pop should be really easy, though I don't use those words myself. I swear, as the world gets smaller, it seems like people just stick to their own thing and have no comprehension that people do things differently in other parts of the state/country/world.

mslif
09-30-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's a serviette?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"AHOHHONO! No straws for my pop? Where is the no bank machines? Where is the bathrooms? I will have to pees in the ashtray in the car and wipe with a serviette! merde !"

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP /images/graemlins/wink.gif

SheetWise
09-30-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Also, I say "pop" and people understand me. They usually laugh at me, though. I refuse to say 'soda'.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just say soda-pop. Everyone will know what you mean, unless you dress like Liberace.

bobman0330
09-30-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You silly. When ever did Vermont have Olympics? Quebec have Olympics. ha ha

Vermont, is that Englisch name? NO, Verd Mont is Green Mountain in French. You name you states for French words. ohn ohn ohn (or however you transcribe that superior French snigger... certainly not "ha ha")

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

haakee
09-30-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe this.

haakee
09-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Lots of people in the U.S. don't know what "pop" is. It takes every bone in my body to not make fun of somebody who uses the term "pop" for soda.

El Barto
09-30-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lots of people in the U.S. don't know what "pop" is. It takes every bone in my body to not make fun of somebody who uses the term "pop" for soda.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have had entire threads on this topic. LINK (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1421498&an=&page=&vc=1)

Note, we map out the US, but ignore Canada. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

stabn
09-30-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My bay area x girlfriend still makes fun of me because i use the word pop. This is 6 years after the first time she heard me use it.

stabn
09-30-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just say soda-pop. Everyone will know what you mean, unless you dress like Liberace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both pop and soda are bettr than soda-pop. If you are going to say soda-pop you might as well say coke when you want to order a dr. pepper.

stabn
09-30-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not have known this because i do not speak french. The rest you listed are trivial and wound be understood by 90% of americans. Most likely they simply didn't feel like telling you.

SpearsBritney
09-30-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any serviettes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm Canadian, and I believe you'd get your ass kicked saying something like that man.

Sponger15SB
09-30-2005, 08:11 PM
"Boy those French, they have a different word for everything!"

-Steve Martin