PDA

View Full Version : Middle pair woes

Luke
05-16-2003, 05:01 PM
I'm fairly new to this game and wanted some suggestions on how more experienced players handle middle pairs. To me they are quite often the most tricky and annoying situations to play. So here goes:

1) I'm on the button with T9 spades in a 10 handed moderately loose passive 3-6 home game. No specific read on any of the players at this point. 1 EP and 2 MP limpers to me, I call, the SB completes and the BB knocks. Flop comes Q T 4 r. Checked to MP player who bets, call, I call, and 2 blinds fold. Turn - 7h making 2 hearts on the board. MP bets, call, I call. River - 2c. Bet, fold, I call. MP shows KQo. Was I too weak throughout this hand? Is the flop a raise or fold scenario? A clear fold on the turn? river? I figured on the turn I'm calling down more on the value of my 2nd pair being good than the chance 1 of my 5 outs would hit.

2) Same game - the majority of the players at this point seem to be reasonable but not tricky. I'm in MP with red nines. One limper to me, I raise, the button and BB call. 4 to the flop - Qh Th 6c. Checked around to the button who bets, call, call, I fold. An obvious or weak fold?

3)Same game - I get black tens UTG, I limp and am followed by 5 other limpers (the CO, button, SB and BB). 6 see the flop of Ks 5s 3h. Checked to me, I bet, call, call, fold, fold. Turn - 9c. I bet, call, call. River - 7c. I bet, call, fold. I lose to KJ. Was there anything I should/could have done better here?

Any advice, suggestions, even flames, would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Luke

Nottom
05-16-2003, 05:23 PM
Hand 1: I would call the flop and fold on the turn when I don't improve. Infact I would probably raise the flop and hope for a free card on the turn and to hopefully get rid of something like KT or J8 that would interfere with your outs. In a game like this, the chances of you hand being good as is are pretty slim.

Hand 2: Good laydown.

Hand 3: Raise pre-flop.