PDA

View Full Version : Lending your cellphone to a stranger

B Dids
09-30-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm on the bus yesterday. This kid comes back and sits down next to me, I'm in the very back seat, which is 4 wide, but at the time there's just me on the far right and another guy on the far left. This kid, well dressed kinda click looking Asian kid in a kangol, sits down next to me (instead on in the middle, which would be the expected thing to do, sit in the middle and THEN slide over if he needs to make room).

So he's sitting a little close, which is strange. Something about him just "feels" shady, but there's nothing really to this. He's just slightly fidigity and something feels off.

At some point he asks me for the time, and I don't wear a watch, so I pull out my cellphone to look at the time. A little bit later he gets my attention and mumbles something about "do I have change for a 5 and can he use my phone". I don't have change, and I decide that I'm just not comfortable with him using my phone. I'm not so sure that he's going to run with it, but I dunno, my impulse just doesn't trust him.

Dick move, or do you feel like just gut reaction alone is enough to say no in this spot?

(fwiw, race isn't an issue here, in case anybody asks)

diebitter
09-30-2005, 02:19 PM
Easy call. NO!

SL__72
09-30-2005, 02:21 PM
I let a stranger use my cellphone once... but it was like a 12 year old kid who needed to call his parents after a highschool football game or something like that.

peterchi
09-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Asian without a cellphone: Sketch-factor = Sketch-factor_prev * 20

Benholio
09-30-2005, 02:23 PM
No problem at all. You are just looking out for your personal property. I wouldn't trust this kid with anything of mine either.

InchoateHand
09-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Let him use the phone.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Dick move.

jakethebake
09-30-2005, 02:27 PM
No. Who goes around asking perfect strangers to use their phone anyway?

SCfuji
09-30-2005, 02:28 PM
hey bdiddy

i was waiting for my friend to pick me up from the bellagio in the parking structure right outside the entrance and some young lady about 24ish asks me if she can borrow my phone. i say sure - she seems like a nice enough person. so shes talking and talking and turns out it wasnt urgent. shes just chatting about the sun and clouds and what-not. my buddy arrives in his moms kickass minivan and i ask for my phone back. the dumb whore keeps talking and yippy yapping and i ask her again. i noticed that my buddy has driven by me because he didnt see me turned around and i just took my phone back out of her hands. i will never again let a stranger use my phone again unless it is an emergency.

istewart
09-30-2005, 02:30 PM
Ask him for his nunchucks as collateral.

drewjustdrew
09-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Sorry, my battery is kinda low and I'm waiting for a call and I am running out of minutes. Maybe if you didn't look like the japanese Samuel Jackson, you would find it easier to mooch. Please move over. I don't swing that way.

SL__72
09-30-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
nh

B Dids
09-30-2005, 02:33 PM
See, I didn't feel like lying. I just said "I'd prefer not to". Which might be more dickish, 'cause it said "I am not comfortable lending you my phone", but at least it wasn't "I am not comfortable lending you my phone and I'm going to make up a lie to cover it, for fear of offending, you, person who I will never see again".

B Dids
09-30-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This also crossed my mind. This guy had on nice [censored], he looked like the sort that SHOULD have a cellphone. The fact that he didn't made me feel more suspect.

09-30-2005, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't let him use it either. Just say,"Sorry man I'm low on minutes."

09-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Just say "Sorry Charlie".

drewjustdrew
09-30-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This also crossed my mind. This guy had on nice [censored], he looked like the sort that SHOULD have a cellphone. The fact that he didn't made me feel more suspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely yakuza or triad

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-30-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Would you lend it to the dirty bum on the street?

astroglide
09-30-2005, 03:36 PM
easy no. it's probably a good sign that you second-guess the decision too.

BoogerFace
09-30-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No. Who goes around asking perfect strangers to use their phone anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Little kids do this all the time. Usually to have mommy or daddy pick them up.

Action Scott
09-30-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm on the bus yesterday. This kid comes back and sits down next to me, I'm in the very back seat, which is 4 wide, but at the time there's just me on the far right and another guy on the far left. This kid, well dressed kinda click looking Asian kid in a kangol ,

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure it wasn't LL Cool J?