PDA

View Full Version : Good squeeze play here?

Black Aces 518
09-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Playing a $11 on Stars. I lost a good chunk fairly early and have built myself back to be the chip leader with 7 players left. Table has been very passive and weak, i have built from 1000 to 2600 without a showdown. Blinds at 50/100. UTG (1600 chips) minraises to 200, and MP3 (1700) calls. I'm button with K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Is this a good spot for a squeeze play raise to 1000? Figure it's tough for UTG to call without a monster due to the presence of MP3 and if MP3 was great, he would have reraised, yes? Push? Call? Fold?

pineapple888
09-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Hmmm. On a passive table, they both make trappy plays and you have the ultimate hand to get trapped with.

I think I'm calling, and playing very carefully if I don't hit the flop real hard. Or just folding to start with.

Of course, if you really expect them both to fold, you should raise it up.

kevstreet
09-30-2005, 02:51 PM
I don't like a squeeze play in this position. I'm always cautious w/ an UTG min-raise not to mention you've doubled your stack not having to show which means you've probably pushed your weight around already. Perhaps if you were closer to the bubble and UTG was hoping you'd take out MP3 but in this case I think it's too risky.

Black Aces 518
09-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Appreciate the first two responses. Does it change your mind any if you knew that minraises were the rule and not the exception at this table? I think I was the only player raising 3-4xBB. Even the BB minraised when there were 4 limpers and the SB completed in one hand.

pineapple888
09-30-2005, 03:39 PM
As I said, if you think your opponents will fold, you should raise.

Just realize that this is a very trappy situation.

Bill Poker
09-30-2005, 04:08 PM
for gods sake, it's 11!

pergesu
09-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Here's the problem dude. When you're pulling a squeeze, it works because the guy in the middle feels pressure due to the fact that there's somebody to act behind him.

At an $11, your opponent isn't going to care. Just dump it.

psyduck
09-30-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's the problem dude. When you're pulling a squeeze, it works because the guy in the middle feels pressure due to the fact that there's somebody to act behind him.

[/ QUOTE ]

09-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Nope. Mostly because of your position. If you were in the SB or the BB then I think there could be made more of an argument for Squeeze Play because you'll be out of position and want to take it down now.

But in this particular situation, you are on the button and have a hand that won't play badly in a 5 handed pot since it's high cards, suited and connected. Use your position to your advantage and outplay them on the flop.

At the same time, I would play it very slowly even if you hit the Q or K. gl.

xJMPx
09-30-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with pergesu here. For a squeeze play to work, you have to have a good read that the original raiser is raising too many hands and will release it to a raise. AND, you have to be really sure that the original caller realizes that the orginal raiser raises too often, is calling with a weaker holding, and will release his hand.

It's a stretch to hope that both of those two requirements will be met at the 11s.

stillbr
09-30-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for gods sake, it's 11!

[/ QUOTE ]

Black Aces 518
09-30-2005, 11:41 PM
I appreciate the feedback. I probably got too fancy when it was not necessary.

In the actual hand, I raised to 1000, UTG folded, MP3 took time bank and called. It came babies, MP3 checked, I pushed, MP3 took time bank and called with AJ. MHING.

Wondered if I fooled around unnecessarily and it looks like it's a resounding yes. Thanks.